Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Earnings: comparisons

Earnings: comparisons

Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough
Default Earnings: comparisons

I know cost of living questions often crop up on this site...so, I thought I would add this...according to this article from BBC news, most Brits should be better off after a move to OZ..hairdressers seem to be the exception...

I am actually suprised by the differences here....

EARNINGS

Wages in many of the trades and professions hit by labour shortages in Australia are higher there than they are in the UK:

Bricklayers earn an average of £21,113 a year in the UK compared with £29,551, according to the US-based international wage comparison website Salaryexpert.com.

Motor mechanics earn about £25,869 in the UK compared with their Australian counterparts on £30,128.

Carpenters in Australia earn an average £24,980 - nearly £5,000 more than they would in the UK.

Accountants take home an average £38,956 compared with £34,138 in the UK.

Chefs could be better off in Australia too, earning about £3,500 more than the average UK wage for their profession of £27,536.

Nurses choosing to emigrate could enjoy an extra £8,000 a year. The average registered nurse in Australia takes home £37,110, compared with £29,070 in the UK.

Hairdressers are among the few professionals who would have to take a pay cut, with average earnings in Australia at £17,495, compared with the UK's £19,225.

COST OF LIVING

Australians pay less for daily essentials such as food, with a typical loaf of bread costing 38p compared with 65p in the UK, and a pint of milk 30p compared with 45p.

It is cheaper to eat and drink out in Australia, with a McDonald's Big Mac burger some 55p dearer at £1.99 in the UK and a pint of beer 25p more expensive at an average of £2.50.

A typical cinema ticket in Australia costs about £4, while in the UK it is £6.50.

Petrol prices are on the rise in Australia as in the rest of the world, but fuel remains far cheaper than in the UK - about 54p per litre in cities compared with the UK average of 91p per litre.

HOUSE PRICES

In Sydney, Australia's most expensive city, the average house price is about £196,000, compared with London's average, which has soared above £300,000.

View of Sydney in sunshine

Are you planning to emigrate?

In Brisbane, considered more representative of Australian prices, homes cost an average of £113,000 compared with the British average of £196,000.

In Sydney, a three-bedroom house which would cost more than £1,000 per week to rent in central London can be rented for £105 a week.

A similar property in Brisbane would cost about £95 per week.

WEATHER

Much of Australia is warm or hot throughout the year, and even along the cooler southern coasts the winters are mild rather than cold.

Chefs could be better off working in Australia

Only Tasmania has a temperate climate comparable with that of Britain.

Sydney's hottest months are December, January and February, with temperatures reaching an average of 26C, while in winter they drop to about 8C in July.

Darwin in the Northern Territory has a minimum average of 19C in winter and up to 34C in summer, although it is also very wet during the summer months.

Britain's climate is notoriously variable and changeable from day to day. Weather is generally cool to mild with frequent cloud and rain, but occasional settled spells of weather occur in all seasons.

While the south is usually a little warmer than the north, and the west wetter than the east, the continual changes of British weather mean that occasionally these differences may be reversed.

London has an average maximum temperature of 22C in July, falling to a minimum average of 2C in winter, with similar temperatures in Birmingham.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:27 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earnings: comparisons

I can safely say that the quotes for the nurses wage are a load of crap! You can't believe everything you read or see! It would be bloody wonderful if I could earn that much. The bbc should be sued for being fso ull of sh**e!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:31 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
I can safely say that the quotes for the nurses wage are a load of crap! You can't believe everything you read or see! It would be bloody wonderful if I could earn that much. The bbc should be sued for being fso ull of sh**e!
think the majority of it is tosh.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
think the majority of it is tosh.

Carpenters and brickies are a bit low i reckon
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:43 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Carpenters and brickies are a bit low i reckon
Average house price in Sydney £196K !!!!! dreamin' I tell ya dreamin'. Unit maybe
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

My brother in law is a chef out there and he's had to take a pay cut. I'm a teacher and from looking at pay scales on the net looks like I'll be taking a pay cut too. Not sure about this BBC thing!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Average house price in Sydney £196K !!!!! dreamin' I tell ya dreamin'. Unit maybe
Sydney median house price in July 2005 was around $505,000.

What's the exchange rate at the moment - about 2.3? - so average Sydney house price is about £219,000. It's not THAT much out.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:28 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by nickyc
Sydney median house price in July 2005 was around $505,000.

What's the exchange rate at the moment - about 2.3? - so average Sydney house price is about £219,000. It's not THAT much out.
fair point. but thats units as well? Just any actual houses i was looking at were $700K up.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

fair point. but thats units as well? Just any actual houses i was looking at were $700K up.
Yup, that's house prices only. Apparantly average unit prices are $367,000 (or 160,000 pounds).

That's not to say you'd want to live in any of them, though!

The huge number of (cheapish) houses sold in the western and south-western suburbs always skews the average price downwards.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 1:42 pm
small steps long journey

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yup, that's house prices only. Apparantly average unit prices are $367,000 (or 160,000 pounds).

That's not to say you'd want to live in any of them, though!

The huge number of (cheapish) houses sold in the western and south-western suburbs always skews the average price downwards.
Am with you. East vs west .... usually not a difficult one.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really niceAus4us is just really nice

Originally Posted by meelie
Exactly!!!
Average wage? Then I am being grossly underpaid!!! :scared:
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, are the wages quoted for the UK correct or are they out as well?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hmmm, loaf of bread for 38p, I would say that bread is between 2 and 3 AUD, overall we spend the same on food here that we did in the UK, where as I earn 40% of what I earned back in London.....certainly did not make the move for a financial or career further perspective..

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
I know cost of living questions often crop up on this site...so, I thought I would add this...according to this article from BBC news, most Brits should be better off after a move to OZ..hairdressers seem to be the exception...

EARNINGS

Wages in many of the trades and professions hit by labour shortages in Australia are higher there than they are in the UK:

Bricklayers earn an average of £21,113 a year in the UK compared with £29,551, according to the US-based international wage comparison website Salaryexpert.com.

Motor mechanics earn about £25,869 in the UK compared with their Australian counterparts on £30,128.

Carpenters in Australia earn an average £24,980 - nearly £5,000 more than they would in the UK.

Chefs could be better off in Australia too, earning about £3,500 more than the average UK wage for their profession of £27,536.

Nurses choosing to emigrate could enjoy an extra £8,000 a year. The average registered nurse in Australia takes home £37,110, compared with £29,070 in the UK.

Hairdressers are among the few professionals who would have to take a pay cut, with average earnings in Australia at £17,495, compared with the UK's £19,225.

COST OF LIVING

Australians pay less for daily essentials such as food, with a typical loaf of bread costing 38p compared with 65p in the UK, and a pint of milk 30p compared with 45p.

It is cheaper to eat and drink out in Australia, with a McDonald's Big Mac burger some 55p dearer at £1.99 in the UK and a pint of beer 25p more expensive at an average of £2.50.

A typical cinema ticket in Australia costs about £4, while in the UK it is £6.50.

Petrol prices are on the rise in Australia as in the rest of the world, but fuel remains far cheaper than in the UK - about 54p per litre in cities compared with the UK average of 91p per litre.

HOUSE PRICES

In Sydney, Australia's most expensive city, the average house price is about £196,000, compared with London's average, which has soared above £300,000.

In Brisbane, considered more representative of Australian prices, homes cost an average of £113,000 compared with the British average of £196,000.

In Sydney, a three-bedroom house which would cost more than £1,000 per week to rent in central London can be rented for £105 a week.

WEATHER

Much of Australia is warm or hot throughout the year, and even along the cooler southern coasts the winters are mild rather than cold.

Sydney's hottest months are December, January and February, with temperatures reaching an average of 26C, while in winter they drop to about 8C in July.

Darwin in the Northern Territory has a minimum average of 19C in winter and up to 34C in summer, although it is also very wet during the summer months.

Britain's climate is notoriously variable and changeable from day to day. Weather is generally cool to mild with frequent cloud and rain, but occasional settled spells of weather occur in all seasons.

While the south is usually a little warmer than the north, and the west wetter than the east, the continual changes of British weather mean that occasionally these differences may be reversed.

London has an average maximum temperature of 22C in July, falling to a minimum average of 2C in winter, with similar temperatures in Birmingham.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 8:06 pm
jan
classy clipper

jan will become famous soon enoughjan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsMangle

EARNINGS

COST OF LIVING

HOUSE PRICES

WEATHER

The average wage for Haidressers is $500-$750 PER WEEK in Perth .What do any other hairdressers earn in other states ? Please post out of interest
Also any in U.k. What would you say average wage is?
Also surprised hairdressers on MODL. I think there are loads of salons here many not very busy.Any other hairdessers that have moved here what do you think?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jan
Also surprised hairdressers on MODL. I think there are loads of salons here many not very busy.Any other hairdessers that have moved here what do you think?
Thats Perth . I think it may be different on the East Coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.