Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

easier to emigrate to NZ?

easier to emigrate to NZ?

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

harvey2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default easier to emigrate to NZ?

Ok Im new to this forum I have been browsing for a few days and I have learnt loads about emigrating to Oz, although it seems very complicated! I wondered if it is easier to get into NZ, does any one know?
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: easier to emigrate to NZ?

Originally posted by harvey2000
Ok Im new to this forum I have been browsing for a few days and I have learnt loads about emigrating to Oz, although it seems very complicated! I wondered if it is easier to get into NZ, does any one know?
The age limits are different.I think you can go to New Zealand up to age 55 but not sure of the conditions.
It probably depends on your type of work.
No doubt someone else will give you more info.

Good luck

G
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Well husband is a qualified vehiclepainter/panel beaterwith lots of experiencebut he has now gone into management so its difficult to know what to do for the best! We just want to experiece life in another country for a few years (or more)so we dont really mind if its Oz or NZ, although dont want weather the same as UK
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Harvey,
I wanted NZ but no chance.
I think it is harder than OZ but as Grayling said depends on your personal circumstances.
I have no trade or written qualifications and am on the older side so was completely stuffed.
Maybe useful if you give a bit more info on yourself so those in the know can advise you better.
Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Hubby has trade certificate (apprenticeship) he is 41 ,has lots of work experience. Problem is that he hasnt been working as a vehiclepaint sprayer/panel beater for quite a while, although Im sure he could easily pick it upagain!
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 7:55 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Harvey,

first point fo call would be
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

They have a list of shortage occupations (regional), and priority occupations (national shortage) of which if you have one then you are more likely to be offered residency most definatley if you get a job in that field prior to applying.

One frind of mine who is a diesel fitter went over there for 6 days and secured 3 jobs, his line of work was on the priorty list which must mean there aren't many of them.

I have just checked Panel beating is on the occupational shortage list. You may be in luck but there are other dependancies. i.e. age etc.

Good Luck

such a beautiful country

Joanne
Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:51 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Harvey
It really depends on what you do. I qualfy through the points system for NZ very easily.
OZ I did not qualify for automatically, I had to take the STNI route. Very happy where I am going to though.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24th 2004, 11:24 am
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Harvey
It doesnt matter if you have not done the job for a while, as long as you can prove your work experience in the job with paperwork(payslips will do). and dont forget that you will only be able to get a job in an area that is on the shortlist. getting a job not in Auckland will gain you extra points now.
Gavin
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:46 am
Just Joined

wittsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default JoB

Could you help us too please?

Just started looking into new zealand for me and the family.....How do I find tis shortlist of jobs, I cant seem to find anything but Social Workers....

Can you tell me if firefigter are needed anywhere?

Also, work with the disabled or troubled kis (not social work diploma qualified though!)

Thanks for any help.....x
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:57 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/6367.htm

Jack
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Default Thanks Jack....

So.......nothing on the priority list fo us then.....

What do we do now......Not gonna give up this time.....x

Thaks again Jack...
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:23 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Try this

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/Templ...CHEHINT=Guest#

Its a skills shortage list. Its area dependant.

Jack
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Default Jack......Thankyou....

Your proving to be my 1st 'friend' on her and I apprciate your help....x

Stil no on any of te lists though....
GUTTED!!!

Any ideas?

Wittsey x
Old Jan 25th 2004, 7:48 am
Banned

Have you tried this yet?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

It may be worth filling it in several times with different scenorios ie. put down that you are working already in NZ in skilled employment/ have job offer in skilled employment ect.

If you get a reasonable amount of points 120+ it may be worth going out there that way.

A lot of people (inc. us) barely qualify without offer of employment. But with offer we get around 160, and that should be quite good to get in. We are not prepared to go without an offer of employment, I have a business in the UK. If it was just a case of me just having a job in the Uk then I would contemplate going over without an offer, and then finding work whilst out there.

Hope this helps.

Jack
Old Jan 25th 2004, 1:07 pm
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Harvey,

you may want to try the internet pages and some NZ job web sites. When using search engines put .co.nz rather than co.uk that will give you a more local nz listing. i.e. www.google.co.nz.

Another interesting point I found on a different forum about NZ is the following. It may be that you may well get a job but that is not on the shortages list. Very much worth a try, Me thinks!!

Skills shortages drive up newspaper job ads
22 January 2004
By JILLIAN TALBOT

Skills shortages and a booming economy sparked an 18.5 per cent jump in newspaper job advertisements in December.

The national figure, adjusted for seasonal fluctuations, was strongly influenced by a 33.6 per cent monthly jump in Auckland's advertising levels, according to the latest ANZ job ads series.

Job ads in Wellington rose 6.1 per cent between November and December, ads in Manawatu were up 13.7 per cent and in Christchurch 3 per cent. Hawke's Bay remained relatively flat at a 0.4 per cent rise, while job ads in Waikato and Otago fell 2.2 per cent and 0.6 per cent respectively.

ANZ chief economist David Drage said the figures were consistent with the latest Institute of Economic Research survey of business opinion, which showed firms found it increasingly difficult to find skilled and unskilled labour.

"The extent of labour shortages appears to have prompted employers to continue advertising into December to a greater extent than would normally be the case," he said.

Skills shortages were forcing many employers to readvertise positions aggressively, he said.

The seasonal fall in job ads during December was less marked than normal.

"In the Auckland region, the actual number of newspaper advertisements - that is before seasonal adjustment - typically drops by about 40 per cent between November and December," he said.

Last month, the actual number of job advertisements dropped 21 per cent, leading to a sharp increase when adjustments were made for the seasonal pattern, he said.

Internet job ads fell 10.7 per cent in December, but were 11.1 per cent higher than December last year.

Mr Drage concluded that the volatility in the job ad series over the Christmas period made comparisons with employment data difficult. But indicators pointed to more jobs being created in coming months.

Recruitment and Consulting Services Association president James Cozens said skills shortages were across the board, but more obvious in the health, education, accounting and law sectors.

In these careers "home-grown" graduates were lured overseas by better money to pay off student loans.

Shortages were also marked in trades such as plumbing, building and engineering.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2790112a13,00.html