driving in W.A

Old Mar 9th 2008, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Emma and Pete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving in W.A

Hi all.

Could someone tell me if we need to apply for an international driving licence before we come over, or will our british one's do?? Hopefully moving to Bunbury in april, so just doing last minute stuff!

Thanks, Pete.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

nickUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: driving in W.A

Originally Posted by Emma and Pete
Hi all.

Could someone tell me if we need to apply for an international driving licence before we come over, or will our british one's do?? Hopefully moving to Bunbury in april, so just doing last minute stuff!

Thanks, Pete.

Hi Pete,

If you're just visiting the UK one is fine.

If you're planning on staying, its best to check the DVLA equivalent in Oz - the RTA - website:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

If you're moving across on a PR visa then you have a period of time where you can still use your British one before applying for an Oz one. If you've got a UK licence you wont have to sit a test over here to get the equivalent.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

we switched to an WA licence in the first week. Very easy to do, no theory test or anything. Just eye test and swap details/photo taken.
Think you have 3 months to swap over but as buying a car thought it was easier to get the WA licence.

Hubby still has his UK licence too.

Gems
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

i thought you had to do it in the first 3 weeks???

3 months sounds smiles better
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emma and Pete
Hi all.

Thanks, Pete.
just go to the office in bunbury,show your uk licence,quick eye test,show em yourmoney,bobs your uncle,done.NO hassle at all
Old Mar 9th 2008, 11:43 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

They have a bloody cheek asking for any kind of licence in WA. Their driving is ABYSMAL!
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:13 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Hi
Can you change from a u.k driving licence to Australian one on a temp visa, and what if you come back to the u.k do you just change it back to a u.k one and what about holidays in u.k, can you drive in u,k on a Australian licence, sorry if anyone else has asked this i have had a quick look but couldnt find it

kind regards
michell
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Emma and Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great, thanks for the gen everyone. It doesn't sound as complicated as I thought it would be.

Cheers, Pete.
Old Mar 9th 2008, 12:22 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by michell
Hi
Can you change from a u.k driving licence to Australian one on a temp visa, and what if you come back to the u.k do you just change it back to a u.k one and what about holidays in u.k, can you drive in u,k on a Australian licence, sorry if anyone else has asked this i have had a quick look but couldnt find it

kind regards
michell
You don't surrender your UK licence, you keep it and just get an Aus one too.