Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Education QLD Aaah!!

Education QLD Aaah!!

Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Angry Education QLD Aaah!!

Sorry but I need a rant! Please tell me fellow teachers that this will not go on for much longer!

Registered as a Primary Teacher in QLD, sent the next stage (Authorisation to teach) in July but understood they wouldn't process it as I didn't arrive in Oz till 2nd Sept.
Anyway arrived, called the Gold Coast North office told them I was here, gave them my address and that was that. Was told it would only take half an hour!!!!
Nothing for the first week, schools close for hols. I turn up in person to the office, told it will be done soon. Called a week later, lady who deals with them has gone on leave! Turn up again at the office when she returns.....is not at her desk but we will get it sorted by the beginning of Term 4, I am told!
Called again yesterday and managed to get hold of the lady who deals with this(apparently she is the only one who has this job!!! ). She basically tells me she is too busy dealing with Graduates and transfers to complete General Applicants at this time!
I inform her that they have had my application since July and I actually do need to work!! She says she understands but I wouldn't get temp or permanent work at this stage anyway! I reply that I know this I was only expecting to do casual work this term!!
Anyway she said there is no way she can do my letter this week, 'maybe' next week!!
So, I am going into the office next week again to hound her , and am wondering about submitting a formal complaint? Probably won't do me any good with getting this letter any faster! What to do? Am rather frustrated!

Last edited by JG04; Sep 29th 2005 at 12:31 am.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nicegoldcoastrealestate is just really nice
Default Re: Education QLD Aaah!!

Originally Posted by JG04
Sorry but I need a rant! Please tell me fellow teachers that this will not go on for much longer!

Registered as a Primary Teacher in QLD, sent the next stage (Authorisation to teach) in July but understood they wouldn't process it as I didn't arrive in Oz till 2nd Sept.
Anyway arrived, called the Gold Coast North office told them I was here, gave them my address and that was that. Was told it would only take half an hour!!!!
Nothing for the first week, schools close for hols. I turn up in person to the office, told it will be done soon. Called a week later, lady who deals with them has gone on leave! Turn up again at the office when she returns.....is not at her desk but we will get it sorted by the beginning of Term 4, I am told!
Called again yesterday and managed to get hold of the lady who deals with this(apparently she is the only one who has this job!!! ). She basically tells me she is too busy dealing with Graduates and transfers to complete General Applicants at this time!
I inform her that they have had my application since July and I actually do need to work!! She says she understands but I wouldn't get temp or permanent work at this stage anyway! I reply that I know this I was only expecting to do casual work this term!!
Anyway she said there is no way she can do my letter this week, 'maybe' next week!!
So, I am going into the office next week again to hound her , and am wondering about submitting a formal complaint? Probably won't do me any good with getting this letter any faster! What to do? Am rather frustrated!
I am big on complimenting and complaining! If I am not happy with service, I will let the organisation know about it. It is all about good service and you did not receive it. I am assuming this is a government organisation - welcome to dealing with the public service!

I do not know how temp teaching works but our lovely school sometimes cannot get emergency teachers, probably notice is too short to find someone. Maybe you could contact the private schools on the coast as they work independently of QLD Education.

Gayle
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I do have to admit that the examples of poor Australian bureaucracy I read on this site does worry me!
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Thanks for that. I have decided to go in to the office again next week and complain if the letter isn't ready. (In the nicest possible way of course! )
Local private schools have me on their supply lists so fingers crossed that something will come up. At least I've got a wicked tan at the moment!!!

Originally Posted by goldcoastrealestate
I am big on complimenting and complaining! If I am not happy with service, I will let the organisation know about it. It is all about good service and you did not receive it. I am assuming this is a government organisation - welcome to dealing with the public service!

I do not know how temp teaching works but our lovely school sometimes cannot get emergency teachers, probably notice is too short to find someone. Maybe you could contact the private schools on the coast as they work independently of QLD Education.

Gayle

Last edited by JG04; Sep 30th 2005 at 7:25 am.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:37 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
I do have to admit that the examples of poor Australian bureaucracy I read on this site does worry me!

poor bureaucracy?
dont you mean over the top bureaucracy
it would seem that you have to have licence in triplicate
signed personnaly by the pope
just to mow your own damn lawn
i thought we ( UK ) were getting giddy paperwork wise
the aussies beat us hands down every time

any thoughts on this ?????
Old Sep 30th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Hi
Some months ago you helped me with QLD teacher registration.

Firstly congratulations on starting your new life.

I thought I would update you on my registration which I am also unhappy about.

You may remember that we wanted to go to QLD but were fearful of the work situation. I decided in early August to apply for permission to teach in NSW and QLD. I was registered in NSW within 3 weeks.

QLD are another issue, I have not heard a thing other than my credit card having the $150 fee withdrawn immediately (in August). Needless to say we are now moving to NSW in 26 days. Another annoying thing is QLD persuaded me to register for this academic year which is a joke.

The next academic year registration starts early November.

At this rate I will have to pay again to renew my registration (if I ever get it) and the $150 will have been wasted because this academic year is nearly over.

Well I hope that makes sense but I share your despair with the education system.

The very best of luck, hold on to the thought that you may be poor but you're in Australia you lucky thing!
xx
Tara
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

What to do? Am rather frustrated!
Education Queensland, a *****ing oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Try and avoid at all costs - private is definitely the way to go work wise. Try not to get worked up about it, but you will be sent on a paper chase. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'd try the head office in the city.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Education Queensland, a *****ing oxymoron if ever I heard one.

Try and avoid at all costs - private is definitely the way to go work wise. Try not to get worked up about it, but you will be sent on a paper chase. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I'd try the head office in the city.
do you teach in QLD and if so was it easy to get work? Don't you need the registration to teach in private too?
Tara
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ali south
do you teach in QLD and if so was it easy to get work? Don't you need the registration to teach in private too?
Tara
I have taught in Queensland and South Australia.

Currently in Queensland you can get a mathematics or science teaching job, anywhere that you would like, I teach IT in senior school, so I have had work all this year. (I cannot comment on other subjects or primary teaching).

But I have been messed around with far too much regarding contracts and having been expected to teach any given subject regardless of your area of expertise. Professionally I feel as though I have stepped straight out of teacher training and have had so much preparation its been ridiculous.

Dealing with HR is a complete joke, pass the buck seems to be their motto.

You need your Certificate of Teacher Registration, which confirms that you are a qualified teacher.

You then apply to work for Education Queensland to teach in the state system. This is where the OP seems to be having all the hassles. Not that I am at all surprised.

You can also apply to teach directly at any private school. These can be private as similar to the UK (around $10000 per annum) or Religious (around $3000 per annum).
Old Sep 30th 2005, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
I have taught in Queensland and South Australia.

Currently in Queensland you can get a mathematics or science teaching job, anywhere that you would like, I teach IT in senior school, so I have had work all this year. (I cannot comment on other subjects or primary teaching).

But I have been messed around with far too much regarding contracts and having been expected to teach any given subject regardless of your area of expertise. Professionally I feel as though I have stepped straight out of teacher training and have had so much preparation its been ridiculous.

Dealing with HR is a complete joke, pass the buck seems to be their motto.

You need your Certificate of Teacher Registration, which confirms that you are a qualified teacher.

You then apply to work for Education Queensland to teach in the state system. This is where the OP seems to be having all the hassles. Not that I am at all surprised.

You can also apply to teach directly at any private school. These can be private as similar to the UK (around $10000 per annum) or Religious (around $3000 per annum).
thanks for your replying considering I have waited three months for my registration to be processed and I still do not have a reply I feel that I may have made the right decision to start in NSW. Would love to move to QLD at some stage through.
Thanks again
Tara
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:19 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I have decided to go in to the office again next week and complain if the letter isn't ready. (In the nicest possible way of course! )
Local private schools have me on their supply lists so fingers crossed that something will come up. At least I've got a wicked tan at the moment!!!
I wouldn't complain if I was you, it will get you nowhere out here. Infact it will almost certainly move your application to the bottom of the pile.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 11:37 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Welcome to Education Qld - the biggest f*** up on god's earth. Thank god I'm not a teacher but as you know sam is. I don't know how she does it - the system doesn't make any sense, completely stuck in the dark ages.

There was an article on the front page of the Australian a couple of days ago slating the 'new age' primary teaching - meaning new basics. Stay well clear of a new basics school - complete shambles. Kids learn how to surf the net and use word but can't spell, count or have any knowledge of history or science....

sad state of affairs.

R
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies.
I am now thinking of going back to Uni or doing TAFE courses and changing careers altogether! Have applied to some private schools for 2006 start but have heard nothing which is quite demoralising. I've got tons of experience including head of year, have done loads of extra curricular stuff, have glowing references and am only in my early 30's. What more do they want?
Nevermind, keep positive!!! As you mentioned ali south, I am here and that's the main thing. I do have a TEFL interview next week, didn't think I would have to fall back on that but needs must. Hubby will just have to get a wicked job and I'll become a kept woman!!! Anyway off to enjoy the sunshine!