Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

EDUCATION IN PERTH ?

EDUCATION IN PERTH ?

Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

sparkylad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EDUCATION IN PERTH ?

Hi all, my family and i lived in Geelong Victoria three years ago. We are presently in the UK however planning to return to Aus next year. Schools were awful in Geelong. My kids being the equivalent of two full school years ahead of the aus system. Are there good schools in Perth ? I realise if we stay in Aus for good it wont matter, however my eldest wants to return to UK for university. ADVISE ????
Old Apr 28th 2010, 11:03 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EDUCATION IN PERTH ?

Originally Posted by sparkylad
Hi all, my family and i lived in Geelong Victoria three years ago. We are presently in the UK however planning to return to Aus next year. Schools were awful in Geelong. My kids being the equivalent of two full school years ahead of the aus system. Are there good schools in Perth ? I realise if we stay in Aus for good it wont matter, however my eldest wants to return to UK for university. ADVISE ????
All I will say is that once you have left the UK you will be liable for overseas students fees for UK University so think long and hard if this is what your eldest child wants. Schools are a very touchy subject, most Brits think their kids are streets ahead of the Perth locals and the schools are crap. Best state schools in Perth are Rossmoyne, Shenton College, Churchlands SHS. Best privates will set you back from $15k per year.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:20 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

There are good schools in Perth, but I think you will still find that your kids are much further ahead than kids there. Stating the obvious, but the education system prepares Australians for their universities and the UK for theirs, so they're obviously different.
Our lot started their education in Perth and we moved back to the Uk when the eldest was nearly nine. It took them about a term to catch up with their peers there (although I'm not sure that they were that far behind in the level, just the volume of work expected). I have to say though, that our friend's daughter is in Perth and is on a scholarship at one of the private schools. She is two years older than our youngest, but looking at her work, she's doing pretty much what our daughter is doing without the level of depth.
We moved to Sydney last year when the eldest was 14 and have to say were shocked at what was expected of them. The fourteen year old was doing work that she'd done 2-3 years previously (and she'd moved from year 9 in the UK to year 9 in Aus) and much of the work was completing worksheets. We were told by several teachers that 'the curriculum will eventually catch up with them'! Not great, but as we were not returning to live in the UK, it'd be ok. Then our older two started saying they definitely wanted to go to university in the UK. There were many more issues with the school, which I won't go into here as they're not relevant, but mean that I've returned to the UK with the girls and they're back at school there, while my husband works here.

How old is your son? I ask because our eldest is in year 10 in the uk, but would be year 11 in Perth and would be leaving school at the end of next year, whereas in the UK she has another 3 years. They changed the start time for school in WA about 8 years ago, so those who started school then will be older when they leave.
If he's determined to go to uni in the UK it would be much better to leave him there so you don't have international fees to pay and his A levels would make it much easier for him to get a place, rather than the TEE, or whatever they have in WA now.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Independent international testing shows results are similar in both countries.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 3:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Independent international testing shows results are similar in both countries.
Agree, the end result is the same in both countries.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids are in qld and like perth starting ages have changed. As ours are on the 'old' system the youngest will finish grade 12 when he is still 16. Much earlier than UK.

Secondly check just how eligible they will be with a aussie education. We at one stage checked the university of sussex, they would need a OP of 1 - 5 to even be considered, that would be the very top set of Aus students. Aussie education didnt rank that high in SInagpore either for mates who returned, their kids were top of the school in OZ, and neither could get into a Sinagpore University, after SIngapore National Service they had no choice but to return to OZ for Uni.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I would prefer my kids to go to uni in the UK, just because I think that there's a much broader experience to be gained and I also have questions about the quality of academic standards in Perth. If kids do uni in Perth, but want to spend time studying in the UK, some unis allow exchange programmes where the students spend a semester or so overseas. There are also lots of scholarship options for postgrad study in the UK, if they did their undergrad degree in Perth. Might also depend on what they want to study (would be pointless studying European languages in Perth, for example).

Even kids who have only ever been to primary school in Perth often find the work too easy and boring. It appears to be up to each teacher to decide what they teach, so there are big variations from one school to another, or even one class to another in the same school. High schools seem to be better from what I hear, but our kids are still in primary. Our son had a different teacher recently, who was astonished to find that his class had never used an atlas in class (he's 12).
Old Apr 29th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

we as good edumacation in australia nowt 2 b worry about, it good yus
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dave99
i was not saying its inferior, it is however at very different stages. I have many relatives in aus who have done very wel in uni down under.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
h'it's h'edumaction - learn to spell you unh'edumacated brit!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:33 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

WHat about Geelong Grammer school where Prince Charles went to for a year?
one of the best schools in OZ but very expensive.
Lots of AUssie parents spend a fortune sending their kids to private schools because the public schools are no good, l think you get what you pay for it has nothing to do with where you live, theres good and bad schools in every state.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CEM
There are good schools in Perth, but I think you will still find that your kids are much further ahead than kids there. Stating the obvious, but the education system prepares Australians for their universities and the UK for theirs, so they're obviously different.
Our lot started their education in Perth and we moved back to the Uk when the eldest was nearly nine. It took them about a term to catch up with their peers there (although I'm not sure that they were that far behind in the level, just the volume of work expected). I have to say though, that our friend's daughter is in Perth and is on a scholarship at one of the private schools. She is two years older than our youngest, but looking at her work, she's doing pretty much what our daughter is doing without the level of depth.
We moved to Sydney last year when the eldest was 14 and have to say were shocked at what was expected of them. The fourteen year old was doing work that she'd done 2-3 years previously (and she'd moved from year 9 in the UK to year 9 in Aus) and much of the work was completing worksheets. We were told by several teachers that 'the curriculum will eventually catch up with them'! Not great, but as we were not returning to live in the UK, it'd be ok. Then our older two started saying they definitely wanted to go to university in the UK. There were many more issues with the school, which I won't go into here as they're not relevant, but mean that I've returned to the UK with the girls and they're back at school there, while my husband works here.

How old is your son? I ask because our eldest is in year 10 in the uk, but would be year 11 in Perth and would be leaving school at the end of next year, whereas in the UK she has another 3 years. They changed the start time for school in WA about 8 years ago, so those who started school then will be older when they leave.
If he's determined to go to uni in the UK it would be much better to leave him there so you don't have international fees to pay and his A levels would make it much easier for him to get a place, rather than the TEE, or whatever they have in WA now.
hi thanks for your reply, eldest girl only coming 13 and eldest boy 11 he is due to go to local grammer school. They are very focussed (@ present) and enjoy learning. I see you felt the need to return to the UK afterall for uni...maybe im thinking ahead too much, afterall we may stay in aus ? a lot ifs & buts. We need to decide to return soon or we loose our visas.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northernbird
All I will say is that once you have left the UK you will be liable for overseas students fees for UK University so think long and hard if this is what your eldest child wants. Schools are a very touchy subject, most Brits think their kids are streets ahead of the Perth locals and the schools are crap. Best state schools in Perth are Rossmoyne, Shenton College, Churchlands SHS. Best privates will set you back from $15k per year.
Thanks for ur reply, its a few years off before they reach uni age, but i dont want to mess those critical years up their gcse / A levels. Only relevant offcourse if we do not stay in aus.....
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:22 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

hi thanks for your reply, eldest girl only coming 13 and eldest boy 11 he is due to go to local grammer school. They are very focussed (@ present) and enjoy learning. I see you felt the need to return to the UK afterall for uni...maybe im thinking ahead too much, afterall we may stay in aus ? a lot ifs & buts. We need to decide to return soon or we loose our visas.

You have a bit of time on your side then. I returned to the uk for our lot to finish school (they're 15, 13 and 11), particularly the older two who have always loved school, but just 'switched off' in Sydney and hated their school there. We had to make a quick decision because of the timing for gcse's.

Could you go for a year or two to see how it goes? You'd still have time to return to the uk if you felt it wasn't working and your visa wouldn't be wasted. I suppose it would be difficult to get them back into the grammar school then though? The selective schools seem to work through the curriculum quickly, so it might be more difficult for them. Even though we were only away for a year this time my middle daughter (year 9) has not been able to catch up in Latin, so can't take that at gcse and won't take the IT gcse with the others as her skills aren't nearly as good as the rest of her year.

It's so difficult to decide what to do for the best, but would you regret not going more than regretting going and it not working?

Good luck