Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

education system

education system

Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:01 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: education system

Originally Posted by viviennef
In 6 years I haven't yet met anyone with their children in state secondary school.
I did read that about 40% of Secondary school kids are private, a bit higher than in Junior.

I had planned to send mine privately which I wouldn't have ever considered in the UK.
I think many of us would probably be the same, the UK private schools cost a fortune. I never even considered it until I found out that it wasn't too expensive here.

Private schooling for 3 will cost $45,000 per year plus uniform and books etc.
Ouch, that's a lot. Which school is that ? Our school is under half that price, and is not the cheapest in our area.

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I went to one of the worst public schools in South Western Sydney(one of the worst in NSW) and managed to get into Town Planning at a high ranking Uni. I now work for a University and am planning on working for the Federal Govt in the Trade Commission very soon.

My sister had the same high school education but no Uni education and she is an executive Payroll Manager at a large bank.

My brother dropped out of high school after year 10 and is getting paid handsomely in IT at the Stock Exchange.

You see in the end Australia has something most of the UK does not have: SOCIAL MOBILITY

There are too many pompous elitists holding back good people in the UK because of their lack of education - or lack of 'quality' education.

Quite frankly education is overrated, and this is coming from a Uni graduate who works at a Uni. Self initiative and personal drive are far more important in life.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I went to one of the worst public schools in South Western Sydney(one of the worst in NSW) and managed to get into Town Planning at a high ranking Uni. I now work for a University and am planning on working for the Federal Govt in the Trade Commission very soon.

My sister had the same high school education but no Uni education and she is an executive Payroll Manager at a large bank.

My brother dropped out of high school after year 10 and is getting paid handsomely in IT at the Stock Exchange.

You see in the end Australia has something most of the UK does not have: SOCIAL MOBILITY

There are too many pompous elitists holding back good people in the UK because of their lack of education - or lack of 'quality' education.

Quite frankly education is overrated, and this is coming from a Uni graduate who works at a Uni. Self initiative and personal drive are far more important in life.
I agree to a point... Self initiative and personal drive are overall more important than the facts you learn at school- however you will find that many of those that achieve at school do so because of just these qualities. Of course some people acquire them later in life but unfortunately a large number of those that won't work in school end up lacking the basic skills that are also needed to achieve. I don't think education is overrated, but then as a teacher (in a state school from feb) I would say that. However I think it's important to remember that schools do not only teach the syllabus but a large number of other skills too e.g. team work, communication skills etc.

As for primary school teachers over here having a literacy bias- the same is true of the UK. They may have to do numeracy more because of the NC, but some of the maths (and science) is appalingly taught and has to be retaught at secondary.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:49 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I kind of agree with you Mr Grumpy like most parents I think you try to tick all the boxes - education, driving license, travel, watching wales in the millenium stadium, wedding etc.

I was looking at st Peters Lutheran in brissie which is around 13k per yr plus school trips and music lessons. My brother says he pays 15k per year.

Shall shop around I think - I was just taking his infdo on cost.

Anyone know how you find exam result table for different schools?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:54 am
ABCDiamond

I kind of agree with you Mr Grumpy like most parents I think you try to tick all the boxes - education, driving license, travel, watching wales in the millenium stadium, wedding etc.

I was looking at st Peters Lutheran in brissie which is around 13k per yr plus school trips and music lessons. My brother says he pays 15k per year.

I think you will need to ask each school individually for their results.

Your figure for St Peters Lutheran is interesting. I assumed all the Lutheran schools would be similar priced, but I was wrong. Faith Lutheran is about half of St Peters Lutheran fees, at about $6,000 per year.

Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

In ACT the secondary school private school enrolment is 50% which I think is an indictment on the govt system which tries to bluff its way out and blame it on upwardly mobile parents with plenty of disposable cash - bollocks really and more to do with the PC approach, poor educational standards and not behaviour management. The bulk do come back for college though when the poor behaviour has largely disappeared. At primary I think we are sitting on something like 43% private. As for curriculum - not only do we not have a national curriculum, in ACT each school is responsible for the development of its own curriculum!!! Now if that isn't daft I don't know what is!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

there are no league tables as such. For secondary info in VIC this is the closest you'll get http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vce/stati...nData-2007.pdf
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Much of what you say makes sense (and I have seen it with my own eyes). But thinking that the Old Boy's network is not alive and kicking in Perth at least is wrong.

You get a long way in Perth if you went to the 'right' school.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Much of what you say makes sense (and I have seen it with my own eyes). But thinking that the Old Boy's network is not alive and kicking in Perth at least is wrong.

And in Melbourne- the likes of Scotch college have a very strong network!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:36 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that would be everywhere, you can't get away from knowing and understanding anothers educational history. I would probably employ someone from my university if I had a choice.

Now to find out what school is the best I suppose - this thread has helped by making me realise my brother has just chosen the ponciest of ponciest and on further research I have found none so expensive in the Sunshine Coast. Of course money is not the main criteria but its a non starter if its over 10k per year per child for me.

Going to start them at Buderim State school - anyone know anything about that?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that would be everywhere, you can't get away from knowing and understanding anothers educational history. I would probably employ someone from my university if I had a choice.

Now to find out what school is the best I suppose - this thread has helped by making me realise my brother has just chosen the ponciest of ponciest and on further research I have found none so expensive in the Sunshine Coast. Of course money is not the main criteria but its a non starter if its over 10k per year per child for me.

Going to start them at Buderim State school - anyone know anything about that?
Just as a side point. Many people are seduced by private education - particularly perhaps those coming from the UK where it is seen as a real luxury.

Private education in Australia most certainly does not always equal a good education. I know stories from some schools which would make your hair curl and would probably cause you to pocket that $6000 you were just about to hand over.

Being in Australia has forced me to take an extremely active role in my kids' education. Now I might have done this anyhow but I'm afraid that the inconsistencies in the system here, the absence of a concrete syllabus and the lack of accountability causes a real breakdown in trust between parent and school.

You really need to get actively involved in literacy and numeracy standards and ensure that your child is at the standard where you believe they should be.

In terms of getting hold of explicit standards, NSW is probably at the top of the league, WA and QLD probably at the bottom. If you're in these last two states and you feel like you're are in a never-ending chase for what your child should or should not know, go outside the state - or even outside the country - to get the required information.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a side point. Many people are seduced by private education - particularly perhaps those coming from the UK where it is seen as a real luxury.
To me it's a necessity, the govt. schools in the northern Perth suburbs are shite, as you know. So to even get an "average" education you need to go private. The TEE results which you often post a link to speak for themselves.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
To me it's a necessity, the govt. schools in the northern Perth suburbs are shite, as you know. So to even get an "average" education you need to go private. The TEE results which you often post a link to speak for themselves.
Agree. I wouldn't send my kids to any of those northern suburbs state schools. More parents should recognise how crap most of them really are.

I suppose I was thinking that there are a few state schools in Perth which knock the socks of many private schools in terms of results.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with the fact you can get hit and miss with private schools.

My son is very good at Maths and Physics, first Catholic fee paying school work was way too easy. He found it a bit of a holiday.

However now in another Catholic Fee Paying to ensure he got his Maths and Physics TEE and the work is a huge leap from the previous school. Also lots of homework etc.

As with the UK, you need to look around each school and ask lots of questions. In the UK crap schools and good schools close by.

Mind you Ive noticed here they are quite into showing you around the schools once the kids have gone home! Something we hate, as we like to see the kids and work.

Hubby is a primary teacher and has been surprised at huge differences between class teachers just in one school. He is still teaching everything and to each childs ability, deputies are amazed at his planning and organization.
Nothing new to UK teachers.

He thinks some schools here just give the whole class an English or Maths book that you fill in the blanks. This works for average ability but rubbish for above or below average students. He also thinks that using these books limits the amount of a writing kids do in schools here. Australian teachers love them but he thinks they are crap.

Son is in Year 11 and he says nobody in the two schools he has attended writes in joined handwriting. Everyone just writes in primary school print!
Hubby is learning his Year 3 to do joined writing,as he has always done it.

One thing I have been surprised at how homeschooling is so popular here.
More popular than in the UK.

Gems
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gems
Totally agree with the fact you can get hit and miss with private schools.

My son is very good at Maths and Physics, first Catholic fee paying school work was way too easy. He found it a bit of a holiday.

However now in another Catholic Fee Paying to ensure he got his Maths and Physics TEE and the work is a huge leap from the previous school. Also lots of homework etc.

As with the UK, you need to look around each school and ask lots of questions. In the UK crap schools and good schools close by.

Mind you Ive noticed here they are quite into showing you around the schools once the kids have gone home! Something we hate, as we like to see the kids and work.

Hubby is a primary teacher and has been surprised at huge differences between class teachers just in one school. He is still teaching everything and to each childs ability, deputies are amazed at his planning and organization.
Nothing new to UK teachers.

He thinks some schools here just give the whole class an English or Maths book that you fill in the blanks. This works for average ability but rubbish for above or below average students. He also thinks that using these books limits the amount of a writing kids do in schools here. Australian teachers love them but he thinks they are crap.

Son is in Year 11 and he says nobody in the two schools he has attended writes in joined handwriting. Everyone just writes in primary school print!
Hubby is learning his Year 3 to do joined writing,as he has always done it.

One thing I have been surprised at how homeschooling is so popular here.
More popular than in the UK.

Gems
At my current school (fee paying, catholic secondary) a number of children can't even write a coherent sentance- let alone in joined up writing. They winge if you tell them to write more than one word for an answer and even my VCE students can't write a propper answer to a question that actually makes sense. If all they are doing in primary school is filling in blanks this all of a sudden makes sense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.