Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving licences

driving licences

Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

madmunky79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving licences

Hi there, madmunky here. Am new to this so I apologise if this question has already been asked but am not too good with these computer thingies. Will I need to retake my driving test when I arrive in Australia. I ask this because I have had my licence for a while and might need to brush up on holding the wheel at ten to two and so on.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licences

Originally Posted by madmunky79
Hi there, madmunky here. Am new to this so I apologise if this question has already been asked but am not too good with these computer thingies. Will I need to retake my driving test when I arrive in Australia. I ask this because I have had my licence for a while and might need to brush up on holding the wheel at ten to two and so on.
No, car and bike licences transfer over fine... You'll need to take a test if you want to use an HGV licence though... Best to check out the relevant website for whichever state you're going to... Here's a couple to look at...

RTA in NSW

VicRoads
Old Aug 4th 2008, 7:23 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Hi, We got our driving licenses last week. You will need your passport, current driving licence, a credit card or such with your name printed on it, also a rate bill giving a residential address in OZ in your name. Failing this take a receipt from where you are staying with the address and your name.

Your licence will be issued with that address which you can then change when you have a permenant address. It took all of 30 minutes to do both of ours.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Hi, We got our driving licenses last week. You will need your passport, current driving licence, a credit card or such with your name printed on it, also a rate bill giving a residential address in OZ in your name. Failing this take a receipt from where you are staying with the address and your name.

Your licence will be issued with that address which you can then change when you have a permenant address. It took all of 30 minutes to do both of ours.

Hope this helps.
Hi,

I remember reading that you must have a full license for 3 years before they will automatically give you an Oz one. Is that correct? I have mine for 5 years but OH has only had his since 2007 and he is a bit worried....can anyone confirm this please Thanks!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

I remember reading that you must have a full license for 3 years before they will automatically give you an Oz one. Is that correct? I have mine for 5 years but OH has only had his since 2007 and he is a bit worried....can anyone confirm this please Thanks!
He might have to have P plates on for a while...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Driver licences in USA do not mention whether you are automatic/manual transmission qualified. I wonder if Australia have that distinction.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:08 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think on the licence application it askes you whether you passed your test on Auto/Manual. Obviously if you passed on Manual you get an Open Licence and can drive either, but if you passed on Auto then you can only have Auto Licence. Im sure if im wrong someone will correct me.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
I think on the licence application it askes you whether you passed your test on Auto/Manual. Obviously if you passed on Manual you get an Open Licence and can drive either, but if you passed on Auto then you can only have Auto Licence. Im sure if im wrong someone will correct me.
Yes, but if that is the way, they have no way of checking. Anyone can say anything. Since 98% of the cars in America are made for lazy, multi tasking yanks who can't drive and eat with one hand and apply makeup with the other while the car drives automatically on cruise control, it's very hard to find a manual transmission. I guess I'm very rusty. I would not want "automatic" on my licence just because I have not touched a manual in a decade.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

madmunky79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the advice. At least that gives me a chance of being able to drive when we arrive. Had licence 10 years. Ta everyone.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheekivimto07
i have a full uk licence and was given in exchange for money at the rta an Oz full licence, choice of 3 -5 years, then you just renew it again after taking an eye test.

my other half has a uk auto licence, has never had a lesson in a manual but was also given a oz full licence to drive manual or auto, when i asked about this they said there was no oz auto licence, once you are off your P Plates you can drive either.

so she can now come back to the UK and drive a manual on her oz licence

James
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:09 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: driving licences

Originally Posted by leave_n_on_a_Jet
they said there was no oz auto licence, once you are off your P Plates you can drive either.
There is such a thing as an automatic licence, though not all states have them.

IIRC Victorian licences distinguish between manual and automatic drivers, though I do not know if this is indicated on the licence card itself.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

What's so hard about shifting gears? Passenger cars are not trucks. You don't have to synchronise before you shift. They have synchronisers. I don't know why people are afraid of manual.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

RussellCat will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: driving licences

does anyone know if it is the same process in each state?
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RussellCat
I have heard that Queensland doesn't have an Auto/Manual distinction on their license, but most in Brisbane are only licensed to "drive" a cart pulled by a small communal goat which is shared between each suburb.

Al
Old Aug 7th 2008, 12:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RussellCat
No its not.
You need to check the requirements for the State to which you are moving.