Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving License | Eyesight requirements ?

Driving License | Eyesight requirements ?

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default Driving License | Eyesight requirements ?

What is the eyesight requirement for passing the Driving License Test in Victoria? Must it be 20/20 with glasses?

For example, in most states of USA, the requirement is 20/40 vision with glasses. I use reduced glasses giving me 20/30, which is better than 20/40.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:43 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving License | Eyesight requirements ?

Is this any help?
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...nditions.htm#S

Seems to be that if you need glasses/contacts to pass the eyesight test, you have an S condition put on your licence. If you still can't pass the eyesight test, then presumably you're not entitled to a licence. I don't know what the test is in Vic; in NSW it's a optician's chart that's behind the counter.

And presumably if your eyesight gets worse after the test you're supposed to tell them and not drive...
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Is this any help?
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...nditions.htm#S

Seems to be that if you need glasses/contacts to pass the eyesight test, you have an S condition put on your licence. If you still can't pass the eyesight test, then presumably you're not entitled to a licence. I don't know what the test is in Vic; in NSW it's a optician's chart that's behind the counter.

And presumably if your eyesight gets worse after the test you're supposed to tell them and not drive...
Thanks for the link. But my question was how much correction is required with my corrective lenses. Does it have to be 20/20 vision on a Snellen chart using corrective lenses? Or 20/40 would suffice? What kind of eyesight test is carried out to check vision?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know about Victoria but in NSW it isn't 20/20. As lapin said NSW is a chart behind the counter which you have to read the letters on. I'm not 20/20 even with my specs on but could still comfortably read the required level.

I don't think Australian specifies the Snellen level just that you have to pass the eyesight test (never even heard of Snellen before your post). I've never seen (Aus or UK) as 20/x requirement for driving but always a test at the time of receiving the licence.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to get my licence in QLD, asked about the S requirement, they told me that if I had the S put on my licence then I would have to wear my glasses at all time. If i didn't want to wear my glasses all the time then they would give me a licence without the S. It was upto me!!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
I went to get my licence in QLD, asked about the S requirement, they told me that if I had the S put on my licence then I would have to wear my glasses at all time. If i didn't want to wear my glasses all the time then they would give me a licence without the S. It was upto me!!!
I had the same experience! I put S on my application and they didn't check my eyesight they just said I'll always have to wear glasses whilst driving, which I do otherwise people would get hurt
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:56 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

guess who i bumped into at the Opticians today ?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
guess who i bumped into at the Opticians today ?
Elvis?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 2:03 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

everybody.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:46 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I had the same experience! I put S on my application and they didn't check my eyesight they just said I'll always have to wear glasses whilst driving, which I do otherwise people would get hurt
I need correction only on one eye, and substituted specs for lenses long time ago. I wear it only occasionally - it gives only 0.5 correction and does not have to be worn for me to see well, I kinda keep following doctors advice, that 0.5 difference between eyes could lead to loss of depth perception, so I do wear it from time to time. Anyhoo, when I had this eyesight test, the lady behind the counter said that I now have to wear it all the time while driving and I have the S condition in my license as well. I find this a bit ridiculous, because I could read the chart w/o the lens in, but it's just me kind of luck I guess. Was anyone able to remove this condition from license and how is it done?? Doctor's note?