Driving Licence

Old May 13th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

magic8ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence

I wanted to clarify whether you need to re-take your driving licence when you emmigrate to Australia.

Does it matter if you are on a perm/temp vise and if you already have a full UK licence?

Thanks
Old May 13th 2007, 8:46 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by magic8ball
I wanted to clarify whether you need to re-take your driving licence when you emmigrate to Australia.

Does it matter if you are on a perm/temp vise and if you already have a full UK licence?

Thanks

Apparently not anymore.
I guess they gave up after realising that 99% of drivers don't know or abuse the road rules anyway.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:47 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magic8ball

Thanks
Hey

If you have a full UK licence then you are entitled to drive on that licence for 3 months (i think) here in Oz. Then you have to take a theory test to upgrade to a full aussie licence (Easy)
Old May 13th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

Last post may not be entirley correct, In Queensland if you hold a full UK license you smply go along to the department of transport local office and fill in a form , pay your money and walk out with a nice new license for that state. No theiory test.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I think its the same in Perth my daughter in law has just got hers and no theory test.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

cra1gm is an unknown quantity at this point

yep just turn up and fill out for pay your $65 for a 5 year license - in queensland, no test anymore - not like the british are worse drivers than the ozzies mind!
Old May 14th 2007, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Gothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant futureGothchick has a brilliant future

hi

just got my nice new licence here in sydney,
just go along to the nearest RTA (road traffic authority) link is: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/,
if you have had your uk licence for more than (I think its 5 years), then take ID and proof of residency with you, pay the money $137 for 5 years, they do it there and then. You can only drive a car, mpv up to 12 seats though, anything else will require a test.
Old May 14th 2007, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Same in SA. Turn up with proof of ID, address and your UK licence, fill in the form and hand over your money.

If you're unlucky like me and get a jobsworth you may have to get a certificate from an optician confirming your contacts / glasses are OK.
Old May 14th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

demigrate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marco121068
Same in SA. Turn up with proof of ID, address and your UK licence, fill in the form and hand over your money.

If you're unlucky like me and get a jobsworth you may have to get a certificate from an optician confirming your contacts / glasses are OK.
Hi,

Do you know if you need to take both parts of your UK license in as my paper part is currently on route in the container (not very clever I know). Also does anybody know what happens if you do not hold a license from the UK as my wife is German and holds a German driving license. Can she also swap her license easily? We are heading to Brisbane tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea if I will be able to hire the car without the paper license or whether my wife (who has never driven on the left and does not have a paper license as not used in Germany) will have to drive the hire car.

Thanks

Darren
Old May 14th 2007, 12:14 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by demigrate
Hi,

Do you know if you need to take both parts of your UK license in as my paper part is currently on route in the container (not very clever I know). Also does anybody know what happens if you do not hold a license from the UK as my wife is German and holds a German driving license. Can she also swap her license easily? We are heading to Brisbane tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea if I will be able to hire the car without the paper license or whether my wife (who has never driven on the left and does not have a paper license as not used in Germany) will have to drive the hire car.

Thanks

Darren
Your wife would have been better applying for an international license before you left, but obviously its to late now. It just makes things easier. You might have to get the license translated before you can exchange for an oz license.
Germany falls under the category of accepted countries where the licenses are equivalent to an Oz license.

You cannot hire a car without showing your license, and you cannot drive it either. If something happens, you could be held liable for the costs.

Looks like the wife will be learning to drive on the left as from Thursday