Drive On

Old Jul 31st 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

BESWETAJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drive On

Can anyone advise me please. I took my written and practical driving test in Australia in 1995 I then had to return to the UK in 1996. I am returning next year to Australia (10 years after taking my test) can I just go and renew my licence with an updated photo etc or do I have to take the written test again. I have permanent residency.

The Poet
Old Jul 31st 2005, 11:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Drive On

Originally Posted by BESWETAJ
Can anyone advise me please. I took my written and practical driving test in Australia in 1995 I then had to return to the UK in 1996. I am returning next year to Australia (10 years after taking my test) can I just go and renew my licence with an updated photo etc or do I have to take the written test again. I have permanent residency.

The Poet
What State are you going to, and do you have a UK licence ?

Depending on the answer to that, it may be a simple answer, or it may need looking up

Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

BESWETAJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What State are you going to, and do you have a UK licence ?

Depending on the answer to that, it may be a simple answer, or it may need looking up
Thanks for your reply. I have a UK licence and I have an Australian licence. I took my test in 1996 and just wonder not living there for 10 years would it have expired?

The Poet
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BESWETAJ
Thanks for your reply. I have a UK licence and I have an Australian licence. I took my test in 1996 and just wonder not living there for 10 years would it have expired?

The Poet
With a UK licence, and going to NSW, ACT, WA or VIC, you will just swap the licence over, and get the relevant State Licence with no test at all.

In the other States, they may do the same, on production of your old Australian State Licence aswell. But I am not 100% certain on that.
If it was less than 5 years, I am sure it would be OK (as my wife did exactly that after 4 years), but 10 years ?