Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence - QLD

Driving Licence - QLD

Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice
Default Driving Licence - QLD

We have friends also migrating to QLD - They are due to arrive shortly; however the paper section of their UK driving licences was accidently packed in to the shipping container (not due to arrive til November). Can anyone tell me if they can exchange their UK licence for a QLD licence without the paper section - they have the photo card?

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving Licence - QLD

Originally Posted by newlife_downunder
We have friends also migrating to QLD - They are due to arrive shortly; however the paper section of their UK driving licences was accidently packed in to the shipping container (not due to arrive til November). Can anyone tell me if they can exchange their UK licence for a QLD licence without the paper section - they have the photo card?

Thanks
probably not and in theory the picture licence will not be accepted to allow you to drive in Oz as it needs both parts to be valid...Did you organise an international licence before you left?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Originally Posted by Icecube
probably not and in theory the picture licence will not be accepted to allow you to drive in Oz as it needs both parts to be valid...Did you organise an international licence before you left?
We posted as our friends are not on here - so asking on their behalf. But I am not sure what they did..... All I know is that there was a bag of items which were set aside for them to bring with them, and the efficient packers of the removals company packed it in a box.....ooPs
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I got my QLD licence just using my photo card part. Couldn't tell you where the paper bit is!!
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I only had the paper version when I got here, some gobshite had stolen my purse in Barcelona, anyway, they wouldn't accept it, they only wanted the plastic version. When I finally got another plastic one sent via a friend, they had no interest in seeing the paper copy so don't worry about it.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

My husband got his without the paper portion. They could have cared less about that bit. They just wanted the photo card.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Nignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really nice
Cool Re: Driving Licence - QLD

Tell your friends absolutely no problem, exchanging just the ID card part of your driving licence for a QLD driving licence
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Tye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really niceTye68 is just really nice

Thanks
you don't exchange it..you keep UK licence, they just issue a QLD interim straight away until the card comes in the post.
Good Luck
Old Sep 27th 2011, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The plastic part is all you need.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

And tell them to try and get the new style (plastic microchip) Queensland licence. The old style one looke like a video club card from the 80's and they'll get laughed at when they try and use it anywhere outside Oz.

In SA I tried to hire a car with my QLD licence and they told me it was the worst fake they had ever seen.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 3:28 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

I dont have a plastic bit, never had one.... I assume the plastic bit was brought in after I left ('98)?

I've always assumed that my paper UK licence is valid for me to drive on until April 2042 (in UK). Is that still correct - or am I supposed to do something to get a pice of plastic before I jump into my dads/sisters car?

(I'm sure I hired a car not so long ago in the UK with only the paper licence?)

Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Nignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really niceNignoy is just really nice
Cool Re: Driving Licence - QLD

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
And tell them to try and get the new style (plastic microchip) Queensland licence. The old style one looke like a video club card from the 80's and they'll get laughed at when they try and use it anywhere outside Oz.

In SA I tried to hire a car with my QLD licence and they told me it was the worst fake they had ever seen.
well I have a veryold queensland licence, in a 12week period this year ,I hired vehicles in singapore and thailand, UK, Germany, France, switzerland , spain and the canary islands, never had a problem, a plastic microchip doesnt mean a lot in areas where electricity is considered state of the art, a few years back I mislaid my queensland licence , showed my thai licence at police checks in brisbane area many times, now that one could have been a Fake
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

They have 3 months if PR to get a QLD licence so shouldn't be a problem whatever way. Pretty sure I just used the plastic bit of my uk licence as well.

If they are temp residents eg 457 then they have no NEED to get a qld licence. When we got here on a 457 my uk licence saved me some points and a fine as the nice officer couldn't be arsed with a foreign licence.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Is it really 3 months if on PR? I always was told 6 months. If it is 3 months then I better get my bum in gear.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

errr thought so but wouldn't swear to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.