Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easy Pension transfer

Easy Pension transfer

Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:14 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough
Default Easy Pension transfer

I have just transferred my Standard Life UK personal pension to my smsf. I have to say that the process was very simple, easy and straightforward especially compared to the pension transfers I made last year that needed numerous forms and paperwork. It has now become almost too easy since the new QROPS system was introduced from April.

The only form to sign was an Inland Revenue one because it was a protected rights scheme. The rest was done by phone with a couple of calls with verification etc. and an email copy of my QROPS approval. They even took the Australian bank account details for transfer over the phone.

So I would recommend that anyone, having decided that pension transfer is right for them - which would almost certainly be the case for a personal pension, to do it themselves. There is no need to pay the excessive unjustified commissions charged by some pension transfer companies. And the process really has been simplified enormously. But you do need QROPS approval first which in itself is a simple declaration of future compliance.

Regards
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Saint Andy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Easy Pension transfer

Originally Posted by jumbo
I have just transferred my Standard Life UK personal pension to my smsf. I have to say that the process was very simple, easy and straightforward especially compared to the pension transfers I made last year that needed numerous forms and paperwork. It has now become almost too easy since the new QROPS system was introduced from April.

The only form to sign was an Inland Revenue one because it was a protected rights scheme. The rest was done by phone with a couple of calls with verification etc. and an email copy of my QROPS approval. They even took the Australian bank account details for transfer over the phone.

So I would recommend that anyone, having decided that pension transfer is right for them - which would almost certainly be the case for a personal pension, to do it themselves. There is no need to pay the excessive unjustified commissions charged by some pension transfer companies. And the process really has been simplified enormously. But you do need QROPS approval first which in itself is a simple declaration of future compliance.

Regards

Hi Jumbo, Can I ask how long the whole pension transfer process took. My understanding is that we have 6 months from entering Oz to make the transfer otherwise the Tax man takes a huge cut should we do it at a later date. We have about 6 weeks before our 6 months is up and don't want to get caught out if it takes too long.

Cheers, Andy
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:35 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saint Andy
Hi Jumbo, Can I ask how long the whole pension transfer process took. My understanding is that we have 6 months from entering Oz to make the transfer otherwise the Tax man takes a huge cut should we do it at a later date. We have about 6 weeks before our 6 months is up and don't want to get caught out if it takes too long.

Cheers, Andy
The tax man only takes a small cut really (up until a couple of years ago they took a huge cut). If you take longer than 6 months he takes 15% of the increase in value (less expenses). This is fairly much the same tax that would have been taken if you had transferred it on day 1 and kept it invested in income generating assets. (It would be a different story if it was shares but let's not complicate things.)

Old Aug 16th 2006, 1:12 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

Do you have any names of pension companies in Australia who have got QROPS status? I have a personal pension with Prudential that I am wanting for transfer to but am having difficulty finding a QROPS company in Oz.

Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 12:31 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Saint Andy

Cheers, Andy
It took a few weeks overall but that included sending out the Inland Revenue form and returning etc. I think this accounted for most of the delay which would not be expected for a straight personal pension. I had delayed the transfer beyond the 6 month limit to collect the demutualisation bonus.

Regards
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seaangel
Do you have any names of pension companies in Australia who have got QROPS status? I have a personal pension with Prudential that I am wanting for transfer to but am having difficulty finding a QROPS company in Oz.

Thanks for any info.
i know that REST do.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The tax man only takes a small cut really (up until a couple of years ago they took a huge cut). If you take longer than 6 months he takes 15% of the increase in value (less expenses). This is fairly much the same tax that would have been taken if you had transferred it on day 1 and kept it invested in income generating assets. (It would be a different story if it was shares but let's not complicate things.)

does the 6 month rule only apply once you get PR-i'm here on a 457 at the moment, waiting for a PR visa?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
does the 6 month rule only apply once you get PR-i'm here on a 457 at the moment, waiting for a PR visa?

Hi

Not connected to thread just noticed your Avatar "latics" . We are from the Owdham area too. (Lees)
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by luvit
Hi

Not connected to thread just noticed your Avatar "latics" . We are from the Owdham area too. (Lees)
I'm from Stalybridge, been watching the boys since 1972 right up to leaving-looking forward to seeing a game this Oct when we make a visit back to the land of warm beer.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

I'm from Stalybridge, been watching the boys since 1972 right up to leaving-looking forward to seeing a game this Oct when we make a visit back to the land of warm beer.
I am originally from Glossop, hubby from Oldham, he has spent many a cold day on those terraces - gave up, in frustration, in the end. Then we moved to warmer climates. Don't envy you the trip back - we have become extremely settled and have no desire to visit (seen enough of it).
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by luvit
I am originally from Glossop, hubby from Oldham, he has spent many a cold day on those terraces - gave up, in frustration, in the end. Then we moved to warmer climates. Don't envy you the trip back - we have become extremely settled and have no desire to visit (seen enough of it).
we used to live in charles street in glossop, went drinking in the traveller's call.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

we used to live in charles street in glossop, went drinking in the traveller's call.
Its a small world, sorry we took over the thread abit
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.

I'm not sure on this one as I arrived on a PR.