the drought

Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:07 am
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of
Default the drought

well this is td1's hubby and wanted to ask about the drought.

we have been here 6 months now and all i can see is that there is sooo no water!!!!
the dams are 39% full, there is no rain coming. unless i do the rain dance!!!

does anybody else think about this and go to work wondering why they are here when in a couple of months the dams could be even lower and we could be all out of water soon.

i mean why has the government decided to go to level 3 restrictions now, why didnt they go to level 4 months ago.?

does anybody know what they are doing about this? my family are very water saving people and when we get our bill we are well under the amount that it says that only 3 people should use.

is there anyone who might be able to reassure me that im wetting me pants for nothing. just that im thinking about buying a house and dont know if this country is going to the bones, ie very dry. that its not worth being here.

apart from this problem the country and lifestyle i have is better than uk, just that i need to drink and wash!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the drought

Originally Posted by td1
well this is td1's hubby and wanted to ask about the drought.

we have been here 6 months now and all i can see is that there is sooo no water!!!!
the dams are 39% full, there is no rain coming. unless i do the rain dance!!!

does anybody else think about this and go to work wondering why they are here when in a couple of months the dams could be even lower and we could be all out of water soon.

i mean why has the government decided to go to level 3 restrictions now, why didnt they go to level 4 months ago.?

does anybody know what they are doing about this? my family are very water saving people and when we get our bill we are well under the amount that it says that only 3 people should use.

is there anyone who might be able to reassure me that im wetting me pants for nothing. just that im thinking about buying a house and dont know if this country is going to the bones, ie very dry. that its not worth being here.

apart from this problem the country and lifestyle i have is better than uk, just that i need to drink and wash!!!!
Well here is South Oz we are going on to level 3 restrictions in January. It doesn't affect us so much as we are on re-cycled water for watering gardens, flushing toilets etc.

I have heard they are going to cut water supplies to them that use too much though. I'll look for a link
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060913/2/10ivp.html

Looks like it's for Victoria
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:40 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere today (wish i could remember the link) that in the last few years due to poor management, Australia has lost the equivalent of 92 Syndey harbours of water. Enough to sustain life in Sydney for the next 80 years
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:45 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by td1

Well you do realise that this country is turning into a desert...not actually reverting from being one?

20 million others also need to drink and wash, but seems very politically dicey to force recycling of water here like they have in UK, Singapore etc. People just don't like the thought of it. Maybe when everyone gets rationed like 2 litres a day drinking water they might change their minds
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Now we all know that poms don't wash So it's just drinking you will have to worry about.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 6:59 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

If the drought continues everyone in OZ will be drinking sea water and their own urine.:scared:
But not me l have an unlimited supply of bore water beneath my land which l pump up and its all free, no water restriction for me.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:13 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
That might stop those who don't give a damn about fines from watering their lawns ...
Walked past a house down the road from me and couldn't believe they still have green grass.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:20 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If the drought continues everyone in OZ will be drinking sea water and their own urine.:scared:
But not me l have an unlimited supply of bore water beneath my land which l pump up and its all free, no water restriction for me.
I'm not being funny but bores do dry up y'Lordship. If it was that easy why aren't there bores being drilled in every town as we speak? ??? Would that work? (until they dry up of course). Maybe the aborigines are having a laugh now cos they know how to get water. We've had it too good for too long perhaps?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:44 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I'm not being funny but bores do dry up y'Lordship. If it was that easy why aren't there bores being drilled in every town as we speak? ??? Would that work? (until they dry up of course). Maybe the aborigines are having a laugh now cos they know how to get water. We've had it too good for too long perhaps?
His Lorship's mannor is underneath a massive underground water supply, l use stacks of water all through summer and its never run out. l live in an area near the coast that gets high rainfall, most places on OZ don't have the underground water reserves my area does.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 30th 2006 at 8:48 am.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:45 am
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the link Wendy. We are in Victoria and had come across some of that info already - will just have to wait and see what happens.

It may be politically dicey to force re-cycling of water on people here and they might not like it, but too be honest what is the alternative!!!!! If the dams dont fill up, where is it all going to magically come from.

It also worries me that on this site people emigrating are more worried about which 7 seater car they should buy !!! I think that people need to be so aware of the more serious situations going on and i would love someone to let me know anything they have heard that will hopefully get us all out of this situation.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
I don't get it!

What's the problem with drinking desalinated & treated sea water?
Or with recycling waste water to make it re-usable?
Aren't there desalination plants in Australia already, and more on the way?
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not all of Australia is in drought. The north of the country is fine & we have no restrictions in WA (or any planned). As usual this is all being blamed on global warming, end of the world etc & is being called the worst drought ever. There was an interesting article in The Weekend Australian about the droughts in 1900 & 1920's & others being far, far worse. That doesn't make good headlines for the tabloids & Today Tonight though.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 1:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We have a desal. plant in Perth & another planned. We should have recycled water though & it is criminal that we don't.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We have a desal. plant in Perth & another planned. We should have recycled water though & it is criminal that we don't.

If there is one thing that really pisses me off about this country, it's the fact that they dont have a decent water infrastructure.

I would definitely pay 300 pct on my water rates, if i could get all the water I want.
I think these government restrictions on water is the most intrusive thing I've ever had any government do to me personally.

To those that complain about rain and sleet, at least you know it will end up being used as "GREEN"....

I'm sick of drought now... BTW I talked to my wifes uncle... It was worse in 1983.... It's just that there are more people using water now, without the added infrastructure.

F... the federal system, which is the main reason for this.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 30th 2006 at 2:37 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.