Driving Test

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Test

Are British driving licences valid in Oz?

Do you need to re-take a test?

Thanks Karen
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

You need to do a theory test within 3 months of arriving, up until then you can use your uk licence.
do a search, someone put a link to the theory test example sheet
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 5:08 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road

Karen
there is a website under NSW.gov which covers the driving test in NSW and the other states, just go on a google search with australian driving test. The theory test you need to take is very easy indeed and there are working tests at the site which you can take for a practice in advance to give you confidence, its common sense really. My dad left the UK 18months ago aged 72 and he passed first time so you will have no worries ( apart from men are better drivers as per the BBC programme)
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

check out this link
driver knowledge questions
:lecture: :lecture:
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

railman2404 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by railman2404
check out this link
driver knowledge questions
:lecture: :lecture:

this link does work sometimes be patient
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I must be very dim as i just failed it this week!!

I kept confusing New Zealand road rules with Oz ones. (i lived there 2yrs before coming to Oz)
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
You need to do a theory test within 3 months of arriving, up until then you can use your uk licence.
do a search, someone put a link to the theory test example sheet
Will I have to take any sort of test for me bike ?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bix,

in WA there are some extra questions covering the bike part apparently. I'm hoping to do mine this week sometime (daughters mumps permitting).

Claire
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by claireg3
Hi Bix,

in WA there are some extra questions covering the bike part apparently. I'm hoping to do mine this week sometime (daughters mumps permitting).

Claire
Claire,
I really got to take a test for me pushbike?
Or do you mean motorbike ?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 1:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving Test

Originally posted by karen p
Are British driving licences valid in Oz?

Do you need to re-take a test?

Thanks Karen

Go to the relevant transport web site for your state (as questions differ, and rules differ)

You need to take a test within 3 months of residing in your state only if you're PR or citizen- Also if you live in say NSW for three months then go to QLD , you have a further 3 months to apply (the 3 month rule is for residing in a certain state, not AU as a whole) . If your on a temp visa and not PR or citizen you need not take a test - your Brit licence is ok.

The test in most states is just a theory, multiple answers - it's very easy - no need to worry about it. But, If you do fail first time (QLD, you'll have to check with other state rules) you can re-take the test 24 hours later.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 4th 2004 at 1:15 am.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

You have to have proof of your cycling proficiency (including a certified copy of your original certificate). there is an advanced 3 day course on the correct way to wear bicycle clips and how to safely load up the basket on the front of your bike.

Hope this helps

claire
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by claireg3
You have to have proof of your cycling proficiency (including a certified copy of your original certificate). there is an advanced 3 day course on the correct way to wear bicycle clips and how to safely load up the basket on the front of your bike.

Hope this helps

claire
Bear in mind the wheels here go anti-clockwise, as opposed to clockwise in the northern hemisphere.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

And I believe in some areas it is preferable to have the seat on upside down.