Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drug rehab backs onto childrens' nursery

Drug rehab backs onto childrens' nursery

Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:39 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drug rehab backs onto childrens' nursery

Hi guys,

A grade 2 listed building situated in a sleepy Essex village, without a police station, is to be turned into a drugs and alcohol rehab centre.

The building backs onto a children’s day nursery and is separated by only a fence. It is two minutes walk from a second nursery and children’s playground and is within 2 miles of 10 schools. The main school bus stop is directly opposite the building.

Local residents are concerned about the proposed change of use of this building; it is surrounded on al sides by privately owned family homes many with young children and retirees who have lived in the area for many years. This beautiful old treasure was formerly a residence for the care of the elderly and residents would welcome its continued use as such.

At a recent meeting held to discuss this issue the new owner of the hall, Maureen Stewart, who does not live in the village, callously commented that the alternative was a home for the 'handicapped', " and we thought community wouldn't want that".

One resident commented, “in light of the recent Soham tragedy and ensuing enquiry one would think that child protection would be high on the agenda of any planning decision�. This however, is not the case, according to the planning services office they do not consider such things when making their decision, they only consider material concerns.

The residents and the local headteachers fears come not from the guests that will be housed in the unit but from the friends and associates that will undoubtedly be attracted to the facility.

Due to the over whelming reaction to this planning application the deadline for objections has be extended by one week given residents time to have their concerns addressed.

I would by very interested to hear if anyone has any experience of such a unit in their community and what effects, if any, they can relate.

Thanks guys
ACE
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drug rehab backs onto childrens' nursery

Originally posted by ACE
Hi guys,

A grade 2 listed building situated in a sleepy Essex village, without a police station, is to be turned into a drugs and alcohol rehab centre.

The building backs onto a children’s day nursery and is separated by only a fence. It is two minutes walk from a second nursery and children’s playground and is within 2 miles of 10 schools. The main school bus stop is directly opposite the building.

Local residents are concerned about the proposed change of use of this building; it is surrounded on al sides by privately owned family homes many with young children and retirees who have lived in the area for many years. This beautiful old treasure was formerly a residence for the care of the elderly and residents would welcome its continued use as such.

At a recent meeting held to discuss this issue the new owner of the hall, Maureen Stewart, who does not live in the village, callously commented that the alternative was a home for the 'handicapped', " and we thought community wouldn't want that".

One resident commented, “in light of the recent Soham tragedy and ensuing enquiry one would think that child protection would be high on the agenda of any planning decision�. This however, is not the case, according to the planning services office they do not consider such things when making their decision, they only consider material concerns.

The residents and the local headteachers fears come not from the guests that will be housed in the unit but from the friends and associates that will undoubtedly be attracted to the facility.

Due to the over whelming reaction to this planning application the deadline for objections has be extended by one week given residents time to have their concerns addressed.

I would by very interested to hear if anyone has any experience of such a unit in their community and what effects, if any, they can relate.

Thanks guys
ACE

That's not good news ACE. Bl**dy councils don't think full stop.

Have no experience of such things but sincerely hope that you can all get together to get it stopped.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 7:20 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by moneypen20
That's not good news ACE. Bl**dy councils don't think full stop.

Have no experience of such things but sincerely hope that you can all get together to get it stopped.
Thanks MP,
Hubby and I have been out for the past few days posting leaflets, putting up posters and talking to people, making them aware of the situation and just letting them know how to lodge a sucessful complaint if they want to. It is a frightening time and we may not make any difference but we have to try not least for poor Pam and Julie who own the nursery and have already had parents say that they will withdraw their children if this goes ahead.

ACE
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:00 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ACE
Thanks MP,
Hubby and I have been out for the past few days posting leaflets, putting up posters and talking to people, making them aware of the situation and just letting them know how to lodge a sucessful complaint if they want to. It is a frightening time and we may not make any difference but we have to try not least for poor Pam and Julie who own the nursery and have already had parents say that they will withdraw their children if this goes ahead.

ACE
A simmilar thing is happening in Pease Pottage a village near Crawley, The council are trying to find a dedicated place for "travellers" to put their caravans. after the council "worked" through the options they decided on a field that is used as a Brownie/ scouts camp which backs on to a private boarding school.
From what I gather they are splitting the land in 2 so the Brownies etc can still use half of it (who'd seriously let there kids sleep in a tent next to a travellers camp?)

They had a public meeting and it was attended by 2 travellers who were there to re-assure the local ressidents that they are good people so I am assuming that the travellers would have sent 2 of their most law abiding members and ten minutes into the meeting one of them has grabbed his coat and is offering one one of the villagers a fight. Needless to say the meeting came to a hault, the council pretty much admitted thatthey did not look at all the facts properly and it has gone back to the drawing board.

I hope both you and the people of Pease Pottage finally get your pionts to these blind council members

You can guarantee it wouldn't happen if a council member lived nearby.

Kala
Old Jul 8th 2004, 8:48 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by kala
A simmilar thing is happening in Pease Pottage a village near Crawley, The council are trying to find a dedicated place for "travellers" to put their caravans. after the council "worked" through the options they decided on a field that is used as a Brownie/ scouts camp which backs on to a private boarding school.
From what I gather they are splitting the land in 2 so the Brownies etc can still use half of it (who'd seriously let there kids sleep in a tent next to a travellers camp?)

They had a public meeting and it was attended by 2 travellers who were there to re-assure the local ressidents that they are good people so I am assuming that the travellers would have sent 2 of their most law abiding members and ten minutes into the meeting one of them has grabbed his coat and is offering one one of the villagers a fight. Needless to say the meeting came to a hault, the council pretty much admitted thatthey did not look at all the facts properly and it has gone back to the drawing board.

I hope both you and the people of Pease Pottage finally get your pionts to these blind council members

You can guarantee it wouldn't happen if a council member lived nearby.

Kala
Hi Kala thanks for your support.

I have been very busy leafletting, knocking on doors and putting up notices. I have had a tremendous response and hundreds of people have written objection letters.

I have been a real pain writing to MPs even the PM and I received a message from The House of Commons today which is good news. I contacted the media and did an interview for a national newspaper today. They are running the story on Monday and have said that I can't talk to any other papers before then. I'll let you know which paper on Sunday.

ACE