Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The dream is over, points level raised from 115 to 120

The dream is over, points level raised from 115 to 120

Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Mr&MrsPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The dream is over, points level raised from 115 to 120

We have received notification from our agent today that the points for skilled independant is raising from 115 to 120 effective 14th April 2004. Thats it, it is over for us, we have fast tracked our tra but we are still waiting.

Gutted, can't even let my husband know because he is in college all day today.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 7:59 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: The dream is over, points level raised from 115 to 120

Originally posted by Mr&MrsPom
We have received notification from our agent today that the points for skilled independant is raising from 115 to 120 effective 14th April 2004. Thats it, it is over for us, we have fast tracked our tra but we are still waiting.

That gives you reason the celebrate - now you can holiday frivolously in Aus no worries.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

To be honest I am not sure I want to go now because if I fall in love with the place then I will be even more depressed.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Really feel for you, you must be gutted. I cant beleive the agent has just told you, when the gov minister announced it was going to happen a WEEK ago. You could have been chasing the TRA id give them a piece of my mind if i were you.

Regional visas details will be announced soon, that does not mean the outback. Change your agent get some good advice.

The dreams not over until you stop trying.

Good luck

Angie
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:07 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

To be honest I am not sure I want to go now because if I fall in love with the place then I will be even more depressed.
Sorry to hear about that - when we applied, just the same thing happened to us (110->115) & for about a week (until we found out about STNI - have you loooked at that?), we investigated going to Canada instead of Oz. Actually, it seemed easier to get into than Oz, though the timescales were very long. Just a thought....

Good luck with whatever you do.

Anya.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

OK. Ascension Island
Ascension Island is Briton's preferred alternative.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:10 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The dream is over, points level raised from 115 to 120

I'm sooooo sorry for you.

Did you just meet the points score with the A$100,000 bond?

Have you considered working in the 'rural' areas where I understand the points score is still 115 ? (but no confirmation seen by me yet about this)

Would NZ suit you just as well?

A2O
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

yes we needed the extra 5 points from a bond. I am just talking to my friend in Oz and she said that some people she knows went in on state nominated but then when they got there just went to perth. She said that they just stamp your visa when you arrive and then you are on your own.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Not sure I am brave enough to do something that is technically illegal. Although another friend who used to live in Perth, said that it is easy to lose yourself over there, because of the vastness of the place, especially if you did not need medicare etc Ie had enough money but then if you had a load of money it shouldn't be an issue should it.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

You say you sent your TRA on the 6th January.,and had it fast tracked you should have recieved something now.Iagree your agent has been slack they should have chased the TRA for you.
Give your agent a call see what they say.
Really hope the regional visa comes off for you.
You never know it may work out better in the long run don't give up hope .
All the best your not on your own with this one
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Not sure I am brave enough to do something that is technically illegal. Although another friend who used to live in Perth, said that it is easy to lose yourself over there, because of the vastness of the place, especially if you did not need medicare etc Ie had enough money but then if you had a load of money it shouldn't be an issue should it.
Mrs Pom
Dont worry dear STNI is not illegal!!
Try to find ou some alternatives today before your husband gets home from college.
What kind of job does he do? Maybe we could check if his job is on one of the STNI lists.

Where were you hoping to go?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Debsy,

Thanks, I realise that STNI is not illegal, but going in on a stni for say the middle of aus and then just going and living in perth for eg would be illegal wouldn't it.

We struggled to find the correct class for my hubby because his work is so diverse but I actually found the spec, its not technically all he does but is part of it and he was able to prove it with certification etc. that was Telecommunications Engineer.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't give up!!

We talked to our agent as we are in the same boat as you and his answer was "No Worries". (Only 115 points)
You'll get the extra 5 points for a) if a relative over there can put up a bond or b) State nomination for you or your hubands skill.

In our case, we want to go to Adelaide, therefore Engineers of any description are in the most wanted. Go down the state nomination route and gain 5 points!!!

As I understand it, the Aus Gov have increased the points because everyone wants to go to Sydney. If you are prepared to live elsewhere for the time being, then you should be able to go with 115.

I'd ring around a few more agents and see what they say before you throw in the towel.

Chin up babe

Tazzy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Mrs Pom
I take it you wanted to go to Perth. If STNI is the only way you wıll have to go to another place for a couple of years first. You never know you might even like it!!

Give your agent a ring - are they in the UK?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:43 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

cant you submit your main application befoer you get your tra back?? You still have a week to get it in if not............
For stni, you dont need to meet any points pass mark.....as long as you meet the basic requirements (ie meet the pool mark of 70) you would have no probs getting stni!

good luck....

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.