Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: education system

yeah I can tell. Been having a battle all year with my grade 3 son who is frankly bored and acting up as a result. I expected him to repeat some work this year but its ridiculous. They are adamant the work is ok and just give him more of the same. He's had 2 teachers and 1 was good at handling him and ok at extending the work without moving onto year 4 work (of which he's already done some in the uk!) the current one has put him in the too difficult box.

I guess this can happen at any school so we are trying to rectify it but also seriously considering moving him to the local catholic school.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Instead of asking for school wide accountability they should, in my opinion, be asking is the school/teacher enabling my child to reach his/her potential.
And the vast majority of schools and teachers will not be able to tell you this.

To know this you need three pieces of information:

1. You need to know the child's aptitude - innate intelligence if you like.
2. You need explicit expected standards in literacy and numeracy for every age group.
2. You need to be able to get hold of empirical data or some other form of predictor which tells you what a child with the aptitude of your child should be achieving on the literacy and numeracy standards.

Now the problem in Australia is that not many schools aptitude test and if they do, you, as a parent won't find out the result.

Not only that but there are no explicit standards in many states....

So you can't measure your child's achievement against what the typical child with your child's aptitude will achieve.

Asking about individual potential is all well and good but I guarantee that in most cases you will hear nothing other than the meaningless - "fairly able" "average" etc.

And if you do get an accurate response - "your child is above the 90th percentile in terms of non-verbal reasoning" or whatever, then ask - OK, what should my child know and understand in mathematics by the age of 9?

And watch the blank faces.

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Nov 11th 2008 at 8:57 am. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
yeah I can tell. Been having a battle all year with my grade 3 son who is frankly bored and acting up as a result. I expected him to repeat some work this year but its ridiculous. They are adamant the work is ok and just give him more of the same. He's had 2 teachers and 1 was good at handling him and ok at extending the work without moving onto year 4 work (of which he's already done some in the uk!) the current one has put him in the too difficult box.

I guess this can happen at any school so we are trying to rectify it but also seriously considering moving him to the local catholic school.
And this appears to be a common problem in Australia. One size fits all with little differentiation. In England (which has a far from perfect education system), the key concern seems to be discipline and behaviour.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
And the vast majority of schools and teachers will not be able to tell you this.

2. You need explicit expected standards in literacy and numeracy for every age group.
2. You need to be able to get hold of empirical data or some other form of predictor which tells you what a child with the aptitude of your child should be achieving on the literacy and numeracy standards.

Now the problem in Australia is that not many schools aptitude test and if they do, you, as a parent won't find out the result.

So you can't measure your child's achievement against what the typical child with your child's aptitude will achieve.

Asking about individual potential is all well and good but I guarantee that in most cases you will hear nothing other than the meaningless - "fairly able" "average" etc.

And if you do get an accurate response - "your child is above the 90th percentile in terms of non-verbal reasoning" or whatever, then ask - OK, what should my child know and understand in mathematics by the age of 9?

Although, in general I agree with what you say, standards and percentiles mean absolutely nothing when you consider the individual child. Unfortunately, the average teacher , in any system, does not have the luxury, in time or sometimes expertise, to consider the individual. I started teaching just over 50 years ago and am still very frustrated that I cannot give each child the consideration he/she deserves, but I suppose that is the price we pay for "one size fits all" education systems. Have to say I am not enamoured, in general, with the quality of teachers I see in schools today.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

OK, what should my child know and understand in mathematics by the age of 9?

This is exactly what I asked (except that my child was 10) and was given photocopies of some sheets headed up Number > Level 2 Elaboration and Number > Level 3 Elaboration which each contain 2 A4 sheets of text. I am none the wiser. I have also been informed that my child was on the 96th%ile on the mathematics component of the PEAC test which is apparently a good score but I still don't know what measure is being used to arrive at this figure.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

As a univerity educated adult from the UK who went to a primary school with no testing to see how i was doing against the rest of my class i quite like the australian system which develops the whole and allows kids to be kids.
I dont know what you are all concerned about!!!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

Unfortunately those three things won't really help because.

1, Aptitude tests are notoriously poor at actually producing anything more than a vague idea of a child intellegence- something any decent teacher should be able to tell you within a couple of weeks of lessons

2, Setting explicit standards is only possible for the 'average' it's impossible to be explicit about a whole age group as the difference in where they should be is huge. Setting these standards only encourages lessons to be taught to the middle of the class and lets down the top and bottom.

3, There is some value in predicting where a student should get to by a certain point, but it's very limited due to the vast number of variables that affect this attainment (both positively and negatively) so the chances of setting unrealistic or stupidly easy targets by this method is so high as to make it actually damaging to their education.

There is no evidence whatsoever that schools in the UK have improved following the introduction of continued testing of aptitude and knowledge or the publication of league tables, and I for one am glad schools over here do not have them as they do not improve teaching and learning one iota.

Having said all that I am also not impressed with the standards of teaching over here- I sat through in service training recently on differentiation and so much of what was being put forward was to my mind, very basic skills. This lack of differentiation is also coupled with a greater prevalence of mixed ability classes which the teachers are generally not catering for. The middle are taught to , the lower abilities are lost if not supported by SEN, and the most able get bored and disaffected.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

any decent teacher

And this is measured how exactly.....?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

I dont know what you are all concerned about!!!

Spoken by someone who does not have children at school in Australia?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Unfortunately those three things won't really help because.

1, Aptitude tests are notoriously poor at actually producing anything more than a vague idea of a child intellegence- something any decent teacher should be able to tell you within a couple of weeks of lessons

2, Setting explicit standards is only possible for the 'average' it's impossible to be explicit about a whole age group as the difference in where they should be is huge. Setting these standards only encourages lessons to be taught to the middle of the class and lets down the top and bottom.

3, There is some value in predicting where a student should get to by a certain point, but it's very limited due to the vast number of variables that affect this attainment (both positively and negatively) so the chances of setting unrealistic or stupidly easy targets by this method is so high as to make it actually damaging to their education.

There is no evidence whatsoever that schools in the UK have improved following the introduction of continued testing of aptitude and knowledge or the publication of league tables, and I for one am glad schools over here do not have them as they do not improve teaching and learning one iota.

Having said all that I am also not impressed with the standards of teaching over here- I sat through in service training recently on differentiation and so much of what was being put forward was to my mind, very basic skills. This lack of differentiation is also coupled with a greater prevalence of mixed ability classes which the teachers are generally not catering for. The middle are taught to , the lower abilities are lost if not supported by SEN, and the most able get bored and disaffected.

I think the UK has taken testing to the other extreme - and it's a system which I disagree with.

I don't agree with your earlier points though. If I have data on 10000 kids who have varying degrees of aptitude in Year 7 and 5 years later have varying degrees of mathematical ability shown in a Year 12 general maths paper then I should be able to plonk my Year 7 child on to this chart and find out how much of the final paper, 5 years down the line, he would be expected to get right.

Yes it uses the average of 10000 kids but statistically it gives a key indicator as to your child's potential. OK, so you might not hold your child to that attainment level but if you have a child who, according to past data should be heading towards 90% on a Y12 maths paper and they are still studying their two times table in class at Year 7 then it becomes pretty powerful in terms of parent-school discussion!
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=NKSK version 2;6961527]... and they are still studying their two times table in class at Year 7 ...

Or, in deed in year 5 as was the case at my son's school
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Statistics have nothing to do with the quality of education.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually

Or, in deed in year 5 as was the case at my son's school
My daughter is in Year 5 and they have been doing joined up writing at her school since year 3 and they have done all their tables up to 12.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
My daughter is in Year 5 and they have been doing joined up writing at her school since year 3 and they have done all their tables up to 12.
Which just illustrates what happens when there is no formal curriculum.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Statistics have nothing to do with the quality of education.
Yes they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.