Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - advice pls

Wikiposts

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - advice pls

Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - advice pls

What's the quickest route and can anyone suggest a good place to stop off about 4 hours from Melbourne ? Mrs Haggis and the wee ones (4 and 6) will be with me so I need somewhere relatively child friendly.

Cheers.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - advice pls

Originally Posted by haggis supper
What's the quickest route and can anyone suggest a good place to stop off about 4 hours from Melbourne ? Mrs Haggis and the wee ones (4 and 6) will be with me so I need somewhere relatively child friendly.

Cheers.
fly mate
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:01 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Dadswell Bridge, just before Horsham you can visit the "GIANT KOALA" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mm
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wintersgills
fly mate
Thanks

No option I'm afraid. Don't mind the driving, kids have their dvd's and we're in no rush.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Craig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really niceCraig&Sam is just really nice

Think its about 450 miles and around 8 hours. I guess if you could find a toilet stop you could drive at night whilst the kiddies were asleep. We looked into it last year, decided to go the coast road instead with a couple of stops. but from what I remember it is just one long highway from Melbourne to Adelaide.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig&Sam
Think its about 450 miles and around 8 hours. I guess if you could find a toilet stop you could drive at night whilst the kiddies were asleep. We looked into it last year, decided to go the coast road instead with a couple of stops. but from what I remember it is just one long highway from Melbourne to Adelaide.
The night driving is not a good idea unless you like the company of BIG trucks ...............mm
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
My advice take a couple of days stop off lots and enjoy the trip along the ocean road, it's beyond words....
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:35 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

did a RACV check and here it is http://maps.racv.com.au/tripPlanSubmit.do
Not too long only the same as driving London to Scotland

PS hasn't come out but can do it again when you log in to site
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
The night driving is not a good idea unless you like the company of BIG trucks ...............mm

Actually thats normallythe traditional thinking, Everytime I've taken off on a long drive. I leave Coburg at about 4am, either up the Hume, The Newell, or the Western. Correct me If I'm wrong but if you leave on a Sunday, you dont seem to get trucks leaving Melbourne at this time.

BTW.... Haggis Super, I've done that trip to Adelaide, more than any other interstate drive. It's pretty easy really, Leaving at 4am, you get to Adelaide around 12.30pm.... If your kids are anything like mine, you dont really hear too much from them for the first 4 hours. I'd rather get to Bordertown, because you've got the most of the trip out of the way by then.

There again I'm a glutton for punishment, as when I head to Q'land, I must get to Moree for my overnite stop..... Thermal spas..... fantastic stuff.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:46 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Stay a few nights at Halls Hap in the Grampian Mountains, about half way, great scenery.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Actually thats normallythe traditional thinking, Everytime I've taken off on a long drive. I leave Coburg at about 4am, either up the Hume, The Newell, or the Western. Correct me If I'm wrong but if you leave on a Sunday, you dont seem to get trucks leaving Melbourne at this time.

BTW.... Haggis Super, I've done that trip to Adelaide, more than any other interstate drive. It's pretty easy really, Leaving at 4am, you get to Adelaide around 12.30pm.... If your kids are anything like mine, you dont really hear too much from them for the first 4 hours. I'd rather get to Bordertown, because you've got the most of the trip out of the way by then.

There again I'm a glutton for punishment, as when I head to Q'land, I must get to Moree for my overnite stop..... Thermal spas..... fantastic stuff.
I guess i know nothing after driving trucks around Australia for the last 25 years , stay to day light hours and All will be happy, OZ i hope you dont tow a caravan ................ mm
Old Jul 30th 2006, 11:55 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers.
Hi,
the best route and quickest is the western highway (M1), it takes 6.5hours (in a Hyundai Getz) theres fuel stops (and toilets & food) every 110km and watch out for speed cameras at Ballarat! Talking from experience, its only a 100kph speed limit, I know, will a hyundai getz go that fast?! yes they will...........just!
Good luck,
Rachel & Paul
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I guess i know nothing after driving trucks around Australia for the last 25 years , stay to day light hours and All will be happy, OZ i hope you dont tow a caravan ................ mm

Nope dont tow a caravan, I just queried whether it was your view that there were less trucks at that time.... most times of the year it's light around 6am. Got to admit I plan to take a tinny next time I head to Qld.

Truck despatching time time seems to be around 10pm to 2.30am here in Vic ?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Nope dont tow a caravan, I just queried whether it was your view that there were less trucks at that time.... most times of the year it's light around 6am. Got to admit I plan to take a tinny next time I head to Qld.

Truck despatching time time seems to be around 10pm to 2.30am here in Vic ?
With the ENFORCEMENT of the new driving laws, most guys i know that do ADL- MBL will leave SUN Arvo drive till dark 6PM -9PM have a sleep at Beaufort then hit the Melb markets at 7 am in the morning.
But its still intense driving on the limit all night , so the less tourists to hold you up the better, i always found the worst times were around the country towns on SAT nights , when the footy clubs shut up. local drunk kids pulling on the highway with out looking .......... mm