Driving Licence

Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future
Default Driving Licence

I am confused with what I have read on this.
I am going to make a visit to activate my visa andthen return back about 6-12 mths later
I am concerned as some places say that your 3 months with UK licence starts on your 1st visit and others say12
Also if it is 3 and when I come back say 9 mths later how easy and quick can i get a licence

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:13 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Iando
I am going to make a visit to activate my visa andthen return back about 6-12 mths later
I am concerned as some places say that your 3 months with UK licence starts on your 1st visit and others say12
Also if it is 3 and when I come back say 9 mths later how easy and quick can i get a licence

Thanks
The RTA - and any copper that stops you by the side of the road - won't know when you landed in Australia. So - it doesn't matter. My mum drove round on her UK licence for three years.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

We moved here in June 07... Walked into the Queensland Transport office. Provided them with proof of residency, a tax file number, passport, rental address, copy of a utility bill, bank statement, our old UK driving licenses - parted with about 130 dollars and strode out with our Queensland driving licenses thank you very much. No theory test or practical!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

As Rob above says ... in Qld just turn up at any Qld Transport centre with proof of id (UK driving licence / passport etc) and you get a Queensland driving licence ... in turn this is accepted as id for loads of other things ... it's well worth the $67 or whayever it is

Cheers ... David
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

Thanks to all the responses - appreciated
Anyone know if PErth and Victoria are similar to Qld -ty all
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all the responses - appreciated
Anyone know if PErth and Victoria are similar to Qld -ty all

Yes, you just go into the transport office, have your picture taken, pay your fee (sometimes you need an eye test) they then swap your driving licence.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys sorry to Hi-Jack the thread, especially from a newb

We are coming to SYD and BNE for 4 weeks in Feb with the prospect of emigrating from London to BNE, I have been hammering the search but haven't come across the definitive answer yet, although I think I know the answer, question is am I OK on my UK license whilst on holiday ?

Looks like an invaluable site if we do decide to emigrate

Many Thanks

Nixxy
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
The 3 month clock starts ticking when you move to that state/territory.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Ok going to throw this one out there. I have been driving for ten years now on provisional driving licenses (And my father in law is a driving instructor!!). The one time I did apply for my test, I fell ill and had to go into hospital on the day!!! So long story short I have applied for my test but the way things work in Ireland I could be waiting up to 9 months to sit it. My concern is we will be in Australia before I get called for my test. How does it work for provisional license holders?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nixxy
Hi guys sorry to Hi-Jack the thread, especially from a newb

We are coming to SYD and BNE for 4 weeks in Feb with the prospect of emigrating from London to BNE, I have been hammering the search but haven't come across the definitive answer yet, although I think I know the answer, question is am I OK on my UK license whilst on holiday ?

Looks like an invaluable site if we do decide to emigrate

Many Thanks

Nixxy
Yes
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

denkar101 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mairead
Ok going to throw this one out there. I have been driving for ten years now on provisional driving licenses (And my father in law is a driving instructor!!). The one time I did apply for my test, I fell ill and had to go into hospital on the day!!! So long story short I have applied for my test but the way things work in Ireland I could be waiting up to 9 months to sit it. My concern is we will be in Australia before I get called for my test. How does it work for provisional license holders?
I think most Australian States/Territories would require you to sit the full test.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mairead
...you would need to do the theory and practical.... Your would not be recognised to hold a license. So you would have to get a provisional from the stae you are in. You would then need to do the following... This is a rough guide but near as dammit. You have to clock up around 100 hours on P plates alongside an experienced driver before putting in for your test. (Number of hours is age dependent). Then once you have passed your theory and practical. (Theory is hard but the practical is easy peezy - your then on P plates for a while. (My daughter is going through all this at the mo) I don't know how old you are? Its all age dependent. Shes 16. (You can drive here in Qld younger than the UK). Hope it helps?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Better call them tomorrow and try and speed up the process so!! Couldn't imagine not been able to drive.