Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving license valid in OZ?

Driving license valid in OZ?

Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:39 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough
Question Driving license valid in OZ?

I'm hopefully moving to OZ if my visa's granted. What's the score with British driving licenses? Do you have to retake a driving test to drive in OZ or will I be able to drive and apply for a Oz driving license without having to retake a test?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:42 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Driving license valid in OZ?

Hi,

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months then you have to do a test depends alot of which state you'll be in?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:45 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

There pretty easy Elksa so don't worry about it.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:46 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by BKate
Hi,

You can drive on your UK licence for 3 months then you have to do a test depends alot of which state you'll be in?
Be moving to Queensland? Do you have driving theory tests and if so will I have to take one if I hold a UK driving license? A bit thivk me, need more than 3 months to pass a theory test!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:51 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just be thankful your not coming to Melbourne then, between Trams & Hook turns its crazy.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 1:59 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Have a look at the link http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...x/licenceinqld

Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Just be thankful your not coming to Melbourne then, between Trams & Hook turns its crazy.
What do you mean Bordy by "hook turns". We are coming to Melbourne hopefully within the next few months.
Is there a practice test on a site for Melbourne or is it the same as the one on www.raa.net. Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:07 pm
The Godfather

Hook turns are only in the city Pheobe, its if you are turning right at a junction but you have to pull into the left to allow the traffic behind you to go straight on. Once the lights change you do your right turn. Again don't worry about it. You will be sitting your test in one of the suburbs I would guess, Not the city.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Pheobe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Hook turns are only in the city Pheobe, its if you are turning right at a junction but you have to pull into the left to allow the traffic behind you to go straight on. Once the lights change you do your right turn. Again don't worry about it. You will be sitting your test in one of the suburbs I would guess, Not the city.
Thanks for that info
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by elksa
Be moving to Queensland? Do you have driving theory tests and if so will I have to take one if I hold a UK driving license? A bit thivk me, need more than 3 months to pass a theory test!!!!!!!!
The theory test is pretty easy in QLD, and if you fail, you can take it again the next day, etc etc.

They go through the wrong answers with you, so that you know them next time

QLD theory isn't in computer, but is a multiple choice of 30 mainly common sense answers

Remember this one - You can drive for "100 metres" in a special purpose lane !!

Don't ask me what a "special purpose lane" is though !!

One that I liked was:
Who has the right of way - Pedestrian in middle of crossing road in front of the car, or the Car ?

Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:55 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by elksa
I'm hopefully moving to OZ if my visa's granted. What's the score with British driving licenses? Do you have to retake a driving test to drive in OZ or will I be able to drive and apply for a Oz driving license without having to retake a test?
please look at this link
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
we are on a 4 year deal. so does this mean i dont need to change ?????