Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Perth on uk license

Driving in Perth on uk license

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough
Default Driving in Perth on uk license

I will be traveling to Perth on the 24 Jan and plan to purchase a vehicle asap.
What is required of me once I get there with my uk license, can I drive immediately with it or do I have to apply for something there?
Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:54 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving in Perth on uk license

Originally Posted by scrappyhappy8
What is required of me once I get there with my uk license, can I drive immediately with it or do I have to apply for something there?
Thanks
You can drive for up to 3 months on a UK license. After that you can just go into a licensing office and get an Australian license. All you really have to do is pay the money and take a quick eye test (in WA anyway).

HTH
Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by scrappyhappy8
Thanks
Permanent Visa or Visitor Visa ?

On a Visitor visa, you do not need to change to an Australian licence.

On a PR Visa, you need to change to an Australian Licence before the 3 months is up.

Old Jan 4th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

as said above you can drive straight away just be prepared for the cost of cars out here. I was used to spending 500 pounds and picking up older cars in the uk, here i had to pay $6500 as there was nothing decent below that. I was shocked how expensive they are here
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
as said above you can drive straight away just be prepared for the cost of cars out here. I was used to spending 500 pounds and picking up older cars in the uk, here i had to pay $6500 as there was nothing decent below that. I was shocked how expensive they are here
Depreciation hasn't been invented here yet

For some reason cars here do not drop in value as fast as in some other countries.
This benefits buyers of new cars, as they get a better trade in value when they buy another new one later.

And with most new cars being cheaper here, it is well worth while looking at a new car rather than secondhand, if possible.