Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving License Query

Driving License Query

Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:32 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Default Driving License Query

hi

i am about to emigrate to melbourne on a 457 visa - sponsered through work.
i am told i can drive in oz for a while on my uk driving license.

i have sold my house so my query is:

my driving license has the address of the house i have sold and therefore will not be my address by the time i move to oz.

therefore i cannot see how it can be a valid driving license if the address details are wrong.

once i move to oz, i will not have a uk address obviously so i am a little concerned that i may be driving on an invalid uk license.

has anyone got any views or advice on this?

thanks in advance.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License Query

Originally Posted by naifyboy
hi

i am about to emigrate to melbourne on a 457 visa - sponsered through work.
i am told i can drive in oz for a while on my uk driving license.

i have sold my house so my query is:

my driving license has the address of the house i have sold and therefore will not be my address by the time i move to oz.

therefore i cannot see how it can be a valid driving license if the address details are wrong.

once i move to oz, i will not have a uk address obviously so i am a little concerned that i may be driving on an invalid uk license.

has anyone got any views or advice on this?

thanks in advance.
It's easier just to swap your licence, they give you the UK one back anyway.

You'll find that a driving licence is a very handy piece of ID to have.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am still driving on my Uk licence and it has my last old address in the UK. Not had any problems with this and it is usually accepted as id here (except when I went to hire a carpert cleaner)
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

I'm in NSW and on a 457 visa. I was told that you can keep your UK licence AND apply for a local one. I think the UK is only valid if it is one of the new style picture ones though. There is a charge for the local one -- about $70 a year I think but look at the RTA web site for more info.... I agree the driving licence would be handy ID tho.... Lots of places (except for RSLs everywhere!!!) dont recognise the British Driving licence as ID
Old Apr 27th 2007, 3:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
I think the UK is only valid if it is one of the new style picture ones though.
Paper ones are also valid but may not be accepted for ID purposes.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Std law throughout most states is your license is good for 90 days. After that it's technically a dead duck for driving purposes.

You just go to your RTA book a theory exam and swot until the test. Pretty straight forward. If you pass you'll get a new license on the spot after shelling out the appropriate (but exorbitant) fee
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzer57
Std law throughout most states is your license is good for 90 days. After that it's technically a dead duck for driving purposes.

You just go to your RTA book a theory exam and swot until the test. Pretty straight forward. If you pass you'll get a new license on the spot after shelling out the appropriate (but exorbitant) fee

They've scrapped the tests now if you hold a driving licence from certain countries, the UK is in that list
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:11 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

that sound even better!!!
do you have a url where that info is confirmed?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by naifyboy
that sound even better!!!
do you have a url where that info is confirmed?
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/y...3.asp#overseas

It's on that page, under the heading recognised countries That's WA, which state are you going to?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:06 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/y...3.asp#overseas

It's on that page, under the heading recognised countries That's WA, which state are you going to?
you can now change straight over in queensland as well
apparently, they had a flood of drivers wanting to change there licences over after arriving from the uk when they made the changes, can't think why
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sparks124
you can now change straight over in queensland as well
apparently, they had a flood of drivers wanting to change there licences over after arriving from the uk when they made the changes, can't think why

Don't know

You can in all the states now I think. Certainly South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland and NSW. I'm 90% sure you can in Victoria, no idea about Tasmania or the Capital Territory.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Do you change your address on your UK licence to your aussie address?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Do you change your address on your UK licence to your aussie address?

We didn't. But then we won't be needing them anyway
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:14 am
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

just a quick question, if you learn to drive in oz and go back to the uk, will they give you a full uk licence like they do here just the other way round?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wendy
We didn't. But then we won't be needing them anyway
There is that

Might try and do it to see what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.