Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drugs in Australian Sport

Drugs in Australian Sport

Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:11 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Drugs in Australian Sport

Ding Ding - Round 1

Well I doubt very much that any of them were taking smart drugs lol.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:20 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drugs in Australian Sport

The connection that doesn't seem to have been made yet is the one between the introduction of large sums of money in sport, and drug taking. So called amateur sports can net the individual millions for a win rather than second place - on top of their desire to do well anyway. Is it any surprise that they'll cheat?

Money corrupts.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It has been going on for years

Just demonstrates the media hypocrisy over the Lance Armstrong affair
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It has been going on for years
Looks like it.

I said to my wife last night that I am over mass organised sport in some ways and am difficulty in reconciling sport as I think I'd like to know it and whether my kids should get involved. Political I know.

Which got me thinking about my own sporting life. Which was rugby. And lots of outdoor stuff. As there is little rugby in Victoria, (it does exist) I really can't get excited about organised mainstream sport for my kids here. I need to make some choices about any direction I might have to push my son in. It won't be AFL, soccer was always out, might it be cricket. Even dance would be preferable, Mum's an old hand.

At least you can get on a bike and exercise.

Or eschew mainstream sport entirely? Thoughts?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:23 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Looks like it.

I said to my wife last night that I am over mass organised sport in some ways and am difficulty in reconciling sport as I think I'd like to know it and whether my kids should get involved. Political I know.

Which got me thinking about my own sporting life. Which was rugby. And lots of outdoor stuff. As there is little rugby in Victoria, (it does exist) I really can't get excited about organised mainstream sport for my kids here. I need to make some choices about any direction I might have to push my son in. It won't be AFL, soccer was always out, might it be cricket. Even dance would be preferable, Mum's an old hand.

At least you can get on a bike and exercise.

Or eschew mainstream sport entirely? Thoughts?
Maybe encourage kids to study one of the sciences instead, maths and English are always good too, literature, philosophy, world history, permaculture, natural history... All these things are much healthier than kicking a pigs bladder round a paddock IMO.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Align the problems with organised cheating with a fall from the Olympic Medal podium, look at the AIS etc, and all of a sudden, not only did an entire sporting generation 'renaissance' ebb, but never happened!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pomikev
Maybe encourage kids to study one of the sciences instead, maths and English are always good too, literature, philosophy, world history, permaculture, natural history... All these things are much healthier than kicking a pigs bladder round a paddock IMO.
I'm in good mind to keep them in skis, boots and ropes - balls are not everything. Exercise and training are important.

We tend to maintain the chitchat around the table.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:17 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be surprised if any of the Olympic sports get caught up in this at all. Whilst individuals can and will always cheat it is infinitely more likely to be endemic in sports that don't regulate their athletes with ASADA testing and instead adopt 'in house testing' - AFL, NRL, Union etc. unfortunately at the moment all sport is being tarred with the same brush.

Hopefully when the dust settles it'll be clear that the vast majority (99%) of Olympic sport athletes (athletics, volleyball, swimming, hockey etc) are clean as the random and year-round drug testing undertaken by ASADA makes it impossible to be anything else.

Badge - how about Hockey for your boy? Popular and great fitness and leagues from Junior to Masters level.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
I'll be surprised if any of the Olympic sports get caught up in this at all. Whilst individuals can and will always cheat it is infinitely more likely to be endemic in sports that don't regulate their athletes with ASADA testing and instead adopt 'in house testing' - AFL, NRL, Union etc. unfortunately at the moment all sport is being tarred with the same brush.

Hopefully when the dust settles it'll be clear that the vast majority (99%) of Olympic sport athletes (athletics, volleyball, swimming, hockey etc) are clean as the random and year-round drug testing undertaken by ASADA makes it impossible to be anything else.

Badge - how about Hockey for your boy? Popular and great fitness and leagues from Junior to Masters level.
He'd bash his sisters
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon theres drugs in sport here.

Partners niece was a small petite little thing, did sunday nippers. Poor kid has very controlling pushy, ambitous mother, in like 6 months she went from tiny and petite to russian weightlifter, chinese swimmer style Now an ironwoman, think she ate more than cereal
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I was over mass market sports after my father took me to watch a football match when I was about 10. Just watching people running after a ball and watching the chimps screaming in the stadium over a near miss amazed me. As an adult I firmly believe that sports are simply there to distract the little people from the reality of life.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No idea who the guy was that said this, some talking head on TV very early this morning on a news show that was on as background noise at work, been wheeled in as an "expert" on Australian sport.
He stated that he "couldn't see why there was such a big fuss over doping" and compared it to a team paying slightly over the salary cap. He said it is no more a "bad thing" to win by taking banned substances than it is to win by taking on a player who gets paid a couple of $$ more than they should.

My colleague and I were just stunned! If thats the kind of attitude that exists in some sporting circles I can understand why taking banned drugs is so widespread.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by isgraham
I was over mass market sports after my father took me to watch a football match when I was about 10. Just watching people running after a ball and watching the chimps screaming in the stadium over a near miss amazed me. As an adult I firmly believe that sports are simply there to distract the little people from the reality of life.
Totally agree....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
He'd bash his sisters
Why? All 5 of my brothers played hockey and not one of them ever "bashed" me or my sisters.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? All 5 of my brothers played hockey and not one of them ever "bashed" me or my sisters.
I was joking.

He's 3 - he loves saying 'Kapow!!!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.