Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Duvet TOG For Australian Winters...

Duvet TOG For Australian Winters...

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of
Default Duvet TOG For Australian Winters...

Hi.

I know things are warming up over there but we are moving over in January and shipping a few things over. We were told to bring duvets and bedding because they are expensive.

What TOG duvet do you recommend?

Is a 13.5 TOG Duck feather and down TOO warm for those cooler Aussie nights?

Final thing... Are you allowed to bring feather/down into Australia? (it will be a sealed roll bag)
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duvet TOG For Australian Winters...

Originally Posted by tony4563
Hi.

I know things are warming up over there but we are moving over in January and shipping a few things over. We were told to bring duvets and bedding because they are expensive.

Final thing... Are you allowed to bring feather/down into Australia? (it will be a sealed roll bag)
Bring it! Unless you are going to somewhere tropical - Northern Territory, Far North Qld. Declare it as feathers but you won't have a problem bringing it in.
You'll soon acclimatise, so you'll need it, and very few Aussie houses have heating, into the bargain.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

Thanks Polly

We are heading Brisbane way and can't wait. The Aussie Queen size is roughly the size of a UK King size so I'll buy some decent ones for those chillier nights.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Polly

We are heading Brisbane way and can't wait. The Aussie Queen size is roughly the size of a UK King size so I'll buy some decent ones for those chillier nights.
Definitely

I actually bought one from Asda on my first trip back home - much cheaper and warmer than I could find over here (I'm in Brisbane too), same with the covers.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Just be careful as the duvet (doona, manchester etc) covers for a Queen are slightly shorter than a UK King - so my UK duvet bunches up a bit at the bottom of my Aus cover, if that makes sense!

We're trying to buy a new duvet and it's very complicated without the tog system - in Target you get warm, warmer, warmest! None of them seem as heavy as our 13 tog one. The wool ones tend to be the warmest and heaviest.

You will need it and an electric blanket for the winter as the heating in Oz is flippin useless, insulation, double glazing is unheard of and 10 mins later after the heating has been on (if you've got some!) it's cold again.

Brrrrrrr....
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Do they make a 25 TOG?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 1:30 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
Do they make a 25 TOG?
Bring electric blankets- effin freezing in winter
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

We brought our duvet with us - it's one of those that has a spring/summer one and then a winter one and you clip them together for cold cold nights. We've had the lot on the bed since June and it's still on there. Had a hot water bottle on quite a few nights

Feather and down duvets and pillows are fine to bring, not a problem.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

Bring it, but things aren't as expensive I read about bedding being expensive but if you shop about you can find good prices, the supermarkets do pillows/duvets as well. Just brought dbl quilt for a spare bed from Kmart the other day for $30 I brought white k size fitted sheet/top sheet and two pillow cases for $35 which istn't expensive.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We brought our duvet with us - it's one of those that has a spring/summer one and then a winter one and you clip them together for cold cold nights. We've had the lot on the bed since June and it's still on there. Had a hot water bottle on quite a few nights

MrsB tells me I am like a hot water bottle. According to her - I am one of those people who just pumps out heat(!) Even in the depths of a UK winter, standing outside my hands were warm.

Our dooner was bought here. A few blankets and the rest of it and all's good.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by koalakim
Just be careful as the duvet (doona, manchester etc) covers for a Queen are slightly shorter than a UK King - so my UK duvet bunches up a bit at the bottom of my Aus cover, if that makes sense!

We're trying to buy a new duvet and it's very complicated without the tog system - in Target you get warm, warmer, warmest! None of them seem as heavy as our 13 tog one. The wool ones tend to be the warmest and heaviest.

You will need it and an electric blanket for the winter as the heating in Oz is flippin useless, insulation, double glazing is unheard of and 10 mins later after the heating has been on (if you've got some!) it's cold again.

Brrrrrrr....
I agree with the sizings, they are different.

I get the feeling that different people will have different reactions to a Brisbane "winter".
I've never needed an electric blanket since leaving the UK, a British Summer quilt does me fine in winter here.
But I do know people who even need hot water bottles here !

Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
MrsB tells me I am like a hot water bottle. According to her - I am one of those people who just pumps out heat(!) Even in the depths of a UK winter, standing outside my hands were warm.

Our dooner was bought here. A few blankets and the rest of it and all's good.
Husband's like you, trouble is he snores in every position and most of the time sleeps with arms in the air (a la baby) and his knees up. Doesn't make for a comfortable 'bottle'. I have to stay as far away as possible just to get a vague nights sleep most nights
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:44 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband's like you, trouble is he snores in every position .....
Try the reverse cowgirl, that works for me!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Reackon I need to pack a coat then eh!!! Only joking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.