Wikiposts

drug use in OZ

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

What's the Guinness like?.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:28 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

Did anyone see that a 5-year old girl at a Northern Territory school demonstrated how to make a bong from a drinks bottle for 'show and tell' at school!!!

Apparently there is a serious drugs problem at PRIMARY schools for 5-12 year olds in the NT. I doubt it's as serious as the media make out, but 5-year olds smoking a bong is pretty bad!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Amazulu
What's the Guinness like?.
Foul!

Guinness was usually my drink of choice in British pubs, but here it's revolting. I've tried to get used to it, but have had no luck. They reckon they use the same recipe, but there must be a different brewing process, or the water's bad.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brisnick
Did anyone see that a 5-year old girl at a Northern Territory school demonstrated how to make a bong from a drinks bottle for 'show and tell' at school!!!

Apparently there is a serious drugs problem at PRIMARY schools for 5-12 year olds in the NT. I doubt it's as serious as the media make out, but 5-year olds smoking a bong is pretty bad!
Didn't beleive it when someone sent me the article today, so I did a search, it's true.....

Girl, 5, makes bong in class

By EDITH BEVIN
360 words
29 September 2003
Sunday Territorian
1 -
English
(c) 2003

Show and tell shock

A five-year-old Territory girl shocked teachers when she showed her class how to make a bong out of a Coke bottle during a "show and tell" session.

The incident took place at a primary school in Darwin's northern suburbs.

The revelation comes amid mounting concerns over drug use among Territory primary school students.

At least two instances have been reported to the Education Department of children aged between five and 12 being caught with drugs at school.

In one case the drug was amphetamine.

Teachers have indicated this may be the tip of the iceberg.

"The little girl showing how to make a bong was the most in-your-face example of drug culture among primary school students I've heard of," one teacher said.

"It's not unheard of that primary school children will be found with drugs at school," the teacher, who did not want to be named, said.

"Usually it's just a bit of dope -- they've probably nicked it from their mum's purse and brought it along to show off. I've never heard of dealing at a primary school here."

But dealing at Territory schools is not unheard of, police say.

The NT Drug Enforcement Unit has run operations at high schools targeting dealing on school grounds.

The Northern Territory News has learned a member of the NT police has been seconded to the Education Department to work on its new drug policy and protocols.

"The drug education policy is under revision to ensure it accurately reflects modern trends," a police spokesperson said.

A Department of Education spokesman said students being found with drugs was rare.

"Usually, the student involved would be suspended for a period determined by the school," he said.

"The student would also receive counselling and would be required to successfully undertake a re-entry interview before returning to the school once the period of suspension has passed."
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:44 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Nara
Didn't beleive it when someone sent me the article today, so I did a search, it's true.....

Girl, 5, makes bong in class

By EDITH BEVIN
360 words
29 September 2003
Sunday Territorian
1 -
English
(c) 2003

Show and tell shock

A five-year-old Territory girl shocked teachers when she showed her class how to make a bong out of a Coke bottle during a "show and tell" session.

The incident took place at a primary school in Darwin's northern suburbs.

The revelation comes amid mounting concerns over drug use among Territory primary school students.

At least two instances have been reported to the Education Department of children aged between five and 12 being caught with drugs at school.

In one case the drug was amphetamine.

Teachers have indicated this may be the tip of the iceberg.

"The little girl showing how to make a bong was the most in-your-face example of drug culture among primary school students I've heard of," one teacher said.

"It's not unheard of that primary school children will be found with drugs at school," the teacher, who did not want to be named, said.

"Usually it's just a bit of dope -- they've probably nicked it from their mum's purse and brought it along to show off. I've never heard of dealing at a primary school here."

But dealing at Territory schools is not unheard of, police say.

The NT Drug Enforcement Unit has run operations at high schools targeting dealing on school grounds.

The Northern Territory News has learned a member of the NT police has been seconded to the Education Department to work on its new drug policy and protocols.

"The drug education policy is under revision to ensure it accurately reflects modern trends," a police spokesperson said.

A Department of Education spokesman said students being found with drugs was rare.

"Usually, the student involved would be suspended for a period determined by the school," he said.

"The student would also receive counselling and would be required to successfully undertake a re-entry interview before returning to the school once the period of suspension has passed."
thats bonkers!!!!!!

Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:31 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by brisnick

Maybe she's just seen her parents / older brother or sister making a bong. Does the article actually say that she used the bong? Kids at the age of 5 don't go out and score drugs and then bring them home and smoke them.

Remember here when Sadie Frosts daughter swallowed half a pill? If the press had decided to word it differently you would think that she had gone out to a club and bought it instead of just finding it on the floor and, like all children, stuck it in her mouth.

I don't have children but I know that 5year old's imitate what older people are doing. Maybe that is the case of this 5 year old child making a bong.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:39 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed!

And also the article makes it sound like there is dealing going on in Primary schools, but the whole bottom half of the article is about High schools! The police say dealing at schools is not unheard of, but if you read on, I'm pretty sure they mean High schools.

Not that that's good! aargggh, stupid kids!
Old Sep 30th 2003, 4:52 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I think there was someone on another post wondering why there was no one complaining about the drug posts. As you say drugs are a part of Oz culture and there are differences to the UK which makes the topic ripe for discussion.

hang on a minute! If you meant my post I was only making the POINT that no-one had complained about it!! I wasnt complaining!

been there
done that
seen the fatal consequences...

wasnt criticizing anyone, just joining in a discussion (on that particular thread) about what was relevant to discuss!

you go for it guys!

sue