Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drugs in Melbourne

Drugs in Melbourne

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Drugs in Melbourne

What is it with the endemic drug problem in Melbourne. I knew drugs were a major issue before I arrived, and i work in the Health service. But didnt think that it would be so bad. We live in Collingwood in Melbourne, which is a known drug area, but were on a nice street, and live in a security apartment. We have seen people in our garage shooting up, another in the downstairs garden, and a van outside screeched to a halt one morning while i was on the terrace, the guy was smoking either 'P' or heroin from some foil.

Also often see needles in the street. Crime is fairly high in the inner burbs too. Things are getting better an internal circular at friends govt job showed stats to say drug related crime has gone down for both supply and access to drugs. This was due to the recent organised crime operations which included some high profile arrests.

I think people back in the UK should know that Australian cities do have drug problems, I havnt seen the stats myself but when i lived in London, (tooting broadway) i never saw anyone taking drugs. Here in 2 months have seen way more than i thought i would.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drugs in Melbourne

Drugs are everywhere in the world, nowhere is free of them but I am fairly glad I don't live on your street
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Drugs are everywhere in the world, nowhere is free of them but I am fairly glad I don't live on your street
hey totally agree they are everywhere but Melbourne is covered in drug abused people. Never in two years living in New Zealand did i see any drug use, and i worked in the emergency dept.

Here, some suburbs are worse than the others, but it does seem to effect everywhere. You see people who are under the influence on the trians/trams, in the major city streets and parks. Its weird the houses in our street cost at least half to a million dollars, its a nice street, nice houses, nice people. We have a creche across the road, i certainly wouldnt want to have kids if i lived in the city.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:47 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
What is it with the endemic drug problem in Melbourne. I knew drugs were a major issue before I arrived, and i work in the Health service. But didnt think that it would be so bad. We live in Collingwood in Melbourne, which is a known drug area, but were on a nice street, and live in a security apartment. We have seen people in our garage shooting up, another in the downstairs garden, and a van outside screeched to a halt one morning while i was on the terrace, the guy was smoking either 'P' or heroin from some foil.

Also often see needles in the street. Crime is fairly high in the inner burbs too. Things are getting better an internal circular at friends govt job showed stats to say drug related crime has gone down for both supply and access to drugs. This was due to the recent organised crime operations which included some high profile arrests.

I think people back in the UK should know that Australian cities do have drug problems, I havnt seen the stats myself but when i lived in London, (tooting broadway) i never saw anyone taking drugs. Here in 2 months have seen way more than i thought i would.
London was way worse than Melbourne for organised drug related crime when I was living there (Camberwell/Ilford/Willesden). However, I haven't been in London for a few years but I can't imagine it is better than here. The needle problem in Melbourne is pretty bad, I agree, and the influx of ice seems to be a big problem.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:01 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

We found evidence of drug 'cultivation' when we bought our house.

They took all the bloody gear with them though, it was probably the bastard Estate Agents now I come to think about it.

Never seen any evidence in Brisbane but then again apparently you can't get a beer after 9pm on a Wednesday so what's the chances of a score?

Shops are crap and the t-shirts fade too, dunno why I stay really ...
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

hey totally agree they are everywhere but Melbourne is covered in drug abused people. Never in two years living in New Zealand did i see any drug use, and i worked in the emergency dept.

Here, some suburbs are worse than the others, but it does seem to effect everywhere. You see people who are under the influence on the trians/trams, in the major city streets and parks. Its weird the houses in our street cost at least half to a million dollars, its a nice street, nice houses, nice people. We have a creche across the road, i certainly wouldnt want to have kids if i lived in the city.

They must have moved off of Smith St, and into the Side Streets. Smith St was once the Drug Centre of Melbourne, from a scoring point of view, that was back in the late 80's and 90's though. I honestly thought it was cleared up. I've not seen anything in the inner city in recent years, except for around Russell St in the City.

Whats your surrounding main roads ?

Oh I have seen glue sniffers though, there are a few of those around.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We moved away from the Sydney area partly because of the drug problem. It's endemic here too, but not like Sydney.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
We moved away from the Sydney area partly because of the drug problem. It's endemic here too, but not like Sydney.
i love it here, and aint moving, do see it as part of the colourful area. But just hope we dont have any breakins, wouldnt be happy if we lived on the ground floor, without the barred windows, and security alarms and cameras.

We are living between smith and hoddle streets, smith street is getting better, some new boutique shops are starting up, but hope it doesnt go the way of Brunswick st or chapel in south Yarra, think i prefer the beggers and druggies to the trendy day spa types. (no offence) But do find the snooty trendies to be very funny lot.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:10 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

its everywhere when i came to oz i never seen junkies at all now only 2.5 years on ive seen quite a few normally in the city its not as bad as where i lived in the uk but give it time i think it will get there
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Sugo, you live in the most crime-ridden suburb in metropolitan Melbourne, what else do you expect? Move to a nicer area and you won't see druggies all the time.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:38 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sagacity
Sugo, you live in the most crime-ridden suburb in metropolitan Melbourne, what else do you expect? Move to a nicer area and you won't see druggies all the time.
Well, not the dirty unkempt kind ... there's a better class of drug user in the nicer 'burbs ... none of that blackened-spoon nonsense
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Sagacity is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Well, not the dirty unkempt kind ... there's a better class of drug user in the nicer 'burbs ... none of that blackened-spoon nonsense
Of course... They are more polite there, too . A step up would be St Kilda. Yes, the resident druggies are pretty poor, but there are a lot of cashed-up visitors from all over Melbourne every night. St Kilda Pier is the place of choice to meet and greet these worthy individuals.

The OP's story reminds me of a colleague of mine who lived in St Kilda for years as her partner worked as a chef in one of nearby restaurants, and it was convenient for them, what with his late shifts, and they didn't think the rest of Melbourne was any different.

Police helicopters flew over their street almost every night (police cars don't really go into the area), druggies would call them on the intercom during dinner and try and scam their way in to rob them, there was a squatter living in a shed in the backyard of a house next door who was in the habit of running around naked in the morning...

They finally moved out when the apartment block they rented in was set on fire (there was a drug dealer living in the same block, there was some healthy competition going on between him and another dealer).
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:30 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

What's 'P'?

Assuming you're not taking it (pun intended)
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 7:40 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

What is it with the endemic drug problem in
When we left Dublin in 2002, we could not believe the amount of young kids we were seeing shooting up on heroin in broad daylight in the middle of Temple Bar (prime tourist attraction in Dublin). Not to mention the increase in muggings at syringe point (I knew 2 people this happened to) and crime that seemed to be everywhere in DUblin at the time.

Been here 5 years now and can honestly say that I have seen nothing like that here in Melbourne.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sagacity

Abbotsford is miles away from Dandenong

Actually the worst suburb in Melbourne award, has always gone to Noble Park. People pay a million bucks for a house down Collingwood way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.