Wikiposts

Eastlink

Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eastlink

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Yay!

Better there than blocking up Beach Road in Bayside, bunch of brightly coloured crotch padded Tour de France wannabe road hogging feckers

Use the damn cycle lane!
Couldn't agree more. What really pisses me off is when I overtake one or several of the skinny little tour de france wannabe fckrs and then find the shits inch past me at the traffic lights, then proceed to balance on their bikes right in front of my car. Thereby forcing me back into the outside lane to overtake them once again.

What was the fckn point of that ? :curse:

I'm adding spikes to my wheels - ala Grease.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Couldn't agree more. What really pisses me off is when I overtake one or several of the skinny little tour de france wannabe fckrs and then find the shits inch past me at the traffic lights, then proceed to balance on their bikes right in front of my car. Thereby forcing me back into the outside lane to overtake them once again.

What was the fckn point of that ? :curse:

I'm adding spikes to my wheels - ala Grease.
Why do some drivers have sharing problems? If it was a car forcing them to overtake would they be thinking of maiming those drivers?

Did you all get spoiled rotten as children or something?
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:56 am
Account Closed

Just thinking about the Beach Rd thing a bit more. I've cycled down there once on the shared path as far as it went and I've driven up and down there a few times in the car.

The road itself is mostly 4 lanes wide and is limited to 60km all the way along.

Mostly when driving south you tend to have to stick in the right hand lane. The cause of this is not cyclists, it's other cars, either parked on the side of the road or turning left. The left turns are very sharp so cars turning left are very slow. Also some of those junctions are blind or frequent and cars emerging from them do so slowly.

Driving north is better but again I found that most of the time the road is again reduced down to 1 usable lane by other cars (turning both left and right) rather than cyclists.

As a frequent (although not obsessive) cyclist I have noted that most roads are actually empty most of the time. The only real exception to this is near traffic lights and roundabouts. In rush hour the roads become more congested (due to cars) but even then there are big gaps in the traffic. For whatever reason (lights, catching up with slower drivers, etc.) cars travel around in bunches.

So, although some car drivers feel pleased rationalising their dislike of cyclists, the real problem is other cars. And they are just another car driver. So instead of telling everyone how they are going to maim or kill innocent cyclists (just because they have a gripe against some cyclists) maybe we'd all be better off if they removed themselves from the equation.

Just a note: a recent study has found that nationally cyclists create over $220 million in healthcare savings, save over $60 million dollar in reduced congestion and $9 million in greenhouse gas-related costs.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 16th 2008 at 1:24 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:35 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

No one is disputing that the drivers are the worst offenders, without a doubt I have never seen such poor driving and absence of manners on the roads as I have done here. I would be very nervous as a cyclist on a daily basis.

I also agree that Beach Road is often reduced down to the right hand lane due to cars parking there. Now add to that a gaggle of 5-8 day-glo's weaving in and out of that left lane without indicating (unless raising the right buttock is a local signaling manoeuvre), pulling in front of your car time and again as you try to make your way down the road without killing any of them. I am fine with shared ownership of the road, but it serious bugs me is when they act like they own the road and refuse to even blink while pulling in and out of traffic.

At least with a car you have some protection, but doing it on a bike shows a level of "knock me off, go on I dare you" arrogance which I find staggering and I know you have mentioned your reasoning why they don't use the cycle path, but every time I have walked on it we get a mouthful from cyclists because it's "their" path (it is predominantly marked as cycles only). So my question is really, honestly, why don't they use it...
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

No one is disputing that the drivers are the worst offenders, without a doubt I have never seen such poor driving and absence of manners on the roads as I have done here. ...
Have you never driven in France or Belgium?

So my question is really, honestly, why don't they use it...
The main reasons are:
  • It's a shared path not a cycle path.
  • At speed it's safer to ride on the road.
  • The road is a legal bike path.

I use paths when available because I'm a lesuire cyclist and it keeps me out of the way of the cars and peletons that think they own the road.

I actually hate cycling on the road. I did commute cycle for a while in London but I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Having the bike stolen for the second time also sapped my will to continue.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 16th 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:24 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Have you never driven in France or Belgium?
1) Often and 2) Briefly

Melbourne is still the worst driving I have ever seen. Generally it's a mix of lack of rule enforcement, lack of decent driving instruction, lack of focus and in a several of cases lack of any measurable IQ. We caught one blonde "X5 Driver" the other day swerving in and out of lanes on the Nepean while doing her eyeliner and lipstick with one hand and speaking into a Mobile phone open in the palm of her other hand while steering with her elbow Took four cars honking loudly and 5-6 very near misses before she woke the smeg up, huffed a lot and stormed off at 100Kph.

Having the bike stolen for the second time also sapped my will to continue.
Have you never lived in Amsterdam!? My friends had their bikes stolen on a nightly basis. Everyone buys them from the dodgy blackmarket guys and the next night they get them stolen back and the cycle continues (pun intended)
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Why do some drivers have sharing problems? If it was a car forcing them to overtake would they be thinking of maiming those drivers?

Did you all get spoiled rotten as children or something?
Similar to bigAPE I actually applaud most of the cyclists, and secretly wish that I had the energy etc to ditch the car and get on the bike.

What pisses me off though is the large minority who seem to think that they have a special right to behave in a selfish and arrogant manner...

2 cyclists riding abreast - therefore forcing all traffic to slow and overtake. Why ? If I've just overtaken a bike why does it inch past me at the traffic lights and force to overtake it all over again ? Why ? It's rude, selfish, ignorant and dangerous. Cyclists who approach an obstacle in the inside lane and simply swerve into the outside lane forcing me to brake.

The peleton that is so large that it spills into the outside lane. Mark my words, its only a matter of time before Beach Road sees a serious accident.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just thinking about the Beach Rd thing a bit more. I've cycled down there once on the shared path as far as it went and I've driven up and down there a few times in the car.

The road itself is mostly 4 lanes wide and is limited to 60km all the way along.

Mostly when driving south you tend to have to stick in the right hand lane. The cause of this is not cyclists, it's other cars, either parked on the side of the road or turning left. The left turns are very sharp so cars turning left are very slow. Also some of those junctions are blind or frequent and cars emerging from them do so slowly.

Driving north is better but again I found that most of the time the road is again reduced down to 1 usable lane by other cars (turning both left and right) rather than cyclists.

As a frequent (although not obsessive) cyclist I have noted that most roads are actually empty most of the time. The only real exception to this is near traffic lights and roundabouts. In rush hour the roads become more congested (due to cars) but even then there are big gaps in the traffic. For whatever reason (lights, catching up with slower drivers, etc.) cars travel around in bunches.

So, although some car drivers feel pleased rationalising their dislike of cyclists, the real problem is other cars. And they are just another car driver. So instead of telling everyone how they are going to maim or kill innocent cyclists (just because they have a gripe against some cyclists) maybe we'd all be better off if they removed themselves from the equation.

Just a note: a recent study has found that nationally cyclists create over $220 million in healthcare savings, save over $60 million dollar in reduced congestion and $9 million in greenhouse gas-related costs.

Sorry but that's far from accurate. I drive Beach Road from Beaumaris to the CBD every day. I leave around 6.30-7am and usually return around 5.30-6pm. The sole cause of slow traffic and swerving in the morning heading into the CBD is the cyclists. There are almost no parked cars whatsoever at that time of the day.

At this time of the day the entire journey from Beaumaris to St Kilda is pretty much one lane only as most cars don't want to be stuck behind the bikes.

If I leave at 8.30am the traffic moves much quicker and the journey is easier as there are no cyclists and therefore 2 lanes.

Your point about cars being in the inside lane is true for the return journey, especially around Brighton and Sandringham. However, at least a parked car does not suddenly swerve into your path or inch past you at the lights. If I hit a park car I only need to worry about my health - trying to overtake a wobbling cyclist on one side and avoid a ute doing 60kph on the other is no fun.

I'd also challenge the suggestion that all these cyclists are commuters. A very large number appear to stop at a particular cafe nr St Kilda marina and then south again.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Right.

It's time for Buzzy to have his say.

There's a number of posters on this thread whose opinions I respect more than anyone else on this forum but this time I disagree with them.

I drive Beach Road all the way from Mordialloc to St Kilda Road and back twice a day. (the chances are I am there at the same time as Haggis Supper in the mornings....)

Every day, twice a day, I share the road with any number of cyclists.

And I love it.

Why?

Because some of those female cyclists have got the most fantastically shaped body parts from years of pumping those pedals that I am prepared to forgive all lane hogging from all cyclists.

Yours sincerely

The Buzzmeister.

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jun 16th 2008 at 10:33 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Right.

It's time for Buzzy to have his say.

There's a number of posters on this thread whose opinions I respect more than anyone else on this forum but this time I disagree with them.

I drive Beach Road all the way from Mordialloc to St Kilda Road and back twice a day. (the chances are I am there at the same time as Haggis Supper in the mornings....)

Every day, twice a day, I share the road with any number of cyclists.

And I love it.

Why?

Because some of those female cyclists have got the most fantastically shaped body parts from years of pumping those pedals that I am prepared to forgive all lane hogging from all cyclists.

Yours sincerely

The Buzzmeister.

Sorry Buzzy but you've reminded me of yet another reason to detest them.

I drive into work with up to 3 other blokes. Sat at the lights at Sandringham about 3 weeks ago I pointed out a stunningly attractive female on a bike. Great bod, great shiny legs and lovely flowing blonde hair. I gave a cheeky wee sideways glance as I passed her to see if the face was as good as the rest. Sadly "she" had a goatee beard. The other chaps are still reminding me of it.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point

All this chit chat but does it reduce the commute time to the CBD from somewhere like Berwick.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:43 am
Account Closed

Sorry but that's far from accurate. I drive Beach Road from Beaumaris to the CBD every day. I leave around 6.30-7am and usually return around 5.30-6pm. The sole cause of slow traffic and swerving in the morning heading into the CBD is the cyclists. There are almost no parked cars whatsoever at that time of the day.

At this time of the day the entire journey from Beaumaris to St Kilda is pretty much one lane only as most cars don't want to be stuck behind the bikes.

If I leave at 8.30am the traffic moves much quicker and the journey is easier as there are no cyclists and therefore 2 lanes.

Your point about cars being in the inside lane is true for the return journey, especially around Brighton and Sandringham. However, at least a parked car does not suddenly swerve into your path or inch past you at the lights. If I hit a park car I only need to worry about my health - trying to overtake a wobbling cyclist on one side and avoid a ute doing 60kph on the other is no fun.

I'd also challenge the suggestion that all these cyclists are commuters. A very large number appear to stop at a particular cafe nr St Kilda marina and then south again.
What I said was completely accurate for the times I've driven down there and as I don't remember you being there I don't think you're in a position to say so

I can believe that cyclists cause problems for car drivers at the times you mention. I've never used Beach Rd at that time nor am I likely to. I wouldn't use it on a Sunday either as it has a bit of a bad rep.

On the other hand would it be any better if the cyclists weren't there? I doubt it. Why do people use Beach Rd with its cyclist problem instead of the Nepean which doesn't seem to attract them in great numbers?

Coffee is the fuel of the modern cashed up tour de France wannabe cyclist. They're probably all meeting up to work out how to make your life more miserable. Yep, a lot of them are coffee snobs as well. That must raise the pathological heckles

Live and let live

PS: I don't think I suggested that they were all commuters. That's why I was differentiating between fast cyclists and commuters.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 17th 2008 at 1:45 am.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

1) Often and 2) Briefly

Melbourne is still the worst driving I have ever seen. Generally it's a mix of lack of rule enforcement, lack of decent driving instruction, lack of focus and in a several of cases lack of any measurable IQ. We caught one blonde "X5 Driver" the other day swerving in and out of lanes on the Nepean while doing her eyeliner and lipstick with one hand and speaking into a Mobile phone open in the palm of her other hand while steering with her elbow Took four cars honking loudly and 5-6 very near misses before she woke the smeg up, huffed a lot and stormed off at 100Kph.

Have you never lived in Amsterdam!? My friends had their bikes stolen on a nightly basis. Everyone buys them from the dodgy blackmarket guys and the next night they get them stolen back and the cycle continues (pun intended)
Never lived in the Netherlands but I remember the guide telling us the story when we went to Amsterdam.

Personally I don't find the driving that bad (compared to what I was used to in London). There's more tail-gating here but I found London worse for correct indication and it was de rigeur to use the wrong lane at junctions in London whereas it's much less common here.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:56 am
Account Closed

Sorry Buzzy but you've reminded me of yet another reason to detest them.

I drive into work with up to 3 other blokes. Sat at the lights at Sandringham about 3 weeks ago I pointed out a stunningly attractive female on a bike. Great bod, great shiny legs and lovely flowing blonde hair. I gave a cheeky wee sideways glance as I passed her to see if the face was as good as the rest. Sadly "she" had a goatee beard. The other chaps are still reminding me of it.
I've never been caught out by a bloke but they often turn out to be old crones
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by abertawe
All this chit chat but does it reduce the commute time to the CBD from somewhere like Berwick.
Nope. Cyclist free motorway all the way (nearly).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.