Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Wikiposts

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Old Jul 29th 2006, 3:20 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by banjo
well....I don't know all the ins and outs of the science behind it, but the idea of drinking recycled water doesn't appeal to me either!
But dont we all do it anyway?????

I kinda like the idea as I drain the dragon that my contribution could end up in Mr Blair's tea, or Mr Bush's Coffee.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by banjo
well....I don't know all the ins and outs of the science behind it, but the idea of drinking recycled water doesn't appeal to me either!
Not picking on you, its just that your post sums up the perception of most people!
Have to point out that ALL water is recycled and has been for millions of years. Every drop you use has been through an animal at some point!!
There's nothing wrong with recycled water. Recycling waste into drinking water via chemicals and UV etc is simply an accelerated replication of what nature does.
Don't kid yourselves - that glass of water you're enjoying has been poo at some point in its life!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:07 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Not picking on you, its just that your post sums up the perception of most people!
Have to point out that ALL water is recycled and has been for millions of years. Every drop you use has been through an animal at some point!!
There's nothing wrong with recycled water. Recycling waste into drinking water via chemicals and UV etc is simply an accelerated replication of what nature does.
Don't kid yourselves - that glass of water you're enjoying has been poo at some point in its life!!!!
All true, infact they recon we have all at sometime drunk the piss of genghis khan. Its ALL recycled and frankly I'd rather drink stuff that has been manually recycled and tested than something drawn from a river or lake that has had god knows what dumped into it over the years.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:47 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Peter Beattie supports recycling water. I'm surprised such an astute politician allowed the Toowoombans to vote on whether they would be happy (in their minds) "drinking their neighbours piss"
He does today but tomorrow the weak willed wanker may well have reverted to his stance of last week which was the "Armageddon option"
Some people are to stupid to be politicians others are so full of their own importance that they'll spend billions of dollars building waste of time dam that will do nothing to stop Brisbane running out of water before it's even built.
Pete and his puddles will be remembered around these parts long after he's paled into insignificance.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by thribble
I know there's a group in Toowoomba called Citizens Against Drinking Sewage

C A D S!!!

Excellent!!!

One imagines a town full of James Hewitt lookalikes!

Buzzy
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:50 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by The Bloke
You heard what an "expert" is: an "ex" is a has-been and a "(s)pert" is a drip under pressure.
another definition of expert is -

"ex" - meaning "used to be"

"pert" - meaning "an erect tit" !!!

Buzzy
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by 232Bar
When all else fails - drink only beer. Oh hang on...must have failed a while ago at our house
Noooo!!!! Leave some for me!!!

Oh OK - I'll bring my own.

Buzzy
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
I think that part of the problem is that 25% of the water was to be recycled sewerage, whereas in Europe the figure is 2-3%.

Our illustrious mayor has just declared that its too late for us Brisbane residents to even have a referendum. If we don't get rain this summer then it will be forced onto us. Meanwhile Peter Beattie and the council mayors are all fighting about whose fault it is. As usual.

Jane
Referendum is now supposed to be 2008, bit hard to work out whats going on really, mornings news also said, NSW and Victoria have rejected recycled water, have no idea if that was the public or at a political level

Like you say so much fighting and mud slinging goes on its pretty hard to weed out the facts.

As for Toowoomba probably not the most forward thinking place to do a poll but then I may be biased, we have the most racist, bigoted aussies ever met next door, 2 nurses from toowoomba, never left the place till they moved here
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand why they have so many referendums anyway. The thinking in the UK seems to be you have voted in a polititian, you then rely on them doing what they can to your benefit (obviously this goes pear shaped quite often ) but why have pontificating politians if everytime a decision needs taking they go back to the people who, let's be honest, haven't got a clue as to the true impact of said decision. Human nature dictates that NIMBY will win every time
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I don't quite understand why they have so many referendums anyway. The thinking in the UK seems to be you have voted in a polititian, you then rely on them doing what they can to your benefit (obviously this goes pear shaped quite often ) but why have pontificating politians if everytime a decision needs taking they go back to the people who, let's be honest, haven't got a clue as to the true impact of said decision. Human nature dictates that NIMBY will win every time
Except in the UK everyone complains that we don't get referendums, and that the politicians do what they want without any input...

There was an interesting article in the Weekend Australian magazine about this over the weekend (I have a scan but it's 6MB). Basically biased reporting - missing out facts and in one case blatantly getting it wrong - whilst pretending to be rational. NIMBYs will win every time if even the papers give in to that perception.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:48 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We should all get up to Wivenhoe now an piss into it before its too late if you ask me
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've just heard on the radio that we in Melbourne, are probably going on to stage 2 restrictions this summer. (stage 2 means only watering gardens 2 hours in the evening and mornings rather than the current stage3 situation of 3 hours morning and night)

Over the years Ive seen the situation slip, from a happy anything goes, where in the early 80's people had their sprinklers on all day in the summer, to hose pipe bans in recent years.

Now water being the valuable commodity that it is. It seems to me that one thing this country is getting wrong time and time and time again, is insisting on water conservation instead of going after the damn stuff.

I'm told there is abundant quantities available in the tropical regions of this country. Surely harvesting water in as large quantities as possible would not only benefit the Cities of this country, but open up great tracts of land.

If there isn't enough water here, I've heard tales that it's possible to pipeline it in from the some of the highest catchments in the world up in New Guinea.... they do it with oil, surely Water to Australia is that important.

Rant over.... I'm one person thats hates water conservation, loves green and wants to soak Australia.

How about getting on with it.

I'm grey watering with a vengance this year.... bet the same thing happens again, I get a note from the waterboard asking how I'm watering in the daytime.... Courtesy of a complaint by a neighbour in the flats nearby.... Blimey anyone would think it's dead unusual to use greywater .... Stupid mass water conservation mentality.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:29 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

If there isn't enough water here, I've heard tales that it's possible to pipeline it in from the some of the highest catchments in the world up in New Guinea.... they do it with oil, surely Water to Australia is that important.

Rant over.... I'm one person thats hates water conservation, loves green and wants to soak Australia.
If you are prepared to pay US$70 a barrel you can have anything you like piped from PNG.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
If you are prepared to pay US$70 a barrel you can have anything you like piped from PNG.

I would definitely pay 3 times my water bill at present to set up the infrastructure I wouldn't want to sustain that indefnitely. If the cost where spread across the whole country, as it would benefit the whole country if the scale where big enough, the short term pain would be followed by long term gain.

There could be enough water falling on the Australian mainland up north, if the powers that be can figure a way of catching a sizeable proportion, instead of letting it flow down rivers back to the sea.

The opposite situation is the whole of the South east of the country turning brown every summer.

I hate the Native plant look, anyone going up the Hume past the new treeless bland estates knows whats coming.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 4:53 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There could be enough water falling on the Australian mainland up north, if the powers that be can figure a way of catching a sizeable proportion, instead of letting it flow down rivers back to the sea.
Do you realise what you are saying?

Australia has already killed the Murray, and many other waterways, through mass extraction from primary sources. The solution to Australias water problem is NOT to be found in looking for more places for direct extraction, but in more efficient ways to manage the current catchments. One of the best methods for this is recycling.

Ecosystems in tropical environments are EVEN more sensitive to the amount of water passing through (and being removed) from the system, than mediterranian and temperate areas.

As someone mentioned further up in this thread. Chemical recycling is simply the water cycle, sped up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.