Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the Drought over.

Is the Drought over.

Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:44 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Is the Drought over.

l read the Melbournes reserviours are almost full and large rainfall recently, is the drought over in most of OZ?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Drought over.

Melbourne's water storages are at 37.4% of capacity.

Only last year saw less water in the dams at this stage of the year, out of the last 12 years anyway.

Bit too early to call time on Melbourne's water problems I think.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 10:54 pm
ABCDiamond

There will always be a drought in some parts of Austalia, and often they will occur while other parts are in flood.

Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Not by a long way...it depends how you measure it..the Thompson is still only 20pc..

It's good though that we did get rain this spring. I was digging fence posts last weekend and the ground was great 600mm below the surface. We always get fairly good rain up here.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:03 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Even ignoring the outback there are large areas of Oz that have such water-repellent ground that nothing short of years of constant medium rain will "wet" it beyond the first 2".

Our garden is just that - I have never seen such soil, even though I have had gardens that would have the water run off before.

Heavy rain in these soils just runs sideways and flash-floods and does nothing for a drought.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If it is over could someone tell my garden that I have to keep watering.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

The resevoirs are nowhere near full as per BC worlds post!

However down here in the Wimmera, in some parts, we have moved from stage 4 to stage 1 restrictions! Part of this is because we have had great rainfall this winter and part of it is because the Wimmera Mallee Pipeline is starting to come online and the savings are now there to be seen! My hubbie is involved in it

But I myself can't bring myself to water the grass, we use gray water from our washing machine and shower to do that. I couldn't waste good drinking water on it. Plus i've started getting into succulents as a plant, dead hardy, water wise and very pretty some of them. I hope most people won't waste water on watering grass. My brother in law moved down from Qld recently and I caught him washing down our car with a hose! I nearly had a heartattack! He hadn't realised we don't do that here, well up until a few weeks ago you could get reported for it.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Even ignoring the outback there are large areas of Oz that have such water-repellent ground that nothing short of years of constant medium rain will "wet" it beyond the first 2".
People have been complaining about that the last 3 years.

That is why I was amazed to find mud and clay so far down.