Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving license questions

driving license questions

Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:15 pm
sia
Forum Regular

sia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nice
Default driving license questions

Hello,
After I receive my PR I plan on traveling in Australia & New Zealand for about 8 months before settling in. I intend on buying a car and traveling. The problem is the international license is only valid for 3 months.

Can I continue using my international license until I rent an apartment (even if I wanted to obtain a local license I couldn’t since I won’t have a permanent address).

How do they count the three month period? If I arrive in Australia and the next day leave for New Zealand for three months, is my 3 months period over once I return to Australia?

Thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:39 pm
PR33T

PR33T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: driving license questions

Originally Posted by sia
Hello,
After I receive my PR I plan on traveling in Australia & New Zealand for about 8 months before settling in. I intend on buying a car and traveling. The problem is the international license is only valid for 3 months.

Can I continue using my international license until I rent an apartment (even if I wanted to obtain a local license I couldn’t since I won’t have a permanent address).

How do they count the three month period? If I arrive in Australia and the next day leave for New Zealand for three months, is my 3 months period over once I return to Australia?

Thanks.
Licence holders from some countries do not need a International Driving Lic. You can get your original Licence endorsed at the state licencing authority and drive around for a 3 months or so. for the state of Victoria you can visit one of the vicroads offices and find out. or check this link for more info :
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...1004289AE?open
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:50 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sia
Hello,

Thanks.
As a Visitor to Australia, you can drive on your UK licence for at least 12 months, (most States indefinately),

International Driving Permits (IDP) are not required for UK licence holders. They are required when your normal licence is in a different language, and must accompany your VALID National licence.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:54 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

3 months anyways you can drive. But...
If you are ok not to drive initially then get the learner lic. by giving comp test. and thats valid for 1 yr, in that time you can get your full licence. So the catch is you cannot drive, but with that learner you dont have to have pains of reapplying whole again in Aus...
Good luck.
- Bart
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Question Re: driving license questions

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
3 months anyways you can drive. But...
If you are ok not to drive initially then get the learner lic. by giving comp test. and thats valid for 1 yr, in that time you can get your full licence. So the catch is you cannot drive, but with that learner you dont have to have pains of reapplying whole again in Aus...
Good luck.
- Bart
When we arrived in Oz, I seem to remember that there was a certain amount of time that you should make sure that you got the australian license, otherwise you had to redo all the practical driving tests rather than just do the written Road rules test. We are in Queensland but unsure if that applies in other States. Is anyone else in QLD who remembers being told this??? Cannot remember the time limit we were told - could have been 3 or 6 months???

Sorry not of more help

Sarah
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
When we arrived in Oz, I seem to remember that there was a certain amount of time that you should make sure that you got the australian license, otherwise you had to redo all the practical driving tests rather than just do the written Road rules test. We are in Queensland but unsure if that applies in other States. Is anyone else in QLD who remembers being told this??? Cannot remember the time limit we were told - could have been 3 or 6 months???

Sorry not of more help

Sarah
I arrived in 1986, on PR, and took the QLD theory test in Feb 2003 and failed, then took it again in Feb 2004, and passed, a little bit past the 3 months

I get the feeling they give a bit of leeway

However...... The police don't. They fine you for "driving without a valid licence" after three months. (This is for PR only)

Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:44 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by S J Jackson

Sorry not of more help

Sarah
Actually its 3 months. I got my learners (I already had full license from non other country). So now I have learners which is valid for 1 yr and as I am not keen on driving. I can now take my full license within a year.
You can do the same, I was suggesting that.
plz correct me if I am wrong.
- Bart
Old Dec 7th 2005, 1:51 am
ABCDiamond

Just to clarify.

A FULL UK licence holder is entitled to obtain a FULL Australian driving licence, by either taking a theory test only, (normally about 30 road rule questions) or just showing your UK licence, (depending on which State) and filling in some forms. (With payment of course)

NO practical test is required, and no Learner Licence is required.

Driving Info

Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:32 am
sia
Forum Regular

sia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nicesia is just really nice
Default an additional driving license question

Thank you all for your answers.
The problem is I don't have a license from any of the
"lucky countries" (meaning I have to take all the tests after 3 months).

I guess I will have to rent an apartment for a short period,
get my local license and only then continue with my trip.

Question: After obtaining the local license will I be able to travel to other states without converting my license each time to the license of the state I will be visiting (remember that at this time I won't have permanent address and won't belong to any state) ?