Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easy Citizenship

Easy Citizenship

Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Default Easy Citizenship

Hey they've really gone to new heights to be the sporting elite. Seems like you only have to be good at sport (tennis or speed skating)with a chance of a gold medal for the Green & Gold and Hey Presto ..... U get citizenship. Funny that!!!!!! What a mockery!!!! Don't care how its dressed up!!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easy Citizenship

Don't see the issue. If you are world class in your field, albeit sports, why shouldn't we want you ?

Besides, not exactly a new idea : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Budd
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

There obviously is an 'issue' otherwise it wouldn't have made the televised news, broad sheets press etc ... Whatever the country that perpetrates (Oz or UK) If your the best at what you do compete for the country of your birth and compete with pride. Don't sell yourself for a visa .... and .... don't embrace the ideal by giving a visa just for a few more golds on the tally board. Pathetic and I say again ... Makes a bloody mockery
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather the likes of a top sportsman/woman got citizenship than the likes of Leo Sayer or numerous other questionable celebrities.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:20 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with cypry. The country grants visas to people who want to live in Australia and contribute to its society - the citizenship requirement is a long term demonstration of both those things. I've no problem with visa grants being expidited, but if the holder is genuinely interested in making a long term commitment then the citizenship requirement shouldn't be too onerous - these new rules require someone to spend only 6 months in Australia before being eligible for citizenship!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I agree with cypry. The country grants visas to people who want to live in Australia and contribute to its society - the citizenship requirement is a long term demonstration of both those things. I've no problem with visa grants being expidited, but if the holder is genuinely interested in making a long term commitment then the citizenship requirement shouldn't be too onerous - these new rules require someone to spend only 6 months in Australia before being eligible for citizenship!
That's all well and good but how many people on here, stay long enough to get Citizenship and then head back to the UK because they don't want to live in Aus any longer but want the passport 'just in case' ? It's easy for 'normal' migrants to get citizenship, I don't see a problem with someone who wants to (and who is wanted to) be an ambassador for a specific country.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If we as a country want to attract top level elite athletes then the price may well be expedited citizenship. After all, what good would be PR athlete be who can then not represent us in games.

As to whether or not its ethical for the athlete to do this is a more complicated situation. The reasons for a sports person to consider ditching his/her homeland must surely be compelling in most instances. It is a bold step as most of us here all know.

There is also the small irony of British Expats being critical of an athletes desire to become a citizen of a country other than that of their birth. Not meant as a dig, I just found it humorous in passing.

Last edited by Centurion; Sep 1st 2009 at 10:43 am.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Oh come on I can hear the conversation ringing in my ears ..... "Hey, I'm good at speedskating, tennis, running", or whatever, "If you give me citizenship I'll give you gold". ..... "Right", says DIMA, "we'll tweek the rules, and in ya come cobber"!

I bet Stuart Broad and Freddie Flintoff could get honurary citizenship in time for the next Ashes series if they tried!!!!

No dig taken, but I see it in black and white, and lets be honest there is a smell to the whole business and it just don't sit right!!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nicewookiee06 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cypry
Oh come on I can hear the conversation ringing in my ears ..... "Hey, I'm good at speedskating, tennis, running", or whatever, "If you give me citizenship I'll give you gold". ..... "Right", says DIMA, "we'll tweek the rules, and in ya come cobber"!

I bet Stuart Broad and Freddie Flintoff could get honurary citizenship in time for the next Ashes series if they tried!!!!

No dig taken, but I see it in black and white, and lets be honest there is a smell to the whole business and it just don't sit right!!
im good a spitting 400 metres, heard they going to add that to 2012. does that mean i get to be ozzy
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

oooooooo.......... think i should get practicing my synchronized swimming.........anyone like to join me, think a team mate is a pre-requisite?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Don't see the issue. If you are world class in your field, albeit sports, why shouldn't we want you ?

Besides, not exactly a new idea : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Budd
It only was legally possible for Zola as she was under 18 at the time, also her father was British (by descent).
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The rules you get in by as an immigrant smell too. Speak English x points, good education x points, experience in desired job x points. The whole process is geared to importing needed skills, talents - or bringing in people with money and/or the ability to create jobs.

This amendment is aimed at professional athletes, airline pilots and other specialty professions who travel a lot.

These groups found it a lot tougher than normal people to get Australian Citizenship because of the restricted ability to leave Australia before applying for citizenship. They all have to travel overseas regularly so many were having to wait until they retire until they could get citizenship. This amendment deals with that and retains people Australia wants - win, win - gold for Australia all round - great law change!!!!.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I think to say that all they have to do is say they can do something will give them carte blanche to a passport is daft (not even vaguely amusing, if that was the intention). The athletes in question have already got PR, and have shown their commitment to the country. As has been said, because of the touring life, it's nigh on impossible to get the time in. It's not going to make an ounce of difference to anyone else. I honestly don't see a problem but then it doesn't involve me in any way.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hey they've really gone to new heights to be the sporting elite. Seems like you only have to be good at sport (tennis or speed skating)with a chance of a gold medal for the Green & Gold and Hey Presto ..... U get citizenship. Funny that!!!!!! What a mockery!!!! Don't care how its dressed up!!

And your reference for this is ... ?

That's not the law right now, except for under 18s.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
And your reference for this is ... ?

That's not the law right now, except for under 18s.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...013449,00.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.