Driving Lessons

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

LissyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Lessons

Hi

Am hoping to move soon to Perth. I have 3 teenagers - does anyone know at what age they can learn to drive?

Also, I believe that us adults also have to take a test within 3 months - what does this involve? Is it theory & practical as in the UK. Never thought I'd have to read the dreaded highway code again!

:scared:
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driving Lessons

Originally posted by LissyP
Hi

Am hoping to move soon to Perth. I have 3 teenagers - does anyone know at what age they can learn to drive?

Also, I believe that us adults also have to take a test within 3 months - what does this involve? Is it theory & practical as in the UK. Never thought I'd have to read the dreaded highway code again!

would love to know the answer to this for south australia also...sorry i cant help with your question. anoher thing i'd ike to know is i can drive but my husband hasnt passed his test yet (unlucky as drives really well)..when can i 'supervise' his driving?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:43 pm
owieb

Hi

You can learn to drive at the age of 16, but they have a new scheme of 'L' and 'P' plates that they have to go through before they get a full license.

Checkout http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/index.html it will also tell you about transfering your UK license to a WA one. You only have to do a theory test which is fairly easy and you do only have 3 months to get it transferred if you are here on a PR visa, otherwise if you are on a temp visa you have 12 months.

One thing I found was that before i left the UK I had to get a new license as my paper one had fallen apart. When it came back it had some additional classes on it, which I think you just get from x number of years driving(?). When I took this into the licensing place in Perth I actually got a different license from my girlfriend. She got a blue one which allows just the driving of cars, whereas I got a brown one which allows me to drive vehicles upto 8 tonnes even though we've both been driving for a similar number of years.

Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
You can learn to drive at the age of 16, but they have a new scheme of 'L' and 'P' plates that they have to go through before they get a full license.

Checkout http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/index.html it will also tell you about transfering your UK license to a WA one. You only have to do a theory test which is fairly easy and you do only have 3 months to get it transferred if you are here on a PR visa, otherwise if you are on a temp visa you have 12 months.

One thing I found was that before i left the UK I had to get a new license as my paper one had fallen apart. When it came back it had some additional classes on it, which I think you just get from x number of years driving(?). When I took this into the licensing place in Perth I actually got a different license from my girlfriend. She got a blue one which allows just the driving of cars, whereas I got a brown one which allows me to drive vehicles upto 8 tonnes even though we've both been driving for a similar number of years.

In NSW if you have had your license less than 3 years you get P plates. If more than 3 years you take a computer based knowledge test and then you can get a 1 or 3 year license. Bastards do not give a license until 65. When you have held a license for 5 years continuously you can then get a gold 5 year license.

Check out www.rta.nsw.gov.au for details.

For Ps you get one type for a year when you can take the Hazard Prevention Test. Then You get another set for 2 years followed by another computer based test.

Mrs BP has only got Ls and I am dreading giving her lessons. She is a bit unco and any driving instructor will deserve every cent he gets. I need to find a huge empty car park somewhere.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:58 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi owieb,m
if you have a liscence from some time ago, you got moped, trailers and 7.5 tonne vehicle on it, can't remember the groups, whereas the test they take nowadays limits what they can drive.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:01 pm
owieb

Originally posted by markeh
Hi owieb,m
if you have a liscence from some time ago, you got moped, trailers and 7.5 tonne vehicle on it, can't remember the groups, whereas the test they take nowadays limits what they can drive.

Bye
Markeh
Cool Markeh, that might explain it. Obviously showing my age

Old Oct 15th 2003, 12:42 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Hi Lissy

This should tell you all you need to know. I believe that the start age is 17 here. You will only need to take a theory test in WA.
If you go to the driving skills section you can take a practice theory test. Took mine a couple of weeks ago and its easier than the UK one - a lot of questions about right of way involving multiple cars which need thinking about though!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/