Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Australia

Driving in Australia

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:42 pm
Banned

Altavista is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Australia

I have heard that there is a toughest driving law in Australia then any other country and sometimes driving few miles away becomes difficult.

Also, getting driving liscence is a nightmare and may be like getting Masters degress.

If that is the case then how people could possibly get the liscence and drive.

Last edited by Altavista; Mar 22nd 2009 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving in Australia

You have to prove 4 continuous years of post graduate driving before gaining your real Aussie Driving License, but there are Driving Examiner checkpoints about every 15km on the main roads where they will randomly pull you over (like a breath test) and they will ask you 10 questions from the lastest Aus Mensa Test.

You have to get at least 8 of the right (with no passes) before you are allowed on your way.

I am luck as I have an IQ of 176, this means i can carry an "Exemption Certificate" along with my driving licence - i dont have to do the tests, thank god!

If you fail the test, you have to drive back to where you came from and revise the questions you got wrong. Then submit a resit form online. If you pass a second time you can continue your journey.

My girlfriend failed a test on the way to the take away the other week! We nearly starved!

You are right - it is a wonder ANYONE can drive in Australia. It really is very hard, or at least judging by the standard of driing in Australia it is made to look avery hard.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
You have to prove 4 continuous years of post graduate driving before gaining your real Aussie Driving License, but there are Driving Examiner checkpoints about every 15km on the main roads where they will randomly pull you over (like a breath test) and they will ask you 10 questions from the lastest Aus Mensa Test.

You have to get at least 8 of the right (with no passes) before you are allowed on your way.

I am luck as I have an IQ of 176, this means i can carry an "Exemption Certificate" along with my driving licence - i dont have to do the tests, thank god!

If you fail the test, you have to drive back to where you came from and revise the questions you got wrong. Then submit a resit form online. If you pass a second time you can continue your journey.

My girlfriend failed a test on the way to the take away the other week! We nearly starved!

You are right - it is a wonder ANYONE can drive in Australia. It really is very hard, or at least judging by the standard of driing in Australia it is made to look avery hard.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure you park facing the right direction. Do not chuck anything out of the car, don't put your arm out of the car.

Here in Melbourne other drivers report you if they see you chuck things out of the car
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
Here in Melbourne other drivers report you if they see you chuck things out of the car
Fair enough too, that's a disgusting habit.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Petals
Just make sure you park facing the right direction. Do not chuck anything out of the car, don't put your arm out of the car.

Can't argue with them doing that.

Here in Perth it's like EVERY road is the M25.

Load of fruitcakes, never seen anything like it, makes driving at 100km/h bearable though.

Oh, and if you do come here, DON"T EVER drive after 1pm on a Friday, most of the tradies are pissed.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Altavista
I have heard that there is a toughest driving law in Australia then any other country and sometimes driving few miles away becomes difficult.

Also, getting driving liscence is a nightmare and may be like getting Masters degress.

Judging by the standard of driving in australia i would think very few have a driving licence.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you are allowed to overtake on the inside here, quite scary if you are not expecting it. I'm a cowardly driver, I slow down and pull over a lot to avoid troublesome motorists, don't want to be the subject of road rage so I let them go and be in front where I can keep and eye on them.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Altavista

To give you a more serious answer than the ones above, not sure where you have heard driving is difficult here. It is the same as england but far easyer, especially in perth where the roads are large and straight. The only thing I have noticed is perth drivers dont seem to know how to merge onto the motorway but other than that its fine. Same as the uk.

As for getting your licence if you have a UK one you just go to the office, show that and they give you and australian licence, simple.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dave99
To give you a more serious answer than the ones above, not sure where you have heard driving is difficult here. It is the same as england but far easyer, especially in perth where the roads are large and straight. The only thing I have noticed is perth drivers dont seem to know how to merge onto the motorway but other than that its fine. Same as the uk.

As for getting your licence if you have a UK one you just go to the office, show that and they give you and australian licence, simple.
You forgot to mention they don't understand roundabouts either.........or is that just in Canberra?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Almost everyone in Australia gets a license as soon as they are 17 or 18 depending on the state... I got my first license in Oz and it's pretty easy - don't know what the hoolabalah is about!

As for tough laws - if by that you mean the police actually enforce the laws (unlike over here!!) then yes, you may find it hard to get anywhere...

Just don't speed, drink, go through red lights etc etc - you'll be fine!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:58 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

QLD is worse than some of the third world countries I have visited for driving. Once people get their license here the rules just get forgotten or get chucked out of the car windows (which probably what some of the above Victorians are referring to).
- No one gives way, ever! You are forced push your way into a lane.
- Most drivers on the highway or in multi lane dual carriageways just sit in the right hand lane regardless of whether they are overtaking someone or not (it's called an overtaking lane not "the fast lane").
- Qlders become absolute psychos when they are in their car and yet will be as nice as anything outside of one.
- Roadrage is like nothing I've ever experienced back in England.
- It's pretty much everyday that I witness a driver in front of me crossing 3 lanes on a highway in one swift manouevre.
- Many drivers seem to also want to be able to be close enough to driver in front's bumper so they can smell their aftershave.
- Running red lights is almost like a game of dare

I've driven a lot in other states (not WA) and I can safely say that QLD is by a mile the worst I have ever seen anywhere
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:37 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

I love the driving in Queensland, its a breeze - but then I have come via Auckland, NZ!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

autorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to allautorock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
QLD is worse than some of the third world countries I have visited for driving. Once people get their license here the rules just get forgotten or get chucked out of the car windows (which probably what some of the above Victorians are referring to).
- No one gives way, ever! You are forced push your way into a lane.
- Most drivers on the highway or in multi lane dual carriageways just sit in the right hand lane regardless of whether they are overtaking someone or not (it's called an overtaking lane not "the fast lane").
- Qlders become absolute psychos when they are in their car and yet will be as nice as anything outside of one.
- Roadrage is like nothing I've ever experienced back in England.
- It's pretty much everyday that I witness a driver in front of me crossing 3 lanes on a highway in one swift manouevre.
- Many drivers seem to also want to be able to be close enough to driver in front's bumper so they can smell their aftershave.
- Running red lights is almost like a game of dare

I've driven a lot in other states (not WA) and I can safely say that QLD is by a mile the worst I have ever seen anywhere
Sadly, I have to agree with that one!!! Qld has the highest font-rear collision incidence in the country!

Just look at how many skid marks there are on the M1 on the Goldy - scary! Try making a skid sound every time you see one - very funny!!

Vic are best drivers but are merciless (don't pull out unless you are going to floor it!!!)

Only comment I have to question is the right lane one as you can overtake legally on the left in Oz so you're allowing your UK rulebook to taint your view of this one....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.