Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licence in Australia

Driving Licence in Australia

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:56 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving Licence in Australia

You know how you hear so many different stories and just wanted to clairfy from those of you already in Adelaide, is it true that even though you have a full british licence you need to apply for an Australian one within 3 months of living in OZ??

When I say apply I have been give to understand this means, a theory, practical and eye test?? :scared:

Having had my driving licence for nearly 20 years and the OH about 26 years now this is slightly daunting!!

Please can you clarify if this is the case!!

Many thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence in Australia

Originally Posted by toon williams
You know how you hear so many different stories and just wanted to clairfy from those of you already in Adelaide, is it true that even though you have a full british licence you need to apply for an Australian one within 3 months of living in OZ??

When I say apply I have been give to understand this means, a theory, practical and eye test?? :scared:

Having had my driving licence for nearly 20 years and the OH about 26 years now this is slightly daunting!!

Please can you clarify if this is the case!!

Many thanks
As of last year (November I think) all you have to do is to swap your existing full UK licence for a brand new SA one (oh - and give them some money too!).
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:55 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Driving Licence in Australia

Originally Posted by marco121068
As of last year (November I think) all you have to do is to swap your existing full UK licence for a brand new SA one (oh - and give them some money too!).

Sooooooooper, one less thing to have to worry about then!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t talk to me about driving licences in Oz.

We are from the Isle of Man and the Queensland authorities do not recognise licences issued from the Isle of Man - this is because we are not part of the United Kingdom – and therefore we would have to sit a full driving test before being issued an Aussie licence. A UK licence holder would simply require a multiple choice theory test and bobs your uncle – a new licence is issued.

However, I had a cunning plan and if anyone asks, especially if they are from the DVLA, I now live in England, and have an English address. I think you know what I’m saying!

There is no way I am going to retake my driving test.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily

We are from the Isle of Man and the Queensland authorities do not recognise licences issued from the Isle of Man - this is because we are not part of the United Kingdom – and therefore we would have to sit a full driving test before being issued an Aussie licence. A UK licence holder would simply require a multiple choice theory test and bobs your uncle – a new licence is issued.

However, I had a cunning plan and if anyone asks, especially if they are from the DVLA, I now live in England, and have an English address. I think you know what I’m saying!

Well you've got to pay the penalty paying so much less tax than we do.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Well you've got to pay the penalty paying so much less tax than we do.
Yea, but whats your old tax rate got to do with Queensland Licensing Authorities?
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yea, but whats your old tax rate got to do with Queensland Licensing Authorities?
What I meant was that by being on the IoM I assume you pay much less tax than we do on mainland UK. Therefore - as a punishment you will have to sit the Oz Driving test.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:16 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

What I meant was that by being on the IoM I assume you pay much less tax than we do on mainland UK. Therefore - as a punishment you will have to sit the Oz Driving test.
Just coming from the Isle of Man is reason enough.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:17 pm

So is/was your IOM driving licence the same to look at etc.. as the UK one, was the only difference the fact it had an IOM address on it?

Rich
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rossifumi
So is/was your IOM driving licence the same to look at etc.. as the UK one, was the only difference the fact it had an IOM address on it?

Rich
Basically yes. It just the fact that the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old tattered UK paper license....do you think this would be acceptable for trading in for an Ozzie license?

Or will they mistake it for toilet paper?

TC
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I have an old tattered UK paper license....do you think this would be acceptable for trading in for an Ozzie license?

TC
Same here mate, used it last year to hire a car over there with no problems and no questions asked.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 4:47 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by touchingcloth

TC

I sure it is about £20 to upgrade to the photocards we have here now!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 5:25 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by toon williams
I sure it is about £20 to upgrade to the photocards we have here now!!
or tell them that you've moved to say mum and dad's/brother/sister and they'll issue one free of charge
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by sparks124
or tell them that you've moved to say mum and dad's/brother/sister and they'll issue one free of charge

Think they just changed the rules on that one, as just had to pay for Boss to get one and he only moved house, if that makes sense!!! If you had a photo card already they wont charge you for change of address, but if it a paperone changing to a photo card then they do!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.