Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving from Adelaide to Brisbane

Driving from Adelaide to Brisbane

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of
Default Driving from Adelaide to Brisbane

Hi,

Has anyone driven from Adelaide to Brisbane? Just wondering what it was like as we have two daughters age 6 and 10. How easy did you find it?

We are thinking of going at the beginning of March and I know this sounds stupid but has anyone else done an interstate drive during bush fire season or would they avoid it?

Thanks very much for your replies
Marie
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 3:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Driving from Adelaide to Brisbane

Originally Posted by fluffy1
Hi,

Has anyone driven from Adelaide to Brisbane? Just wondering what it was like as we have two daughters age 6 and 10. How easy did you find it?

We are thinking of going at the beginning of March and I know this sounds stupid but has anyone else done an interstate drive during bush fire season or would they avoid it?

Marie
We have done Sydney - Brisbane quite a few times over the last few years with a daughter between 6 and 8 at the times.

I wouldn't have fancied any further, and as it was we normally drove overnight so she slept at least 50% of the 10/11 hour trip.

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We have done Sydney - Brisbane quite a few times over the last few years with a daughter between 6 and 8 at the times.

I wouldn't have fancied any further, and as it was we normally drove overnight so she slept at least 50% of the 10/11 hour trip.
HI

My husbands cousin and their 2 kids - 3 and 7 drove from Melbourne to Sunshine Coast last January. They spread the driving over 2 full days and said it was not too bad - the kids were better than they thought that they were going to be!! However they did say that next time they would just fly up - which they did last month. Flights took a couple of hours!!
Must admit the flights are pretty cheap - around a $100 each way from Melbourne but I suppose with the kids flight costs would soon mount up!!
We recently flew up to Mackay - we were going to drive but when we found $50 flights decided that was the way to go. When the flight sales are on - its pretty cheap.
If you are determined to drive - buy lots of stuff for the kids to do and maybe get one of those portable DVD players or take a lap top for "in flight entertainment" !!
All the best - have a safe trip
Sarah
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi,

Thanks for you replies.

We would love to fly but we will be relocating :scared: therefore it is cheaper to drive than to ship the car.

It is also cheaper to drive with it being only 1 way than to fly. We are planning on stopping at Sydney for 2 nights and will probably break the drive to Sydney up with a night stopover at a motel too.

Will definately get portable DVD players though and they have their gameboys and DS's so they should be pretty well occupied. Failing that there is always the roof rack !!! (only joking)

Thanks
Marie
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Alternatively you could get your hubby to drive up and you and the kids get flights!! More space in the car for your stuff!!!!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the trip about 3 times by car now, From Melbourne to The Gold coast, and also once to the Sunshine Coast. Not too sure where you would join the Newell Highway from Adelaide. Pretty sure Mr Mover would tell you.

I normally would leave around 3.30 am through to 4am at the latest. and try and get to Moree at around 6pm if not before, at the Northern tip of NSW, thats about 15 hours from Melbourne. The roads are long straight and very very fast !!! The reason being they have the best natural spa centre in Aussie at Moree, . with thermal springs for easing those cramped and aching bones. Plus it's not too expensive.

Another factor in getting to Moree, is the next day trip is only about 6-7 hours, with the roads being a lot more twisty and turny and hilly, so you need to be fresh when you hit the part North of Moree.

I had one hell of a trip on the way back last time, I had my wife reading the map, she actually just read her book, and by the time I realised I was heading down the Pacific Highway instead of heading towards the Newell, It was going to add about 3 hours to the trip to turn back. In hindsite I should have turned back, as I ended up only as far as Tamworth, which is one hell of a tricky drive from the gold coast, Pretty but bloody dodgy. Got to say that Gwdir highway, is possibly the prettiest inland road I've ever seen.

Drove back from Tamworth to Melbourne in one go, and was Knackered after two full days of driving
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 6:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Alternatively you could get your hubby to drive up and you and the kids get flights!! More space in the car for your stuff!!!!!!!
Don't be daft. Hubby drives the car up with the kids and you fly on your own
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't be daft. Hubby drives the car up with the kids and you fly on your own

Ohhh Hitchhikers
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

jlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nicejlkk is just really nice

Hi,

Marie

Hello Marie,

I can not believe you are leaving Adeliade, Its the most amazing place!!!! NOT!! Queensland will be better off with you lot there. Happy driving matey!

JLKK
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Marie
A while since I lived in A/laide but if my memory is correct head towards Elizabeth/Gawler and then up the riverland to Mildura,across the hay plains to Hay and then via the blue mountains (beautiful) down into Sydney.Last time I did it was around 97 I think,it cost more to park the car in the centre of Sydney than it did for a room .Parked the car in an u/ground car park near Hyde Park so handy for Darling harbour/opera house,Rocks etc.Take the ferry across the harbour to the zoo,good zoo and great views of the harbour.Find your way out of Sydney and off to Brisbane,roads have probably changed since I did that one.From memory around 15 hrs a/laide -Sydney with a 4 hr kip in the car .Left A/laide around 3or 4 in the afternoon and got to Sydney around 8-9 am next morning.Good Luck.No children in the car but 2 geordies on holiday that thought everything was a reasonable driving distance,just as bad.Wanted me to drive from A/laide to Cairns to scuba dive on the barrier reef,did that one by air.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Marie
Adelaide Mildura (toothpicks to eyelids) Wagga Dubbo Goondie Brisvegas. Bushfires can be a risk at any of the warmer months, take a road map.

If time/money wasnt a problem, I'd go Mt Gambier Great Ocean Road Ballarat (Souverign Hill for children - reward) Canberra (National Museum of Australia and Questacon children) Batemans Bay Sydney Pacific Highway Brisvegas. Gives you a chance to reccie for further trips.

Have fun

WW
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Adelaide Mildura (toothpicks to eyelids) Wagga Dubbo Goondie Brisvegas. Bushfires can be a risk at any of the warmer months, take a road map.

If time/money wasnt a problem, I'd go Mt Gambier Great Ocean Road Ballarat (Souverign Hill for children - reward) Canberra (National Museum of Australia and Questacon children) Batemans Bay Sydney Pacific Highway Brisvegas. Gives you a chance to reccie for further trips.

Have fun

WW
Thats it Mildura to Dubbo is the Key....

My 5th gen BiL, Manages a station out the back of Goondie called lapanuyah, Cessna's, para gliders, helicopters, Guns, wild pigs, cotton, and miles and miles of Wheat
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide/Sydney/Brisbane is not the same as Adelaide/Brisbane, Adelaide/Brisbane direct via Broken Hill is around 22hrs driving time, Adelaide/Sydney is around 18hrs then 12hr Sydney/Brisbane, so alot longer. From Sydney to Brisbane you can take either the Pacific or New England Highway - both have their good points, depends on what you want to see.

I've done all of those trips literally hundreds of times, personally if you just want to get here I'd do direct via Broken Hill, especially if the kids are likely to complain about spending 3/4/5 days in the car :scared: , you can do Adelaide/Brisbane in 2 days, stop overnight in Broken Hill which will give the kids a taste of the outback & how the other half live . The scenery out there is fantastic, but if you want to break it up with a holiday then Sydney would be OK. March will still be hot either way, once you get to Sydney it would be cooler if you went that way.

Just remember to make sure that you have plenty of water, make sure the car is checked before you go, fuel where you can etc - although all the roads out there are fairly well travelled ones, it's still an awfully long way between any signs of life!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Adelaide/Sydney/Brisbane is not the same as Adelaide/Brisbane, Adelaide/Brisbane direct via Broken Hill is around 22hrs driving time, Adelaide/Sydney is around 18hrs then 12hr Sydney/Brisbane, so alot longer. From Sydney to Brisbane you can take either the Pacific or New England Highway - both have their good points, depends on what you want to see.

I've done all of those trips literally hundreds of times, personally if you just want to get here I'd do direct via Broken Hill, especially if the kids are likely to complain about spending 3/4/5 days in the car :scared: , you can do Adelaide/Brisbane in 2 days, stop overnight in Broken Hill which will give the kids a taste of the outback & how the other half live . The scenery out there is fantastic, but if you want to break it up with a holiday then Sydney would be OK. March will still be hot either way, once you get to Sydney it would be cooler if you went that way.

Just remember to make sure that you have plenty of water, make sure the car is checked before you go, fuel where you can etc - although all the roads out there are fairly well travelled ones, it's still an awfully long way between any signs of life!

You are probably used to driving around the Brisbane area, I found it very tasking, with the hills etc, north of Warwick, If you hit that area when your very tired, it isnt easy. (especially if it's the gold coast you are heading too)

Whereas before that, especially once your on the Newell, with those long long long Straight roads, its very easy driving, boring but fast and easy.

The best part about that is coming up behind a say 3 b doubles in a row, and being able to floor it, and getting from 100, up to 170 by the time you've over taken them, pretty hard to get speed camered in those cirumstances. Plus its very easy overtaking on the Newell.

I assume the best way into Brissie, is through Warwick ?

I could well be doing that trip myself In October.... Trouble is I have to come up in March 2007, I've got about 10 relations descending on my New to Queensland Cousin.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 4th 2006 at 12:58 am.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

Agree with a lot Mrs Dagboy says, we went from Adelaide to Gold Coast via the Barrier Hwy and Newell Hwy late Nov 05 and it was a long, hot 3 day trip, with 3 kids. We kept driving solid for 3 days really enjoyed a quick visit to Broken Hill, stayed overnight at Nyngan and another overnight in Warwick, it was a long drive and long distances between places, but great to get to QLD, and the cheapest way to go so worth it.
As Mrs Dagboy says take games for the kids and drinks and food, don't get low on petrol late at night,as some places on the Barrier hwy are 200km apart!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.