Reload this Page >

Early Prep entry

Early Prep entry

Old Feb 27th 2014, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Kralphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Prep entry

Hi,

I wonder if someone can help with advice re schooling. I'm coming over in August this year and We'll be heading back to UK in Aug 2015.

So, my twins will finish Reception(Prep equivalent) in the UK before we head over but as their birthday is in July they just miss the cut off to complete the last term of Prep in Brisbane and then move into Y1 which would have kept them on par with their current learning level. I have the forms to complete for Early Entry to Prep to complete but I'm just wondering how long the process takes.

Do I meet with the Principal when in Brisbane or apply before hand? And if we just go with them starting Prep in Jan 2015 what is the procedure for applying to a school. Do we also do that on arrival?

Anyone familiar with primary schools in the UK might understand my anxiety. We have too many children and not enough schools to cope with the demand. So many schools are oversubscribed with waiting lists. That would be my worst nightmare!

I have emailed a few schools but only one has replied with the Early Entry forms.

Thank you in advance,

Katy
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Early Prep entry

Hopefully someone can answer.

In a nutshell, good private school's here take applications of embryos. People register with schools before they have had chance to wipe the sweat from their brow.

So you are right in getting your ducks in a row.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kralphy
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help with advice re schooling. I'm coming over in August this year and We'll be heading back to UK in Aug 2015.

So, my twins will finish Reception(Prep equivalent) in the UK before we head over but as their birthday is in July they just miss the cut off to complete the last term of Prep in Brisbane and then move into Y1 which would have kept them on par with their current learning level. I have the forms to complete for Early Entry to Prep to complete but I'm just wondering how long the process takes.

Do I meet with the Principal when in Brisbane or apply before hand? And if we just go with them starting Prep in Jan 2015 what is the procedure for applying to a school. Do we also do that on arrival?

Anyone familiar with primary schools in the UK might understand my anxiety. We have too many children and not enough schools to cope with the demand. So many schools are oversubscribed with waiting lists. That would be my worst nightmare!

I have emailed a few schools but only one has replied with the Early Entry forms.

Thank you in advance,

Katy
If you are going to be in Australia for only a year, then it is important to get them into Y1 so that they do not fall behind when they get back to the UK.
Normally I'd say put them with their peers, but as you are only temporary it isn't as important. Ask the school that they are currently at for a schema of what they would be studying if they had remained in the UK for that year, so that you can ensure that they don't miss out on anything important- a bit of home teaching to cover any gaps.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

As for enroling in a school - just rock up to the local school and it'll be fine. Schools are obliged to find a place for kids in their catchment area if they are old enough. As for being out of sync with year levels - you might have to have a psychometric assessment proving profound giftedness. The cut off dates are there for a reason and they don't like to budge on them otherwise it would be open slather! You may change your mind and stay! Shame you couldn't spend a term down on the border with NSW as their cut off is end July and the states do have an agreement to take kids from other states to maintain their current year levels. You're more likely to get flexibility in a private school than a gov one.

Their education is going to be disrupted anyway as the program won't be anything like the one they'll be missing out on and reports from returnees suggest that kids are generally well supported when they reintegrate. Wouldn't be panicking too much.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

The early entry conditions I saw didn't require the child to be gifted. The primary requirement was that they had already completed similar formal education overseas, but it still wasn't guaranteed as I think they still check suitability holistically.

It seemed you had to apply to the education department, possibly via the school. Sorry can't help with your other questions. You could try emailing a school in your preferred area.

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 28th 2014 at 10:25 am.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
Hopefully someone can answer.

In a nutshell, good private school's here take applications of embryos. People register with schools before they have had chance to wipe the sweat from their brow.

So you are right in getting your ducks in a row.
Hi TimbersBack,

We're going with state schools rather than private. We're only over for a year and they're only going to to 5/6.

Thanks for replying
Old Feb 28th 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you are going to be in Australia for only a year, then it is important to get them into Y1 so that they do not fall behind when they get back to the UK.
Normally I'd say put them with their peers, but as you are only temporary it isn't as important. Ask the school that they are currently at for a schema of what they would be studying if they had remained in the UK for that year, so that you can ensure that they don't miss out on anything important- a bit of home teaching to cover any gaps.
You read my mind Caroline, I only want them to jump a year so that they don't miss too much when we have to return to the UK. Their school here is going to give me some stuff to take with me which will be on the UK curriculum.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
As for enroling in a school - just rock up to the local school and it'll be fine. Schools are obliged to find a place for kids in their catchment area if they are old enough. As for being out of sync with year levels - you might have to have a psychometric assessment proving profound giftedness. The cut off dates are there for a reason and they don't like to budge on them otherwise it would be open slather! You may change your mind and stay! Shame you couldn't spend a term down on the border with NSW as their cut off is end July and the states do have an agreement to take kids from other states to maintain their current year levels. You're more likely to get flexibility in a private school than a gov one.

Their education is going to be disrupted anyway as the program won't be anything like the one they'll be missing out on and reports from returnees suggest that kids are generally well supported when they reintegrate. Wouldn't be panicking too much.
Hi,

I'm not saying my kids are gifted and should be a year ahead. They are currently in the Prep equivalent now and as we're only in Brisbane for a year if they repeat Prep it means they will be a year behind when we return to the UK. If we were making a permanent move I'd have no problems about them starting school later. The UK system is results driven and starts testing children far too early.

I would love to stay longer but my husband is only over as a visiting researcher at UQ and is still employed in the UK but......you never know!?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fish,

We have some forms from a school but i was just wondering what the timelines might be. It does say on the Queensland Education website that they will consider moving some children up a year if they have proof of their learning and ability to settle in an older class. I'm still waiting for some schools to reply so hopefully i'll get more information then.

Thank you
Old Feb 28th 2014, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kralphy
Hi,

I'm not saying my kids are gifted and should be a year ahead. They are currently in the Prep equivalent now and as we're only in Brisbane for a year if they repeat Prep it means they will be a year behind when we return to the UK. If we were making a permanent move I'd have no problems about them starting school later. The UK system is results driven and starts testing children far too early.

I would love to stay longer but my husband is only over as a visiting researcher at UQ and is still employed in the UK but......you never know!?
They won't be repeating anything - it's a foreign country with its own education systems. They do accept kids from other states with different starting dates but opening up the international equivalent could be open slather and education programs are all about egalitarian and dont like "tall poppies" much. They'll be behind anyway when they return to UK - the early childhood programs aren't nearly as rigorous although Queensland is as good as any. You might get lucky if you have cast iron proof you will be leaving but they don't like bending the rules if they don't have to. I'd be looking to supplement whatever they do at school with home based learning - they'll stand a better chance of not being so far behind that way. They'll be well supported on their return anyway if reports from returnees are anything to go by.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 5:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back from Canada to the UK and my daughter entered half way through year 1 having completed 4 months of Reception equivalent in Canada. Within 3 months she was on a par with the other kids in her class. Don't stress, your child is young and it won't be in a issue in the long term.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
We moved back from Canada to the UK and my daughter entered half way through year 1 having completed 4 months of Reception equivalent in Canada. Within 3 months she was on a par with the other kids in her class. Don't stress, your child is young and it won't be in a issue in the long term.
I have to agree - I have taught kids with no English and no ESL support and within a year they are on par and sometimes even better than the rest of the cohort.

They are 5/6 years old - I wouldn't be worrying too much about the effect of the change in education systems - they'll have another 11 years to make up for it.