Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driveing licence in oz....

driveing licence in oz....

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all
Default driveing licence in oz....

Am i right in thinking that although i have a uk full driveing license for the last 7 years with no claims etc

that i have to take an australian driveing test ie full test within 3 months of arriveing???

if so how much does it cost and is it any easier or harder than uk test???
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driveing licence in oz....

Originally Posted by gerry
Am i right in thinking that although i have a uk full driveing license for the last 7 years with no claims etc

that i have to take an australian driveing test ie full test within 3 months of arriveing???

What state/territory are you going to?
And what will be your visa status?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to allgerry is a name known to all

permanent skilled visas.

thim we are going eaton way now or aorund that way warnbro or ballajura opne of the 3 anyway presume they are all wa

tbh not clued up on areas just going off what other people say are good/bad
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

permanent skilled visas.

thim we are going eaton way now or aorund that way warnbro or ballajura opne of the 3 anyway presume they are all wa

tbh not clued up on areas just going off what other people say are good/bad
You are expected to swap your licence within 3 months. No practical test (not sure about theory).

As long as you have held your licence for 3 years or so you will not be subject to probationary restrictions.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

this is what got me worried mate...

H. Apply for a driver’s licence
If you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver’s licence from
another country, in English or with an official translation from an acceptable source,
you are allowed to drive for your first 3 months after arrival. After that, if you want to
drive, you will need to have the appropriate Australian driver’s licence. This
will usually require you to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an
eyesight test. In Australia, driver's licences are issued by state and territory
governments.
If you do not hold a licence from another country you will need to pass a Driver
Knowledge Test to get a learner's permit.
Department of Planning and Infrastructure 13 1156
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Diane-Stephen is an unknown quantity at this point

this is what got me worried mate...

H. Apply for a driver’s licence
If you are a permanent resident visa holder and have a current driver’s licence from
another country, in English or with an official translation from an acceptable source,
you are allowed to drive for your first 3 months after arrival. After that, if you want to
drive, you will need to have the appropriate Australian driver’s licence. This
will usually require you to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an
eyesight test. In Australia, driver's licences are issued by state and territory
governments.
If you do not hold a licence from another country you will need to pass a Driver
Knowledge Test to get a learner's permit.
Department of Planning and Infrastructure 13 1156
We have temporary visas, got our Oz driving licences from Rockingham WA, filled in forms, only test was eyesight. They take your photo and send licences in post few days later. Was a long queue though so allow plenty of time.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheers hope mine is as simple.....

not that i am a bad driver or anything its just the worry and hassle of taking a re-test that bothers me...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

think you have to do a test if coming from some countries but if you have a uk license you don't have to (guess they don't want us to show them up seeing how bad aussie drivers are)
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

i see!!

i just read that thread i posted and thought oh no another test lol!!

yeah read some were us brits have the hardest driveing test in the world anyway.......
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:20 pm
Beach Bum

paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

i see!!

i just read that thread i posted and thought oh no another test lol!!

yeah read some were us brits have the hardest driveing test in the world anyway.......
Don't know if it's one of the hardest but it is one of the most thorough
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

think its only so thorough so they can squeeze us for more money:curse::curse:
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:53 pm
Beach Bum

think its only so thorough so they can squeeze us for more money:curse::curse:
that would probably deserve a thread of it's own
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

it certainly would

3 main reasons for leaving uk, 1 tax, 2 foreigners and 3 better lifestyle

imho of course
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

3 main reasons for leaving uk, 1 tax, 2 foreigners and 3 better lifestyle
You may be heading for a disappointment in Australia.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

doubt it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.