Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving on a 457 visa

Driving on a 457 visa

Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about
Default Driving on a 457 visa

Hi everyone, I just wanted to clarify that if we are on a 457 visa we can still use our uk driving licence and we dont have to take the theory test for a queensland licence?Any advice would be gratefully welcome.
Nic
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:05 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving on a 457 visa

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
Hi everyone, I just wanted to clarify that if we are on a 457 visa we can still use our uk driving licence and we dont have to take the theory test for a queensland licence?Any advice would be gratefully welcome.
Nic
Nic
You are 100% correct.
On a 457 in QLD, you can remain on your UK licence until you leave or get PR. If you get PR, you have 3 months to take a written test.

Andrew
Old Dec 20th 2005, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by andrew63
Nic
You are 100% correct.
On a 457 in QLD, you can remain on your UK licence until you leave or get PR. If you get PR, you have 3 months to take a written test.

Andrew

thanks for that andrew.
nic
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
thanks for that andrew.
nic
Correct but having a QLD licence is very useful.
Lots of things you do will require ID and a driving licence is one of the main items.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

owleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud ofowleywoodcat has much to be proud of

I'm in QLD on a 457 visa and got my QLD licence - Didn't realise I didn't have to - however I found it very useful to read the highway code booklet. There are a few things they do differently here and it's worth knowing. You only have to do the multiple choice test which was pretty straightforward if you have read the booklet. Can't rmember how much it cost but it wasn't too much.

Having a license is very useful for ID - e.g you need ID to post parcels abroad.

Cheers,
Cat
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I forget the exact amount too but something like 16-17 dollars for the theory test.

Licence about 60 bucks for 5 years.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:43 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

they 457s are bollox, its better to drive a car
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by soapy
they 457s are bollox, its better to drive a car

You underrate the value of the sponsorship.

Without sponsorship where would you and I be ?

And I can here the BBC commentary now......here comes Michael in his little red car.