Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dumb Laptop question!!!!

Dumb Laptop question!!!!

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
skye

Default Dumb Laptop question!!!!

ok - have bought a wireless laptop - now what do I do.... and what do I need.... told you it was a dumb question but I am a girl!!!!!

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

sunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nicesunburn is just really nice
Default Re: Dumb Laptop question!!!!

Originally Posted by skye
ok - have bought a wireless laptop - now what do I do.... and what do I need.... told you it was a dumb question but I am a girl!!!!!

To use at home you need a wireless broadband router and a broadband connection over cable or your phone line (ADSL).

Or you can use it in WiFi / Wireless hotspots in airports/cafe's/McDonalds etc... either way you still have to pay
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunburn
To use at home you need a wireless broadband router and a broadband connection over cable or your phone line (ADSL).

Or you can use it in WiFi / Wireless hotspots in airports/cafe's/McDonalds etc... either way you still have to pay
Plug it in and turn it on....
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Not dumb at all, I've just bought a laptop so I know where you are coming from. I'm guessing that you had broadband on your main pc via a modem, well basically you replace that modem with a router, I asked my ISP (AOL) which one they support and bought that one off EBay for half the normal price, and because AOL supports it I got free phone help to configure it. Then your laptop will pick up your broadband via the wireless network. I'm no expert, but if you want to pm me I will help as much as I can.
I didn't even know if you could just close the lid on it though, so I'm definetely the dumb one
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:36 pm
skye

Originally Posted by Flixy
Not dumb at all, I've just bought a laptop so I know where you are coming from. I'm guessing that you had broadband on your main pc via a modem, well basically you replace that modem with a router, I asked my ISP (AOL) which one they support and bought that one off EBay for half the normal price, and because AOL supports it I got free phone help to configure it. Then your laptop will pick up your broadband via the wireless network. I'm no expert, but if you want to pm me I will help as much as I can.
I didn't even know if you could just close the lid on it though, so I'm definetely the dumb one
Thanks - we fly in three weeks and obviously need to use it away from a broadband connection! - need to have a look at its capability and specification!!!

Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Right I see, well i've not used it out yet, but I believe there are wireless hotspots as mentioned above in airports etc. But when you get there I think if you join the library you can use there connection for free, well I know you can in Adelaide. I'm presuming your laptop is wireless, it should be if it is new.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if its possible to buy some sort of card that slots into the wifi computer then pay a monthly fee to an isp provider without having to use a phone line to connect to broadband? Hope this makes sense !!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 2:26 pm
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

I have a card that you slot a sim card into and connect that way. Hutch will probably be along sometime to point you in the right direction.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

adamandchrisoff2adelaide is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Glad I just found this thread!

I have a question regarding routers. Does anyone know if you buy a ADSL/Router in the UK, will it still work ok in Australia? I heard something about 'different channels'. The UK use channels 11 and 13 Does Australia use these channels or different ones and if different, can you change the channels on your router!?!?

Very confusing is this PC/Laptop business. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Adam & Christine
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

When I was being guided through the configuration by AOl they told me the channel to chose, sorry I can't remember which one, but I would imagine you would just configure it again when you move.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

The laptop may or maynot contain an on-board wireless card, if it does then you need the asdl wirelass router plugged in in the house or use a public access point/ hot spot. Else if your laptop does not have onboard wireless then you require a PCMCIA card, which slots in the side of the laptop and this is basicaly your wireless network card, this card will then either conect to the ASDL wireless router in the houseor a public access point/ hotspot.

I noticed someone had mentioned that they had a card that takes a mobile phone sim card, this is called a GSM card and this card will transmit and recieve using te mobile phone network, but this is a very expensive way to go as you usualy require a subscription or you pay a massive download fee.

So wireless connecton is best.

Unfortunaitley I don't know the differences between Oz ASDL and UK ASDL yet, however i would imagine that the ASDL channel s are different and may not be supported, however I may be wrong.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

kevscotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Dumb Laptop question!!!!

Hello folks,
Here`s another question for laptop users:-
Is it worth buying a laptop in Scotland before moving out to oz or are laptops cheap enough to buy in Australia. Im asking this because i have seen a basic laptop selling for £300 in pc world
Thanks

P.S. Sorry if i`ve intruded on this thread
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:39 pm
skye

Originally Posted by adamandchrisoff2adelaide
Hi All,

Glad I just found this thread!

I have a question regarding routers. Does anyone know if you buy a ADSL/Router in the UK, will it still work ok in Australia? I heard something about 'different channels'. The UK use channels 11 and 13 Does Australia use these channels or different ones and if different, can you change the channels on your router!?!?

Very confusing is this PC/Laptop business. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Adam & Christine
ahhhhh - so I am not the only dumb one here just the one that was brave enough to put a thread on about it!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skye
ahhhhh - so I am not the only dumb one here just the one that was brave enough to put a thread on about it!!!!!!!!
If it's any consolation i totally agree cos i'm DUMBtoo
regards Bobby