Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Economic clairvoyants?

Economic clairvoyants?

Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice
Default Economic clairvoyants?

Dear All,

It seems that the papers over here are full of doom and gloom regarding the financial prospects for the next few years.

Clearly we are strongly tied to the yanks and if the whole sub-prime fiasco unsettles them then the British economy will also start to wobble.

My question is this, is the Aussie economy linked more closely to the American or the Asian markets? or is it indeed a self sustaining single entity?

My reasons for asking are purely biased, we currently live just outside Manchester where the housing market is looking decidely iffy and are looking to move to the Gold Coast where prices are going through the roof. I am hoping against hope that if there is going to be a global recession that it will peg back prices in Oz a bit and help us bridge the gap?!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Best regards,

Russell.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economic clairvoyants?

Originally Posted by Brentacc
Dear All,

It seems that the papers over here are full of doom and gloom regarding the financial prospects for the next few years.

Clearly we are strongly tied to the yanks and if the whole sub-prime fiasco unsettles them then the British economy will also start to wobble.

My question is this, is the Aussie economy linked more closely to the American or the Asian markets? or is it indeed a self sustaining single entity?

My reasons for asking are purely biased, we currently live just outside Manchester where the housing market is looking decidely iffy and are looking to move to the Gold Coast where prices are going through the roof. I am hoping against hope that if there is going to be a global recession that it will peg back prices in Oz a bit and help us bridge the gap?!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Best regards,

Russell.
Australia's economy is now more linked to Asia than the US. A US slowdown, if it occurs, will affect us but not to the extent it would have done in the past. The only thing that is going to derail the Australian economy is a Asian economic meltdown. It could happen but is unlikely. Queensland's economy is still growing strongly and with continuing interstate migration, house prices will continue to climb. Interest rates are still going up here and this could eventually stabilise the market or even cause a drop in prices but don't hold your breath. The market will slow eventually but it will be a lot higher than it is now.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economic clairvoyants?

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...18-462,00.html

Access Economics also remains confident that China's strength should carry Australia's economic growth, underwriting a notable lift in coal and iron ore prices.

But the consultancy group has warned in its latest assessment this month that the risk of China "turning from a benefactor to basket case is rising".

"If and when China finally stumbles - perhaps in 2009 rather than 2008, with the Beijing Olympics safely out of the way - Australia could see what has been a long-delayed downturn," it says.

"And it has been so long since we've had one that the next downturn will hurt."