Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Melbourne

Driving in Melbourne

Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default Driving in Melbourne

Hello

does any one know how soon after arrival we need Aus driving licences and how long we can continue with UK licence.

Do we have to take a test - practical / theory? or can we just get a new licence??

Any ideas where it is cheap to hire from and any good places to buy a car from?

Many thanks

Lis

Last edited by lissysarah; Jan 24th 2007 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:30 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all
Default Re: Driving in Melbourne

Originally Posted by lissysarah
Hello

does any one know how soon after arrival we need Aus driving licences and how long we can continue with UK licence.

Do we have to take a test - practical / theory? or can we just get a new licence??

Many thanks

Lis
I *think* you have 3 months to change your license over. No to tests, you just go to VICRoads and take your passport, UK license and proof of VIC address and pay the fee and you get your license.

Don't know about hiring cars as we borrowed one from SIL, but we looked online for our cars - bought one from CarCity used cars and the other from a Dealer.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:31 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Many thanks

Lis
No test (apart from eye test - which is a chart directly behind the receptionist)

You need to get accomodation sorted - proof of this is usually the tenancy agreement.

Make an appointment with VicRoads (look your nearest one up in the phone book). The appointment is just so you are not in a queue for hours.

You will need to complete a "simple" form and present both your photo and long form of the UK license.

I think the charges are for either a 3 year or 10 year license - we went for the 10 year.

For rental cars? Hope Buzzy posts more detail on his experience as he seemed to have done more research on hire companies - I just went to Avis.
What we did though is our initial stay was in the CBD in a hotel - so we did not need a car initially. We therefore booked a limo via the hotel to pick us up and all the baggage. We then hired a car "locally" which meant we did not have to trapse all the way out to the airport to drop the car off.

What part of melbourne are you intending to settle?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Hello

Many thanks

Lis
I think you can drive for 3 months on your UK one, but we found it best to swap over as soon as you have your permanent address. It is very useful in terms of acceptable ID over here.

Just look up your local VIC Roads office and they will book you an appointment to swap it over, no tests or anything, just money !!!

Cars for sale everywhere - check out special offers in Saturday Herald Sun / The Age and remember that second hand cars are quite expensive and sometimes you can buy new for not much more ! Good time to buy is May as they are all clearing their end of year stock.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

spilsbury is an unknown quantity at this point

REF: No test (apart from eye test - which is a chart directly behind the receptionist)

Do you have to close one eye for this test. The reason I ask is because I had a detached retina in one eye so its not perfect. I wouldnt be able to see letters on a chart from my left eye alone. My right eye is perfect thank god. I hold a full UK lic. and also a South Australia lic. I didnt have to do any tests for the South Australia Lic. We are now moving to Melbourne after job offer.

Any advise would be apreciated.

Cheers
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spilsbury
REF: No test (apart from eye test - which is a chart directly behind the receptionist)

Do you have to close one eye for this test. The reason I ask is because I had a detached retina in one eye so its not perfect. I wouldnt be able to see letters on a chart from my left eye alone. My right eye is perfect thank god. I hold a full UK lic. and also a South Australia lic. I didnt have to do any tests for the South Australia Lic. We are now moving to Melbourne after job offer.

Cheers
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home

Why not contact them?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:57 pm
Newbie!

Spikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to allSpikey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spilsbury

Cheers
We didn't have to do any eye tests to change our licenses (did it in December). I have to wear glasses for driving but wasn't asked about this at all. Maybe it varies between Vic Rd branches - we changed ours at Vic Rds on Burwood Hghwy.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Spikey
We didn't have to do any eye tests to change our licenses (did it in December). I have to wear glasses for driving but wasn't asked about this at all. Maybe it varies between Vic Rd branches - we changed ours at Vic Rds on Burwood Hghwy.
I think you were just lucky and the person concerned wasnt concentrating.

Lucky you