Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving tests in Oz

Driving tests in Oz

Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving tests in Oz

Do you have to take a test when you get to Oz if you've been driving for 15 years? In the US you have to surrender your UK driving license (I did very begrudgingly) and have to take the state test, it's nerve racking enough to go through it first time around, made me feel like I was 17 again (not in a good way!)
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving tests in Oz

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Do you have to take a test when you get to Oz if you've been driving for 15 years? In the US you have to surrender your UK driving license (I did very begrudgingly) and have to take the state test, it's nerve racking enough to go through it first time around, made me feel like I was 17 again (not in a good way!)
Here in Queensland we just had to take the theory test to get the Qld licence. We did not have to surrender our UK licences either
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georgiagal
Hi !
We're in NSW - didn't have to take a test - but they punched a hole in our UK drivers license to render it invalid....but u get to keep it. (big deal) the license - not the hole !

Lj x
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:17 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Hi !
We're in NSW - didn't have to take a test - but they punched a hole in our UK drivers license to render it invalid....but u get to keep it. (big deal) the license - not the hole !

Lj x
Same here LJ - within 5 minutes we had a hole in our UK licences and brand spanking new Aussie ones - no test at all!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Same here LJ - within 5 minutes we had a hole in our UK licences and brand spanking new Aussie ones - no test at all!!
wow - you've not bin here long either!
where's richmond?
lj x
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:25 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
wow - you've not bin here long either!
where's richmond?
lj x
Richmond is probably about an hour from the Northern beaches (using the M7!) inland. Not sure which places you'd know around here but we're not far from Penrith or Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens in the Blue mountains!

Which Northern Beach are you at??
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Richmond is probably about an hour from the Northern beaches (using the M7!) inland. Not sure which places you'd know around here but we're not far from Penrith or Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens in the Blue mountains!

Which Northern Beach are you at??
cool!
we are in North Narrabeen, it's beautiful.
gotta go - 3 kids are climbin walls - ive been on here for 3 hours!!
catch up again...lj xxx
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:23 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Which state in Oz are you going as they seem to do it different in each one? In WA I didn't have to do a test and they didn't punch a hole in my UK licence!

Tracey
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:31 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey brien
Which state in Oz are you going as they seem to do it different in each one? In WA I didn't have to do a test and they didn't punch a hole in my UK licence!

Tracey
I am certain that you cannot drive on your UK licence indefinitely (wouldn't do any good for the govt revenue)

Also: At some stage you WILL have to sit a written (theory) test. This is to ensure familiarity with local road rules and conditions.

I'd check up on this if I were you because if you don't obtain a WA licence within the specified time you will find you will have to go through the entire licence process.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:56 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I am certain that you cannot drive on your UK licence indefinitely (wouldn't do any good for the govt revenue)

Also: At some stage you WILL have to sit a written (theory) test. This is to ensure familiarity with local road rules and conditions.

I'd check up on this if I were you because if you don't obtain a WA licence within the specified time you will find you will have to go through the entire licence process.
If you have PR you have 3 months if you have temp 457 you can drive on an international driving licence for 12 months (which is what I did). I then took both Uk and international licences into the centre, had my picture and height taken, paid my money and got a licence for 5 years. They have discontinued the theory test now, I know up to a couple of years ago anyone from overseas had to do it but you don't now. At no time while I was there was it metioned that I need to do the theory test.

Tracey
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

If you have PR you have 3 months if you have temp 457 you can drive on an international driving licence for 12 months (which is what I did). I then took both Uk and international licences into the centre, had my picture and height taken, paid my money and got a licence for 5 years. They have discontinued the theory test now, I know up to a couple of years ago anyone from overseas had to do it but you don't now. At no time while I was there was it metioned that I need to do the theory test.

Tracey

The laws seem a bit vague but on certain visas like the 457 you can drive on your U,K licence for the entire time of your visa (4 years) and if you satisfy the business 457 visa you have 3 months to get your Oz licence after this 4 year period.

It is funny though that the Queensland police and many other people do not know this and assume the 3 month rule to be across the board. It is if you have your pr but because the 457 is classed as a temporary visa until you do the business criteria there is no enforcement or rule to get an Oz licence until you get your visa stamped after the 4 years.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:52 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

They have discontinued the theory test now, I know up to a couple of years ago anyone from overseas had to do it but you don't now. At no time while I was there was it metioned that I need to do the theory test.

Tracey
Thats an interesting development. I guess they figure people will read the local road code and familiarise themelves with local rules of their own accord. Or maybe it's to cut down on $$$ spent in paying staff to deal with it.