Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's grim stats

Australia's grim stats

Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia's grim stats

Hi all ,

Firstly apologies for the this grim post. I'm not trying to scaremonger...but just trying to find out the info behind the following grim stats (and yes I do know that there are a lot of positves to Oz as well!!!!!)

Wolfe Creek was on the other night and at the beginning there was some stat about how many thousand people go missing in Oz every year.

I was wondering whether anyone knows what the truth of this matter is and whether it is worse in Aus that UK ?

also...on an equally grim point the following shows a much higher rate of rape in Oz than the UK:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

any views on this? is it a case of Oz ladies more upfront about reporting these crimes than UK counterparts...or is it a legal issue on what consitutes a rape?

Thanks

TC
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's grim stats

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi all ,

Firstly apologies for the this grim post. I'm not trying to scaremonger...but just trying to find out the info behind the following grim stats (and yes I do know that there are a lot of positves to Oz as well!!!!!)

Wolfe Creek was on the other night and at the beginning there was some stat about how many thousand people go missing in Oz every year.

I was wondering whether anyone knows what the truth of this matter is and whether it is worse in Aus that UK ?

also...on an equally grim point the following shows a much higher rate of rape in Oz than the UK:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cr...pes-per-capita

any views on this? is it a case of Oz ladies more upfront about reporting these crimes than UK counterparts...or is it a legal issue on what consitutes a rape?

Thanks

TC

I know as a matter of objective fact that breaking and entering is much higher in Australia than anywhere else in the West.

However, I wouldn't get too freaked out by Wolfe Creek if I were you. It was a pretty grim film that played a bit fast and loose with its claim to being based on a true story. I read somewhere that over 10,000 people go missing in the UK every year. What scares (particularly Brits, I think) about Australia is that the landscape (in the bush) seems so alien and hostile. You're more likely to go missing at 2.00 am in Hackney than you are in the Australian bush.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tableland
You're more likely to go missing at 2.00 am in Hackney .

Isn't that because you're probably pissed and have forgotten where you live?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:59 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tableland
I know as a matter of objective fact that breaking and entering is much higher in Australia than anywhere else in the West.

However, I wouldn't get too freaked out by Wolfe Creek if I were you. It was a pretty grim film that played a bit fast and loose with its claim to being based on a true story. I read somewhere that over 10,000 people go missing in the UK every year. What scares (particularly Brits, I think) about Australia is that the landscape (in the bush) seems so alien and hostile. You're more likely to go missing at 2.00 am in Hackney than you are in the Australian bush.
Could have something to do with they either don't lock doors or have crap locks.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

I reckon that we deal with about 1000 missing person reports every year in portsmouth alone! Of these I have yet to see one where the person has come to harm. Most are just teenagers not bothering to come home or tell anyone where they are.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:51 am
Just Joined

morrison is a jewel in the roughmorrison is a jewel in the roughmorrison is a jewel in the roughmorrison is a jewel in the roughmorrison is a jewel in the rough

I'm a bit gutted to hear Wolf creek was on TV as Iv just rented it out 3 nights ago. And what a disappointing film it was. I was looking for some serious payback by the end and was left wanting. My wife says its been playing on here mind. I'm still looking for the hard core violence everyone was talking about.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morrison
I'm a bit gutted to hear Wolf creek was on TV as Iv just rented it out 3 nights ago. And what a disappointing film it was. I was looking for some serious payback by the end and was left wanting. My wife says its been playing on here mind. I'm still looking for the hard core violence everyone was talking about.

tell me about it!!!

This is why I posted this thread....to stop the missus from changing her mind about Oz!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morrison

I borrowed Wolf Creek from my brother a few weeks before we packed up for Oz.

I am in oz now and have unpacked the boxes, and low and behold I seem to have taken my brothers DVD with me! I hope he doesn't fancy watching it some night, cos is on the other side of the planet.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:27 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

But the stats surely are bound to be higher as Australia is a MUCH bigger country ?

For starters Sydney and Melbourne are bigger than London.....

I dont' really think you can compare it tbh. It's likw comparing the crime rate of the USA with the Uk when we could prob fit most of the Uk into the state of Florida?

Jenxx
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:28 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I borrowed Wolf Creek from my brother a few weeks before we packed up for Oz.

I am in oz now and have unpacked the boxes, and low and behold I seem to have taken my brothers DVD with me! I hope he doesn't fancy watching it some night, cos is on the other side of the planet.

Lmaooo did you plan that ???? lolllllll
You say thanks for the parting gift brother dearest

Jenxx
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JenJen
But the stats surely are bound to be higher as Australia is a MUCH bigger country ?

For starters Sydney and Melbourne are bigger than London.....

I dont' really think you can compare it tbh. It's likw comparing the crime rate of the USA with the Uk when we could prob fit most of the Uk into the state of Florida?

Jenxx
absolutely no comment !!!!!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been teaching rates per capita at school today - don't think I can face it again tonight...!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I've just been teaching rates per capita at school today - don't think I can face it again tonight...!
I began to type a reply to explain it...and then gave up.

Oh well I'm emmigrating to Columbia as its 4 times smaller than Oz and therefore must have a quarter the murder rate
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:52 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

I began to type a reply to explain it...and then gave up.

Oh well I'm emmigrating to Columbia as its 4 times smaller than Oz and therefore must have a quarter the murder rate
Do you want a lift to the airport?
Old Jul 31st 2006, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

han't u been to the toilet yet?? is it still touching cloth!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.