Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Theory Test

Driving Theory Test

Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Driving Theory Test

For those of you that don't know, you have to swap your UK driving licence for an ozzie one within 3 months of arriving. I did the test today and passed (91%), had photo taken, paid money and got australian driving licence. The test was on a computer in the local vic roads office, all multiple choice questions - fairly easy. I had a quick read through the rules booklet before. You have to get 75% to pass. Anyway am now a happy bunny as this was the last thing on my list of things to do since arriving here. Good luck to everyone else who will be doing test soon.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Driving Theory Test

Originally Posted by melibeam
The test was on a computer in the local vic roads office, <.....> You have to get 75% to pass.
Congratulations.

That sounds like a good place to get your driving licence. You need a 90% pass mark in QLD.

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_driving.htm

Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:10 am
Just Joined

markr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Congratulations.

That sounds like a good place to get your driving licence. You need a 90% pass mark in QLD.

http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_driving.htm

You need 24/30 or better in WA. Just squeaked it with 29

Mark

Last edited by markr1963; Dec 8th 2004 at 5:11 am. Reason: spolling
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:51 am
ABCDiamond

How about the pass marks for other States ? anybody ?

Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:56 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by melibeam
For those of you that don't know, you have to swap your UK driving licence for an ozzie one within 3 months of arriving. I did the test today and passed (91%), had photo taken, paid money and got australian driving licence. The test was on a computer in the local vic roads office, all multiple choice questions - fairly easy. I had a quick read through the rules booklet before. You have to get 75% to pass. Anyway am now a happy bunny as this was the last thing on my list of things to do since arriving here. Good luck to everyone else who will be doing test soon.

Just to clarify, for QLD at any rate, its three months after you have PR issued & live in Australia. Doesn't always equal 3 months from arrival

Oh, and well done for passing of course!

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 8th 2004 at 6:04 am.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Just to clarify, for QLD at any rate, its three months after you have PR issued & live in Australia. Doesn't always equal 3 months from arrival
Yes, ABCDiamond has some interesting theories on the definition of 3 months . Apparently driving over the state line resets the time to 0 again

Cheers,
JTL
Old Dec 8th 2004, 7:05 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i can't remember exactly what the figures were but in ACT you need to get a set number of questions right for different groups/types of questions. some groups you're allowed 0 wrong answers and some you're allowed 1 or 2.

i took the test on tuesday and failed twice by only getting 1 question wrong out of 35 on both attempts! i wouldn't have minded but the questions i got wrong weren't even in the bluddy roadrules book!

oh well i'm off in for attempt number 3 tomorrow morning. i still have another 10 days before my 3 months are up...

thinking about it, the funny thing is canberra drivers are crap! they may know how to legally drive but most of them should be made to take their tests again!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:15 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know the score if I pass in NSW and move to Queensland?

Plus, is your UK plastic licence the only proof required?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:18 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by diddy

Ta,

Paul.

I was under the impression that once you had your Aussie licence it was good all states round. Someone else may have the official rule on it.

These are the rules for QLD - http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...x/licenceinqld
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:44 am
ABCDiamond

Ta,

Paul.
If you pass in NSW, and move to QLD, you just go to a QLD Motor Registry office, and swap your licence for a QLD one, and will will have the same expiry date as the NSW one did, and it will not cost anything.

My wife did exactly that when we moved up here.

I used my UK paper licence, with passport and credit card (UK one was OK) and a proof of address in QLD (Tenancy agreement, Elec or Tel bill, etc)

Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad I did the test in Victoria, don't think I would have passed in other states. I had to have my UK licence, passport, bankcard and bill showing address. They stamped my UK licence with "Victorian Licence Issued" and date - and gave it back to me. Whilst I was doing the test on the computer terminal, there were other people doing same test on other computers, some people had someone with them, looked like they were helping them, surely thats not allowed! I asked about it (afterwards) and was told that they were relatives or friends just there translating the questions, but what is to stop they giving the person the answer!!!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Yes, ABCDiamond has some interesting theories on the definition of 3 months . Apparently driving over the state line resets the time to 0 again

Cheers,
JTL
Too true, well at least in my mind

Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:45 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Ta,

Paul.
I was asked (in Victoria) to bring along the plastic and the paper (counterpart). They stamped the paper one and punched a hole in the plastic one. For some reason they didn't punch a hole in my wife's plastic one (just forgot I presume).
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:27 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys for the replies.

So where's easier if anywhere?

NSW or Queensland?

Paul.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:46 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scutterUK
i can't remember exactly what the figures were but in ACT you need to get a set number of questions right for different groups/types of questions. some groups you're allowed 0 wrong answers and some you're allowed 1 or 2.

i took the test on tuesday and failed twice by only getting 1 question wrong out of 35 on both attempts! i wouldn't have minded but the questions i got wrong weren't even in the bluddy roadrules book!

oh well i'm off in for attempt number 3 tomorrow morning. i still have another 10 days before my 3 months are up...

thinking about it, the funny thing is canberra drivers are crap! they may know how to legally drive but most of them should be made to take their tests again!
Tell me about it mate. I got 1 question wrong in one of the sections you have to get all right and failed immediately. Had to pay another $20 to take it again - lucky the girly said I could - the message on the screen said I'd have to come back another day - this was at Philip.

BTW - If you dont know you can practice online here ACT Road Ready Test and click on knowledge test.

From what I remember there are 5 sections and 3 of those you must get 100% - but of those 3 sections there are ony 2 questions on alcohol, 3 on intersections and 2 on something else. Still, I was sick when I got one question wrong and that was the end of the test.

Got 100% on the second attempt though.

Good luck!

Big.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.