Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dream or Reality?

Dream or Reality?

Old Feb 7th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Birdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really nice
Default Dream or Reality?

My wife and I frequently harbour on about making the move down under but have done little to make it real. I fear now however we may have left it too late! We are both 43 and we have a live at home son of 18. My wife is a serving police constable and I am a contracts manager for a heating company for which I hold relevent gas fitting qualifications. Would our age work against us? What would be the situation for our son to accompany us? I am testing the water with this, depending on responces, more questions may follow!
Thanks in advance
Andy

Just to add that we have visited twice, so have a little idea of what to expect with regards to the surrounds as it were.

Last edited by Birdman68; Feb 7th 2011 at 12:44 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 1:17 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dream or Reality?

Originally Posted by Birdman68
My wife and I frequently harbour on about making the move down under but have done little to make it real. I fear now however we may have left it too late! We are both 43 and we have a live at home son of 18. My wife is a serving police constable and I am a contracts manager for a heating company for which I hold relevent gas fitting qualifications. Would our age work against us? What would be the situation for our son to accompany us? I am testing the water with this, depending on responces, more questions may follow!
Thanks in advance
Andy

Just to add that we have visited twice, so have a little idea of what to expect with regards to the surrounds as it were.
welcome to BE mate

Have you checked the DIAC website to see if you are eligible for a visa and for the age acceptance? If not that's a great place to start mate and here's a link http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/

You need to know also that unless your son is dependent then he will have to apply under his own right - again this is explained on the DIAC site.

Its a great place to live so good luck mate
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

The age limit has just been extended out to 50 i think, and your qualifications should carry some weight. I am 42 and my O/H is 45, and we got in
Plus i hear they sell motorised wheelchairs if your worried
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Birdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really niceBirdman68 is just really nice

Originally Posted by deb68
The age limit has just been extended out to 50 i think, and your qualifications should carry some weight. I am 42 and my O/H is 45, and we got in
Plus i hear they sell motorised wheelchairs if your worried
Good news on the motorised ones, wont have to go looking for hills to roll down :-) Could anyone direct me to the sibling dependent area as our son is registered disabled,
cheers
Old Feb 7th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

owen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really nice

You go for it mate, Me and the wife went at aged 47, its no sweat. Just go with an open mind, Any more info just drop me a line
Old Feb 7th 2011, 5:33 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Birdman68
Could anyone direct me to the sibling dependent area as our son is registered disabled
If your son manages to get on as a dependent then I would be concerned about the health requirement for the visa. If his disability is severe enough then he cannot support himself then I'm not sure how he could pass the health criteria.