Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dropping a year in school

Dropping a year in school

Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:31 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dropping a year in school

The school my kids are going to in the Blue Mountains have told us that the eldest is going to have to drop a year because there's no room in the year she should be in.

This will mean my 9yr old will now be the eldest in her year, instead of one of the youngest in the year she would be in.

The system is radically different to the UK and I am hoping this will mean it will take her time to settle in and she won't be left unchallenged by dropping the year.

Has anyone had any experiences with their children adjusting to the system by having to drop a year?

Last edited by iPom; Mar 30th 2006 at 7:51 am.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default Re: Dropping a year in school

Originally Posted by iPom
The school my kids are going to in the Blue Mountains have told us that the eldest is going to have to drop a year because there's no room in the year she should be in.

This will mean my 9yr old will now be the eldest in her year, instead of one of the youngest in the year she would be in.

The system is radically different to the UK and I am hoping this will mean it will take her time to settle in and she won't be left unchallenged by dropping the year.

Has anyone had any experiences with their children adjusting to the system?
I have found that it depends on schools and areas. Some have said the schools are easier here and visa versa. The school that my daughter is attending is more advanced to her school in the UK and even though she is going into the correct grade for her age I have told her that if she finds it too difficult she can go into the year below. I have heard from several parents who had there children put into the year below which helped them settle a lot easier into the education system. I hope some more parents can help with their answers.
Good luck
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:14 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Has anyone had any experiences with their children adjusting to the system?
Hello mate

Our children aged nearly six and eight have started school recently and I understand your feelings.
We visited schools last November and discussed this at great length with the school Principals.

They were, because of age appropriate school years, due to be enrolled in years 1 and 4. In England they were years 1 and 3.

In England they had both completed 5 months in their respective years so the Deputy Principal assessed their ability on our request.

Bearing in mind the school year is 2 months in now.

Robyn will be one of the oldest in her year (6 this year) and was assessed as more towards year 2 than 1 and if we pressed it she could have been enrolled in year 2. Now this is all fine and dandy but when she is at High School and 14 years of age she will be in a class full of 15 year olds.

The Deputy Principal and ourselves thought it best for her to stay in year 1. With all the stresses of the move she can now effectively relax in class as she is repeating work she has already done but be in the top of the class. The teacher ensures she has a different range of reading books.

Alex is 8 (9 this year) and has effectivley gone up a year if you like. He was assessed using year 4 and 5 material, it was suggested that he should enrol for year 4 which we were happy with. There are certain things he has already covered and some he hasn't. In year 4 they use a calculator which he had never used so he's using it like his PS2 at the moment (novelty factor), I keep asking him which level is he on.

Back to your original question, our daughter will be repeating the last 5 months but will help her to settle in much easier I think, much like yours.

Can the teachers give her extra work in the respect of harder reading and maths, if that's something you would feel would be beneficial?

Rich
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:16 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Has anyone had any experiences with their children adjusting to the system by having to drop a year?
I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole in WA - with regard to Maths and English at least I'd rather ours were advanced two years! These two subjects do however for better or worse seem to carry less weight in the curriculum over here - there's more emphasis on social skills, home economics etc. etc.
Please note that I have no experience of schooling in other States, and so my advice may be of little or no relevance there.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LesleyM
I have found that it depends on schools and areas. Some have said the schools are easier here and visa versa. The school that my daughter is attending is more advanced to her school in the UK and even though she is going into the correct grade for her age I have told her that if she finds it too difficult she can go into the year below. I have heard from several parents who had there children put into the year below which helped them settle a lot easier into the education system. I hope some more parents can help with their answers.
Good luck

Thanks Lesley

The school she's going to is an independant, which is set up like a Montessori type learning environment. I'm hoping that the change from 'being taught' in the UK, to 'finding out and experimenting with guidance' is going to be enough for her.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Back to your original question, our daughter will be repeating the last 5 months but will help her to settle in much easier I think, much like yours.

Can the teachers give her extra work in the respect of harder reading and maths, if that's something you would feel would be beneficial?

Rich

Rich, thank you. That sounds good. I am sure the last thing the school wants is to have a bored child on their hands. She's 9yrs old, but is ahead in her reading and comprehension by years. I think they're expecting a 9 yr old but what they're going to get will surprise them. I suppose I'm just worried that she'll be drifting. She'll have been in year 3 since last September, but joining year 3 on May 2. I'm hoping it's going to be enough for her.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:02 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Thanks Lesley

The school she's going to is an independant, which is set up like a Montessori type learning environment. I'm hoping that the change from 'being taught' in the UK, to 'finding out and experimenting with guidance' is going to be enough for her.
This assignment-based 'research for yourself' approach is big in WA from year 7/8 onwards. I commented to an Aussie (who's now a mature student) that this approach was good preparation for life ahead, and that my kids were thriving on it, and her comment was (with sarcasm) 'It's all well and good as long as they can read, write and add up first'.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:40 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole in WA - with regard to Maths and English at least I'd rather ours were advanced two years! These two subjects do however for better or worse seem to carry less weight in the curriculum over here - there's more emphasis on social skills, home economics etc. etc.
Please note that I have no experience of schooling in other States, and so my advice may be of little or no relevance there.
I am going to disagree with you for the second time today Brian! My daughter was the youngest in her year in the UK but is redoing year 3 as one of the eldest out here. She was average-to-good in most subjects but a little behind in English so the confidence of being one of the best helps her a lot. I can imagine though that a "gifted" kid could get bored and lose interest in school if being held back.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:51 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Ask them to assess her standard/level of work. if they can't provide tuition at her level then contact the NSW Dept of education. There are ways around problems like this,even if she has to work a year at distance or correspondence schooling. But I see no reason why she couldn't be given separate work from other kids and stay in class but at her correct level. She shouldn't be penalised just so the school can exercise minimum effort.

The only thing she'd miss out on if she did a higher level work in that class woudl be group work, so they would not use that as a means of assessment. It's not that difficult really, just schools/teachers like to think they can keep within their own comfort zones at times.

Other option (if u can manage it) would be private school.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bal56
This assignment-based 'research for yourself' approach is big in WA from year 7/8 onwards. I commented to an Aussie (who's now a mature student) that this approach was good preparation for life ahead, and that my kids were thriving on it, and her comment was (with sarcasm) 'It's all well and good as long as they can read, write and add up first'.

True, but I think it's also important what you do with them at home too. People who leave it ALL to the teachers don't see the results others have by being involved.
The school is Korowal up in the Mountains. Here's the site:
http://www.korowal.nsw.edu.au/

It's not all up to them... I hope they're going to find it a challenge. It will certainly help them think totally differently than they've ever had to before.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:00 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I can imagine though that a "gifted" kid could get bored and lose interest in school if being held back.
'Gifted' or children with a higher learning motivation or capacity often drop out in secondary school if they are not identified and their education tailored to their needs. Schools are trying to do this but it's not always that easy. Also there are cirriculum issues especially in WA with outcomes based education.

As a parent all you can do is try to liase with teachers, school admin etc and if need be take problems to the department. Otherwise you can get an independent assessment of your child and discuss this with their teachers or maybe look at private education. Some kids are 'average range' but learn differently to others or have strengths in particular learning styles and will become frustrated/anxious/ depressed if they can't connect with the teaching methods employed
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwichild
'Gifted' or children with a higher learning motivation or capacity often drop out in secondary school if they are not identified and their education tailored to their needs. Schools are trying to do this but it's not always that easy. Also there are cirriculum issues especially in WA with outcomes based education.

As a parent all you can do is try to liase with teachers, school admin etc and if need be take problems to the department. Otherwise you can get an independent assessment of your child and discuss this with their teachers or maybe look at private education. Some kids are 'average range' but learn differently to others or have strengths in particular learning styles and will become frustrated/anxious/ depressed if they can't connect with the teaching methods employed

This is why I'm anxious. I wouldn't say she's gifted in that whole 'genius' level of things, but she's certainly very bright and a couple of years ahead of her current classmates.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 10:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I'm anxious. I wouldn't say she's gifted in that whole 'genius' level of things, but she's certainly very bright and a couple of years ahead of her current classmates.
We are in Queensland and to be honest, I am happy with the years my girls have gone into, they are now about the eldest in their classes, but we were of the opinion that it was such a big move, a few months of finding stuff relatively easy, would help them settle in better and they are both happy, both impressed that they are not struggling and because the curriculum is so different, they are not top in everything.

Also in primary there is more concern with life skills and in my opinion, the majority of British children I know, are well behind the Australians in this regard.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

Thanks mp ... that's encouraging. This is what I think too ...
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:29 am
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Our twin girls had just started secondary in the UK and done about 5 months when we came to Aus. They have gone back to junior school here and they are loving it...time to adjust and fit in before they move onto high school in Adelaide with all their new friends.( THE WORK IS JUST AS CHALLENGING FOR THEM)

CORKER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.