Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving tests uk or aus

driving tests uk or aus

Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:52 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing about doing learning to drive an automatic, is that it you need to drive a manual for any reason and you haven't had any experience, you could find it tricky and possibly dangerous, especially on hill starts and starting off from traffic lights. As for the "L" and "P" plates, the QLD government has been considering re-introducing them as a NON-option but as with anything to do with government it takes quite a while, as well as limiting new drivers to lower powered vehicles.

Personally I would like to see everyone have to take a written test at least when they renew their licences, to keep everyone current with the current regs. As I am sometimes confused with new rules. If all else fails use commonsense.

PS View "The Driving Instructor" episode of "Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em" before the test as it shows not what to do.

Last edited by The Bloke; Jun 14th 2004 at 5:55 am.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by The Bloke
Personally I would like to see everyone have to take a written test at least when they renew their licences, to keep everyone current with the current regs. As I am sometimes confused with new rules. If all else fails use commonsense.
I hope you never get into government

I was nervous enough doing that theory test last time, I wouldn't fancy doing it very time !!

But it's a good idea for every other driver (just let me be exempted )

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

My elder son (17) has just passed his driving test and it's been quite an experience.

Here in NSW you first take a computer-type test and if you pass are given 'L's. Then you have to crank up 50 hours driving (with a qualified person) in a variety of situations. All this must be logged and signed off.

After 50 hours you take a practical test and if you pass are given red 'P's. Think you have these for a year, then you need to take another computer-type hazard perception test and are given green 'P's which you have to use for another two years. These are not optional in NSW.

My son has an unrestricted licence in that he can drive either a manual or automatic car (he learned in a manual as he believes it's seriously uncool for a 17-year old to be restricted to an automatic). I think that your licence is restricted to automatic cars (if you passed your test in an automatic) for 'x' years, then it reverts to any type of car.

I have no issues with this regime - anything that means the roads are safer for new drivers is fine with me. However my husband (who has a private pilot's licence) reckons that learning to drive nowadays is on a par with learning to fly!
Old Jun 17th 2004, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

letters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pass in Aus and come back to UK

I'm going to live in Aus for a year in Nov and if I don't pass my test before I get there, can I take a test there and drive in the UK on it when I get back without having to take the UK test?

And how would I go about doing that? Anyone in the know?
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:13 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all the info but would i pay a higher insurance on a automatic or manual??
Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: pass in Aus and come back to UK

Originally posted by letters
I'm going to live in Aus for a year in Nov and if I don't pass my test before I get there, can I take a test there and drive in the UK on it when I get back without having to take the UK test?

And how would I go about doing that? Anyone in the know?
Well, my wife took her test in Australia, then when we moved back to UK, she was able to swap her licence for a UK one, with NO test required. Then, when we came back here again, she swapped it back again But I think she had to do the theory test again in OZ

Probably got a form at the Post Office to do it.

Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by kelli28
thanks for all the info but would i pay a higher insurance on a automatic or manual??
I don't think that the premium is any different.

Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default if you want to live in Australia, better to test here

You have to have a full British driving licence for at least 2 years before Australian authorities will exchange it for an Australian licence without taking another test.
You will have to do a written "road rules" theory test in any case, if you hold a British licence, before they exchange it for an Aussie one . . . we don't want people on our roads who don't know all our road rules, do we? . . . but you won't have to take another driving test in a vehicle, driving around the streets with an authorised instructor testing your driving abilities, unless your British licence has been held less than 2 years . . . . meaning . . you'll have to do it all over again with Driving instructors from driving schools by the sounds of it, if you get tested in the UK
Do it here!