Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving in Australia

Drink Driving in Australia

Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Drink Driving in Australia

Be prepared when you arrive in Australia, to be random breath tested for drink driving with a bit more frequency than it happens in the UK.

The number of Breath Tests carried out in England and Wales in 2003 was 534,000, for a population of 54.4 million

The number of Breath Tests carried out in NSW alone in 2003 was 2,660,000 for a population of only 6.6 million.

About 5 times the number of tests for about one tenth the population = almost 50 times more likely to be tested.

Something to consider !!

However, the number of "positive" results were only just over 1% at 27,300 for the year.

True "positive" comparisons to the UK figures can not be made, as the UK only tests specific targets, accidents, traffic violations etc. And consequently the "positive" results have a higher % at 19.85% in 2003, and 14.83% in 1993.

info from: http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/drink_drive.pdf
and http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?from=storyrhs

Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving in Australia

Good point - they really crack down on it.

I can attest to the random testing, having been tested myself at 23:30 driving mrs sp back from the last ladies night out, I was of course sober as the proverbial (although the fumes from the passenger side were beginning to have an effect).

They shut the whole road - all 3 lanes of it - and divert every single car into be tested , no licences shown or anything - just breathalysed and on your way. They had caught 2 or 3 guys infront of us that were being knicked.

And good job too, Drink Drivers should be dumped on an island somewhere along with muppet parents who drive without kids seatbelted.(just not my island)

Last edited by spalen; Jun 27th 2005 at 10:06 am.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:20 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen

And good job too, Drink Drivers should be dumped on an island somewhere along with muppet parents who drive without kids seatbelted.(just not my island)
I agree, really dont know why in the UK they dont clamp down harder on drink driving!
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Be prepared when you arrive in Australia, to be random breath tested for drink driving with a bit more frequency than it happens in the UK.

The number of Breath Tests carried out in England and Wales in 2003 was 534,000, for a population of 54.4 million

The number of Breath Tests carried out in NSW alone in 2003 was 2,660,000 for a population of only 6.6 million.

About 5 times the number of tests for about one tenth the population = almost 50 times more likely to be tested.

Something to consider !!

However, the number of "positive" results were only just over 1% at 27,300 for the year.

True "positive" comparisons to the UK figures can not be made, as the UK only tests specific targets, accidents, traffic violations etc. And consequently the "positive" results have a higher % at 19.85% in 2003, and 14.83% in 1993.

My hubby was pulled over and breathalised at the weekend. He had no worries though as he hadn't touched a drop. I must admit I think it is good that they are strict about drink driving.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:37 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridiej
I agree, really dont know why in the UK they dont clamp down harder on drink driving!

Due to the civil liberties groups.

Imagine the outcry if the police closed the motorway to breathtest all drivers...?

....."Police state"
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:51 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with this, infact other countries should take note of this and maybe it'll reduce the death toll globally. The trouble is people who drink drive and result in no accidents believe everything is fine and they drive fine drunk or not.
Wot they need to do is visit the A&E, ICU departments and see the devastation caused to families,perhaps screening true uncut trauma events on TV more often might help reduce drink driving.
I also believe random breath testing police prior to starting duty should be done as there is a law for them and us.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 10:56 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point - they really crack down on it.

I can attest to the random testing, having been tested myself at 23:30 driving mrs sp back from the last ladies night out, I was of course sober as the proverbial (although the fumes from the passenger side were beginning to have an effect).

They shut the whole road - all 3 lanes of it - and divert every single car into be tested , no licences shown or anything - just breathalysed and on your way. They had caught 2 or 3 guys infront of us that were being knicked.

I have passed plenty of RBTs but never been pulled over. On christmas morning a ute aggressively pulled in front of me because of a jam. Little did he (or I know) there was an RBT ahead causing the jam. The ute got the last bay for the RBT and the cops waved us on.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Something to consider !!

On the recent public holiday I was driving the mrs to work at some ungodly early hour and saw the police close all 3 lines of the Princes Highway in the other direction - obviously trying to catch those who celebrated too hard the night before. Not being sure whats left behing in the system I decided to take a different route home just in case !
Old Jun 27th 2005, 12:23 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I have passed plenty of RBTs but never been pulled over. On christmas morning a ute aggressively pulled in front of me because of a jam. Little did he (or I know) there was an RBT ahead causing the jam. The ute got the last bay for the RBT and the cops waved us on.

Revenge is sweet isn't it.....
Old Jun 27th 2005, 12:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Police also have an unwritten rule here and that is if your out after 7pm in a tradies Ute expect to get a pull. I've been pulled over quite a few times the last time was as the other poster said returning from the girls night out in Brissie. All three lanes closed and everyone breath tested even an ambulance driver. Top idea IMO, though if you are caught you get to apply for a permit to drive to work and only cop a couple of months ban for a first offence seems very lenient.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

, Drink Drivers should be dumped on an island somewhere along with muppet parents who drive without kids seatbelted.(just not my island)
Agreed, but I think you should lay off your DVDs of 'The Prisoner' . Its not real, and you are not Patrick McGoohan

JTL
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:29 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Agreed, but I think you should lay off your DVDs of 'The Prisoner' . Its not real, and you are not Patrick McGoohan

JTL
I am not a number....
Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I am not a number....

I imagined you as a number 2.

JTL
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I imagined you as a number 2.

JTL
That is extremely witty JTL.

Bollox
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:28 pm
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cresta57
Top idea IMO, though if you are caught you get to apply for a permit to drive to work and only cop a couple of months ban for a first offence seems very lenient.
Not sure about QLD, but in WA its three months for 0.08 - 0.15(?) and those 'work only' permits are pretty hard to get. Basically you'd have to be at risk of losing your job to get one. Just needing one to get to work isn't a good enough reason, you need to drive as part of your job and not have any other alternative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.