Reload this Page >

Driving License in NSW

Driving License in NSW

Old Aug 24th 2012, 5:47 am
Just Joined

Jezza101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving License in NSW

Hi

I have a strange problem. I have come over on a (309) defacto partner visa with my daughter who is unrelated to my girlfriend.

My daughter is of an age where she can learn to drive. The current NSW rules are that learners need to log 120 hours driving before doing a test, which is fine and seems very sensible.

What isn't so sensible is that I cannot convert my UK license to a NSW one and without this I cannot supervise her driving practice.

Have I missed something? I have been to the RTA (twice) and both times they have told me I can drive on my UK license for 6 months then apply for a NSW license as I am a temporary resident. My visa gives me indefinite leave to remain.

Any advise please?

Jeremy
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License in NSW

Originally Posted by Jezza101
Hi

I have a strange problem. I have come over on a (309) defacto partner visa with my daughter who is unrelated to my girlfriend.

My daughter is of an age where she can learn to drive. The current NSW rules are that learners need to log 120 hours driving before doing a test, which is fine and seems very sensible.

What isn't so sensible is that I cannot convert my UK license to a NSW one and without this I cannot supervise her driving practice.

Have I missed something? I have been to the RTA (twice) and both times they have told me I can drive on my UK license for 6 months then apply for a NSW license as I am a temporary resident. My visa gives me indefinite leave to remain.

Any advise please?

Jeremy
I'm not sure what advice you're after? If you're on a temporary visa (I take it that the 309 is a temporary visa?) then you need to have been in Australia for 6 months before you can get a NSW driving licence.

Your daughter could always have lessons from a driving instructor (where 1 hour counts for 3 in the log book, up to 10 hours (30 logbook hours))or could your daughter be supervised by your girlfriend?

Or you could go and live in Queensland where there isn't the 6 month qualifying period to get an Australian Driving licence <tongue in cheek
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the rules about NSW driving licences and temporary residents, however as a temporary resident you most certainly do not have "indefinite leave to remain". I didn't think Australia used that terminology anyway but that is by the by, you don't have it.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Well it is classed as provisional resident - my daughter is allowed into school, we're allowed to join Medicare, have tax file numbers but I can't have a license.

I think they are trying to tackle the problem of young drivers doing stupid things in over powered cars.

You can only have 10 lessons to count for 30 hours in total and I suppose we will have to ask family and friends to do the sitting in the car.

Jeremy
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I'm not sure what advice you're after? If you're on a temporary visa (I take it that the 309 is a temporary visa?) then you need to have been in Australia for 6 months before you can get a NSW driving licence.

Your daughter could always have lessons from a driving instructor (where 1 hour counts for 3 in the log book, up to 10 hours (30 logbook hours))or could your daughter be supervised by your girlfriend?

Or you could go and live in Queensland where there isn't the 6 month qualifying period to get an Australian Driving licence <tongue in cheek
309 is provisional for 2 years. If the couple are still together at the end of the two years it becomes a PR Spouse Visa
In the meantime it allows the holder to remain in Australia "until a decision is made on the permanent residency"
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:16 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The current NSW rules are that learners need to log 120 hours driving before doing a test, which is fine and seems very sensible...What isn't so sensible is that I cannot convert my UK license to a NSW one and without this I cannot supervise her driving practice.
It's not that wacky, to be fair. It just means that those 120 hours have to be supervised by someone who has an Australian licence, and that people have to be in NSW for six months before they can supervise others learning the rules of the roads.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am fine with it, just reading the RTA website it seems you can turn up with your UK license and swap it - and you can with a permanent visa. Only my visa is provisional.

Driving is a big part of getting about here and my daughter is keen to get started with it to get to her 120 hours for her 17th birthday
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am fine with it, just reading the RTA website it seems you can turn up with your UK license and swap it - and you can with a permanent visa. Only my visa is provisional.

Driving is a big part of getting about here and my daughter is keen to get started with it to get to her 120 hours for her 17th birthday
Yep, it defo says perm residents.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:39 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

You can only have 10 lessons to count for 30 hours in total and I suppose we will have to ask family and friends to do the sitting in the car.

Jeremy
You can have as many hours as you want with a driving instructor - just after 10 actual hours they only count as an hour in the log book.

All our boys are starting off with at least ten hours with a driving instructor before I'll go anywhere near them in the car, then they'll have a few more before their tests.

Do you know all the rule differences between NSW and the UK to feel comfortable teaching your daughter yet anyway?
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

I have done a fair bit of driving here on my many visits before emigrating

I think so long as you stay off the motorways and really heavy roads I will be fine. The differences are the filtering from the right and making sure you're never in the left hand lane as it could a) disappear b) have a parked car in it.

I would think that you can never get used to an over powered V8 stuck to your back bumper!

Seriously though, the local roads where we live are quiet and I do see many driving instructors training round them on what seem to be very early lessons for people
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:36 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Well it is classed as provisional resident - my daughter is allowed into school, we're allowed to join Medicare, have tax file numbers but I can't have a license.

I think they are trying to tackle the problem of young drivers doing stupid things in over powered cars.

Jeremy
I am currently on a 457 Temp Visa, like the 309 children are entitled to attend public school ($4500pa for the privilege in NSW!! Grrr!), Have Reciprocal Medicare and a TFN.

As for a Driving license, you do NOT have to get a NSW driving license after 6 months if you are on a Temp Visa. It is merely an option and even then it is not a full NSW license, it is an annual one. See here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swlicence.html

As a Temp Resident you can drive on your home country driving license for the duration you are here, see here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...aslicence.html.

As I bought a car here I had to register with the RTA so in that case you do need a Driver Reference Number from the RTA.

Oh...final thing...you DO NOT give them your UK license under any circumstances unless you are ordered to do so by the police as a result of a driving offence.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:34 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by paddyo
I am currently on a 457 Temp Visa, like the 309 children are entitled to attend public school ($4500pa for the privilege in NSW!! Grrr!), Have Reciprocal Medicare and a TFN.

As for a Driving license, you do NOT have to get a NSW driving license after 6 months if you are on a Temp Visa. It is merely an option and even then it is not a full NSW license, it is an annual one. See here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swlicence.html

As a Temp Resident you can drive on your home country driving license for the duration you are here, see here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...aslicence.html.

As I bought a car here I had to register with the RTA so in that case you do need a Driver Reference Number from the RTA.

Oh...final thing...you DO NOT give them your UK license under any circumstances unless you are ordered to do so by the police as a result of a driving offence.
Yes... but he wants to teach his daughter to drive, for which (according to the RTA) you need an Australian driving licence.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 11:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Yes... but he wants to teach his daughter to drive, for which (according to the RTA) you need an Australian driving licence.
Yes I understand that fully. I was merely confirming his license options.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done a fair bit of driving here on my many visits before emigrating

I think so long as you stay off the motorways and really heavy roads I will be fine. The differences are the filtering from the right and making sure you're never in the left hand lane as it could a) disappear b) have a parked car in it.

I would think that you can never get used to an over powered V8 stuck to your back bumper!

Seriously though, the local roads where we live are quiet and I do see many driving instructors training round them on what seem to be very early lessons for people
No offence but there are more differences than that. I won't get on my soap box about how I think ALL migrants should do a driving test but I suggest you get hold of the NSW driving rules. As for your daughter, well she can use a driving instructor and also your girlfriend (not sure what the detail about her not being related has to do with it). Presumably your girl friend has friends who may be willing to take your daughter out driving.

Personally the idea of you getting your licence swapped and then teaching your daughter doesn't fill me with confidence but you're in NSW and I'm not so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I for one am glad I didnt have to take a test to learn how NOT to drive! and how to be completely rude and not look where Im going! Just a thought!....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.