Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving test - do I really have to do it again in Oz???

driving test - do I really have to do it again in Oz???

Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about
Default driving test - do I really have to do it again in Oz???

Myself and hubby have UK driving licences. Hoping to be in Oz next year and have heard that we will need to re-take our tests within 3 months. Is this correct? Also hubby has a full motorcycle licence - does the same apply here too?

I'm more worried about doing the test than actually emigrating!!

Thanks

Sally
Old Nov 17th 2004, 9:55 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving test - do I really have to do it again in Oz???

Originally Posted by sallybee
Myself and hubby have UK driving licences. Hoping to be in Oz next year and have heard that we will need to re-take our tests within 3 months. Is this correct? Also hubby has a full motorcycle licence - does the same apply here too?

Thanks

Sally
Yep - afraid to say it is true, dunno about the bike but I would assume he would have to if you have to for car. I'm same as you, it was bad enough passing it here without having to go through it again..... :scared:

Sel x
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:14 pm
rudo1ph

Not sure if it's the same in every state, but in NSW you just have to take the theory test. You book in, sit at the computer and answer 30 or so multiple choice questions. Your hubby would also have to sit the theory test for his bike licence.

It's pretty easy really. You can download all the possible questions of the internet and just learn the answers. Most things are common sense and the same as the UK, but just make sure you know specific distances for some things and drink drive limits.

Don't worry about it - it's not that bad - honest!!

Rudi

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

For most (if not all) states, you only need to do the theory test though, not the whole shebang.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:18 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Sally

varies from state to state e.g. here in VIC he have to learn the rules about Melbourne Trams etc. whereas NSW or WA will not have these particular rules
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:30 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I live in Victoria, so I can give you the rules for Victoria. There may be slight differences in other states.

If you have arrived to become a permanent resident then you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for 3 months. To get an Oz licence you have to do a computer theory test. It is advisable to do this within the 3 months.

If you take longer than 3 months then you still only do the computer test (note that this is Victorian rules - it may be different in other states) but you are not allowed to drive from the 3 months expiry until you do the test.

I had both car and motorcycle licences (20 and 10 years respectively) and I only had to do the one test. If you have had the licence(s) for less than a certain number of years (3 - I think) you may be given a provisional licence.

As for the test itself, it is worth reading the "highway code" as you can get questions which you will not know from your UK experience. For example, I had the following questions:
- For a new driver, the risk of having an accident is reduced by how much after XXX hours of driving?
- At what speed should you pass a tram when instructed to do so by an officer of the company or a policeman?
- How long should you indicate for before pulling away from the curb?

The test itself is multi-choice and I think you have about 40 minutes to answer 32 questions. This was plenty of time and most of the questions are common sense or the same as the UK. You are allowed to get a few wrong but I'm not sure how many. I got 91% and passed.

I don't think you should worry about it; it's not that difficult.
Cheers
Alistair.

Last edited by kirsty&al; Nov 17th 2004 at 10:32 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:33 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

I live in Victoria, so I can give you the rules for Victoria. There may be slight differences in other states.

If you have arrived to become a permanent resident then you are allowed to drive on your UK licence for 3 months. To get an Oz licence you have to do a computer theory test. It is advisable to do this within the 3 months.

If you take longer than 3 months then you still only do the computer test (note that this is Victorian rules - it may be different in other states) but you are not allowed to drive from the 3 months expiry until you do the test.

I had both car and motorcycle licences (20 and 10 years respectively) and I only had to do the one test. If you have had the licence(s) for less than a certain number of years (3 - I think) you may be given a provisional licence.

As for the test itself, it is worth reading the "highway code" as you can get questions which you will not know from your UK experience. For example, I had the following questions:
- For a new driver, the risk of having an accident is reduced by how much after XXX hours of driving?
- At what speed should you pass a tram when instructed to do so by an officer of the company or a policeman?

The test itself is multi-choice and I think you have about 40 minutes to answer 32 questions. This was plenty of time and most of the questions are common sense or the same as the UK. You are allowed to get a few wrong but I'm not sure how many. I got 91% and passed.

Cheers
Alistair.

Do you know what happens if you fail? Are you still allowed to drive on your UK licence and take the test again in XX amount of days/weeks or do you have to stop driving??
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

fattyandgyps is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJJ
Do you know what happens if you fail? Are you still allowed to drive on your UK licence and take the test again in XX amount of days/weeks or do you have to stop driving??
You can study the test on the computer, its multiple choice, any monkey can do, if you cant pass it you really shouldnt be on the road *laugh*
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
In Vic, if you fail the driving test theoretically you have to go on L plates. You will have to do the actual driving test as well as the theory test next time. This then means you have to display P plates when you pass, and be subject to those items in the HIghway Code that apply only to P platers!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
In Vic, if you fail the driving test theoretically you have to go on L plates. You will have to do the actual driving test as well as the theory test next time. This then means you have to display P plates when you pass, and be subject to those items in the HIghway Code that apply only to P platers!
This happens in NSW too, however once you pass the test you do *not* go onto P plates if you have held an overseas licence for three years. Less of an issue now since they give proper recognition to UK licences.

Jeremy
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:35 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NJJ
I'm not a 100% sure but I think that you may be okay if you are still within the 3 months, but don't rely on this advice in court. I'm saying that because they only ask for the UK licence after the test. Best thing to do is ask vicroads.

Either way you can book another test for the next day; although you will have to pay for the extra test.

Cheers
Alistair
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:57 am
PommieLeague

Ive just done my theory test here in WA and passed it easily!!
I had to sit the 30 multiple choice Q's which was the same as the online quiz. I also had to do an eye test then hand over about $80!
So Im just awaiting my new WA license now.

Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:02 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

this should help
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/car-c.pdf
and
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...est/index.html
and
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...uh_english.pdf

soapy
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:05 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hello,

Cheers
Alistair.
Hi Alistair, are you saying that if you pass the theory, then you don't have to do an actual driving test? This bit scares me more than ever, and it would scare you if you saw my driving! 9only put that in cos hubby is peeping over my shoulder!) You should see his driving!! :scared:
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

sallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura aboutsallybee has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your replies.

We'll be living in Perth - if I'd know it was different from state to state I would have mentioned this in my original post - sorry!!

Lathlain, do you have the website address for the online test you did? I would do the one given for NSW but it could be different, I'll have a look anyway to see what kind of things will be asked.

Thanks again,

Sally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.